Which enrichment center would u recommend for a 6mth-old?

mrsmorgan

Hope u mummies can help me on this.. im just confused over e different programmes.. gym, music, etc.. location-wise, i prefer west or central.. thks in advance!

Mummy to Baby V

We have been very happy with Shichida Method after one term, includes fine motor skills development, left/right brain development, lots of songs and great for parent-child bonding. We blog about it at Shichida Method |

The waiting list could be quite long, no deposit needed so it's fine to be on the list. No trial class, only video preview available at the centres.

Domique

None.
Good enough if mummy spend time reading some books, singing some songs, playing peekapoo, tummy and crawling time, Gym time, hide and seek time, speech and drama time when mummy do all the drama. Spending time chatting and having great eye contact.
I think if mummy can do the above for a 6 mth old, no need to intro enrichment classes yet.

Domique

Can do flashcards also. I forgot to mention. For me, I also label house items and bring my ds around e house as I read the labels to him. Eg. Television, windows, clock, picture.
Try dancing while carrying them as well. They love the movement and motion

Enjoy!

vinder79

Yup the best are flash cards and i also use CDS and Dvds.Like baby einstein dvds and BABY ELMO.The music is nice and soothing and easy to understand.My bay is 9 mths old now and can understand simple sentences.I am also sending him for jumble tots so he is able to interact with other kids better.

cmeilim

if u know of simple activities to do with your baby at home and is also budget-conscious, then no need for enrichment classes until he/she is older. most of us, if not all, grew up without them, without flashcards, without educational dvds, and we all turned out fine. isn't it? =)

for babies, they love repetition and learn thru repetition. to intro new vocabulary or simple instructions with short sentences, just keep pointing or acting out the sentence/word repetitively each day and it will register in their minds very quickly.

diymummy

My son has been in infant care since 3.5 mths.

When he falls sick, he will be at home with me.

I realised that when my boy stays home with me, he learns more than at the center.

Personally, I feel that maybe waiting till your kid is abt a yr would be better to send him for classes. Otherwise, gym or music class now would benefit your kid as gym class can help him develop his motor skills

Ting

6 mths old send to enrichment classes?
honestly, its just a waste of money. why pay ppl to do things which u can do yourself? also gives u the opportunity to bond with your kid.
seriously, your child hv a whole life ahead of him/her to learn new things, why start him/her off at 6 mths only? poor thing.....

Mummy to Baby V

We have been very happy with Shichida Method after one term, includes fine motor skills development, left/right brain development, lots of songs and great for parent-child bonding. We blog about it at Shichida Method |

The waiting list could be quite long, no deposit needed so it's fine to be on the list. No trial class, only video preview available at the centres.
More to add:
- I am very interested in children's education but have no concrete idea on what activities to engage my boy in at home. Attending Shichida classes with him 1 hour a week gives me a good guide and we replicate similar learning activities at home daily. It saves me a lot of time from researching online and figuring out what educational resources to get for him.

- Every day, we have card games, play with puzzles, go through flashcards, sing songs, do art & craft, have water play, etc. It is all very fun and engaging for my boy and it brightens up our day at home, while learning something daily.

- Children learn fastest and easiest from age 0 to 3, and have lots of free time, so we make use of this precious time to help him get a good headstart. With a good headstart, I believe he'd learn easily in formal school in future and have more time for activities he enjoy, e.g. sports, music, volunteer work, etc.. This way, he'd get to enjoy his childhood instead of struggling through school or spending a lot of time on schoolwork.

When choosing an enrichment centre, ensure that both you and your baby enjoy the activities. Have fun learning! :)

mrsmorgan

thk u mummies for ur opinions.. im thinking of sending him for those classes where babies get to interact with others n also bonding with mommy.. i do agree that doing such activities n bonding with baby at hm plays an important role too.. i just thought maybe it'll be fun to go to such classes as well n hopefully he'll be less intimidated by crowds since he's exposed socially since young.. it's not like im sending him for algebra classes for u to say "poor thing" right.. haha

anyways, ive decided to start him off in jan nxt yr.. he'll be ard 9mths by then..
sooo... back to e main topic, can someone RECOMMEND me a suitable center for a 9mth old? thks!

mrsmorgan

More to add:
- I am very interested in children's education but have no concrete idea on what activities to engage my boy in at home. Attending Shichida classes with him 1 hour a week gives me a good guide and we replicate similar learning activities at home daily. It saves me a lot of time from researching online and figuring out what educational resources to get for him.

- Every day, we have card games, play with puzzles, go through flashcards, sing songs, do art & craft, have water play, etc. It is all very fun and engaging for my boy and it brightens up our day at home, while learning something daily.

- Children learn fastest and easiest from age 0 to 3, and have lots of free time, so we make use of this precious time to help him get a good headstart. With a good headstart, I believe he'd learn easily in formal school in future and have more time for activities he enjoy, e.g. sports, music, volunteer work, etc.. This way, he'd get to enjoy his childhood instead of struggling through school or spending a lot of time on schoolwork. (love this point!)

When choosing an enrichment centre, ensure that both you and your baby enjoy the activities. Have fun learning! :)
thks mievee! i'll consider shichida method.. im looking for something where we get to do different activities n not only gym or music all e time.. =)

jojoki

my two cents worth,

for music and movements u may wanna try kindermusik, gymboree (gross motor) when he is learning to walk? Shichida is for brain training more on academics and I think need long term commitment to see results. Genius Space is a incorporates a bit of everything in a session. Theres also mygym and Julia Gabriels (Playnest) at forum.

Dont get me wrong I din attend all those, just feedbacks from friend who's kids are there. BUt I did go for some trial classes to get some ideas and replicated the activities at home.

Domique

hey,

join us in the mummysg meet up session to mingle with the babies and mummies can chill and chit chat too...
i am looking forward for the next session when i can catch all mummies too!

thk you mummies for your opinions.. im thinking of sending him for those classes where babies get to interact with others n also bonding with mommy.. i do agree that doing such activities n bonding with baby at hm plays an important role too.. i just thought maybe it'll be fun to go to such classes as well n hopefully he'll be less intimidated by crowds since he's exposed socially since young.. it's not like im sending him for algebra classes for you to say "poor thing" right.. haha

anyways, ive decided to start him off in jan nxt yr.. he'll be around 9mths by then..
sooo... back to e main topic, can someone RECOMMEND me a suitable center for a 9mth old? thks!

Mummy to Baby V

thks mievee! i'll consider shichida method.. im looking for something where we get to do different activities n not only gym or music all e time.. =)
You're most welcome! :) I got to know of Shichida only when my boy was 10 months old, also through this forum. By the time we started the first class, he was 14 months old. I realized he learnt very fast from about 9 months onwards, but I was not equipped with the right tools to stimulate him, until we started class.

Age 0-3 is all about giving input to the child, so do not expect any results yet. Nevertheless, my boy surprises me with what he has picked up all the time.

Shichida Method is much more than academics; it acually teaches me how to be a very loving parent. Children learn best and behave well when they can feel the parent's love. I am so glad to have started on the programme to learn with my boy.