Which piano to buy???

mumsietay

my 6 yo kid been learning piano thru keyboard for 2 years. was told that she need to go for exam in next july. was recommed by the teacher to get her a exam piano, either yamaha u1 and above and kawai brand.

I was quoted 4200 for a 30 year old U3, dont know the market price. anyone can advise if this pricing ok? it come with 5 years warranty and free delivery. also went to chritofori warehouse. found that their brand christofori and pearl river price are very good. almost half the price of yahama. if these two brand good?

I've heard that the resale value of U1 and U3 is always pretty high....ever saw someone putting a 10 year U1 for sale at 4,800. 30 years seems really old...Safer to get someone experienced to go with you to assess the condition of the piano... :)

Penguin Daddy

Alpha Male
I've heard that the resale value of U1 and U3 is always pretty high....ever saw someone putting a 10 year U1 for sale at 4,800. 30 years seems really old...Safer to get someone experienced to go with you to assess the condition of the piano... :)
after consideration with my wife, likely to get a lower cost one , maybe a second hand which cost 2-3 k one as my kid interest might change after some year.might look at cristofori range which could last for 3 to 5 year. think by than, my kid should be able to tell whether she like to carry on or not?

camom

so its advised to let kids play on keyboard when they just started to learn?

Depends on what age you start too.. If start very young, then the child's fingers might not be strong enough to hit the piano keys. If already big, then can start on piano straightaway. But the feel is very different for keyboard n piano.

shiyi

Depends on what age you start too.. If start very young, then the child's fingers might not be strong enough to hit the piano keys. If already big, then can start on piano straightaway. But the feel is very different for keyboard n piano.
yup the feel is very diff. thats y i think if let her play on keyboard 1st when the piano comes she not used to it how

pokemon97

yup, have to be very careful when buying 2nd hand piano..my cousin bought one but end up have to get a new one again. That's why i consider quite long over 2nd hand and new one and finally i bought the new one. For beginner, it shld be ok to use digital piano..my son use the Kawai digital piano till grade 5 then i change it. The touch is good so when he go for exam not so much diff.

Last edited:

mumsietay

I'm quite keen on the U1J (made in Jakarta) cos the U1 is far too expensive liao. But i read in another forum that; the U1J is not very good cos tuning problems or something like that. Anyone bought the U1J and have any feedback on it? I'm also looking at the JX113T which is much cheapter than U1J but wondering if it will be good to use up to grade 8. Anyone got any feedback on these 2 models?

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Anyone checked out Cristofori Warehouse Sale before?
Saw their brochure.... sales in May... I think it's mostly 2nd-hand pianos... at Blk 3014 Bedok Ind. Park E #02-2148.... but the models/brands all seems foreign to me.

mumsietay

Anyone bought Hailun HL125? It's made in China and there's pretty good reviews on it on Pianoworld forum. It is so much cheaper at $3,600 thereabout. The shop will also take it back at 50% if we sell it back within 5 years. Please do share if you have this piano.....

MsKoh1973

Anyone bought Hailun HL125? It's made in China and there's pretty good reviews on it on Pianoworld forum. It is so much cheaper at $3,600 thereabout. The shop will also take it back at 50% if we sell it back within 5 years. Please do share if you have this piano.....
wow, after 5 yrs still got buy back at 50%, can share name of the shop? ths.

mumsietay

The shop name is Piano Master at Geylang....now it's 50% cash back less $300 if u decide to sell back to the shop within 5 years......

Last edited:

nutcracker

HL125 is quite reasonable for the price tag. It sounds very different but not inferior to U1. It lend more towards Kaiwai's tone. I would recommend it to my students. Atlas A102 is OK too. I am planning to get a Hailun grand 161 myself once I saved enough. They are quite new in the market. I am not sure if they can stand the test of time but since it's warrant for 10 years....

I would rather have my students use an electronic keyboard if they were less than 4 years old. Because it would evolves round aural/ear training than actual playing. IMO, if their hands were not strong enough to handle an acoustic, don't force it. If their hands were already well-developed, don't pinch. It's not wise to train a jockey on a donkey even though both animal have 4 legs.

Last edited:

SJ_THS

I'm quite keen on the U1J (made in Jakarta) cos the U1 is far too expensive . But i read in another forum that; the U1J is not very good cos tuning problems or something like that. Anyone bought the U1J and have any feedback on it? I'm also looking at the JX113T which is much cheapter than U1J but wondering if it will be good to use up to grade 8. Anyone got any feedback on these 2 models?
I am also looking for piano. Went to Yamaha over the weekend and the salesperson also recommended U1J & JX113T. She also recommended the exam model YM5. My son is taking Grade 1 exam next yr March. Should I go for Yamaha brand ? Is it necessary to get YM 5, the exam model?

SJ_THS

I am also looking for piano. Went to Yamaha over the weekend and the salesperson also recommended U1J & JX113T. She also recommended the exam model YM5. My son is taking Grade 1 exam next yr March. Should I go for Yamaha brand ? Is it necessary to get YM 5, the exam model?

Anyone here owns Yamaha YM5?

jojoki

hi mommies can anyone please give me some reviews on Yamaha digital piano CLP 920? think of getting a 2nd hand one to teach my toddler. any comments appreciated! TIA

jojoki

hi mommies can anyone please give me some reviews on Yamaha digital piano CLP 920? think of getting a 2nd hand one to teach my toddler. any comments appreciated! TIA