Why my baby got no appetite?

november

Dear all,
I'm so worried! My 13 mths old boy had been taking porridge since 8 mths old and until recently, about a month ago, he started rejecting it and feeding time is like war to me now! He's always crying whenever I try putting porridge in his mouth and when finally stuff a spoonful into his mouth, he'll not swallow. Just keep it in the mouth. Feeding always take up more than 1.5 hrs and by then porridge already turn cold!
Can somebody tell me why is he rejecting? Is it bcuz,
1) he's tired of porridge? (cuz when I eat rice, he shows interest)
2) i've changed formula fm Friso2 to Gain IQ
3) teething (he has 4 teeth ontop 4 below)

I'm really afraid he's not eating enuf!

meiteoh

I think it's no 1 more than anything else. Can you imagine eating porridge every day for at least 4-5 mths? If you don't get bored of it, I'd really salute you.

Children are little adults, especially toddlers and are naturally curious, even about food. It's important to introduce a wide variety of foods in terms of flavour, texture and even colour because a wider variety means that they have a wider chance of getting in nutrients from a lot of sources and it keeps up their interest in food, making feeding easier for you as a parent. The downside is that it requires a lot of creativity from the parent but it's well-worth the effort, IMHO.

apollo

Dear all,
I'm so worried! My 13 mths old boy had been taking porridge since 8 mths old and until recently, about a month ago, he started rejecting it and feeding time is like war to me now! He's always crying whenever I try putting porridge in his mouth and when finally stuff a spoonful into his mouth, he'll not swallow. Just keep it in the mouth. Feeding always take up more than 1.5 hours and by then porridge already turn cold!

i agree with meiteoh, he is having porridge daily for so many mths!

rice and porridge are totally diffe things for a baby/kid though they come from the same thing. since he is interested in rice, y dun u intro him rice instead of porridge? i intro ds rice when he was 10mth+. i gave him abit at 1st den until 11mth i mix abit of rice into his porridge den slowly let him have rice + soup for dinner.

and other den rice/porridge, u can intro him macaroni, pasta, pancake, meesua. kuay tiaoo etc etc. theree are many food that a 13mth old can eat. dun just stick to porridge. =)

Lin XuaN

why dont you add some sliced carrots / minced meat / potato into the porridge or rice with soup to increase the flavours and also vitamins for the baby. at times, i will also add in some bird nest pieces (those really small broken pieces type which are cheaper) into the porridge. i hear that it can build up the immune system for the baby and also beautiful skin. (and my niece love it very much!)

igal_76

My son has the same problem at 9 mth. He started rejecting porridge and I switched him to rice. He ate a lot.
But recently, he's turning 1, he started to reject both porridge and rice. On good days, he still eats. Previously, I tried to give him pasta and cheesy stuff, he hates, like his mummy haha.
Running out of ideas... Haiz...

apollo

My son has the same problem at 9 month. He started rejecting porridge and I switched him to rice. He ate a lot.
But recently, he's turning 1, he started to reject both porridge and rice. On good days, he still eats. Previously, I tried to give him pasta and cheesy stuff, he hates, like his mummy haha.
Running out of ideas... sigh...
wow 9mths started to eat rice? means ur son can chew pretty well! haha!

ehhhh ds's menu is porridge, rice, mee sua, ABC pasta, organic animal pasta for lunch/dinner.. usually i will add chk/pork/ikan bilis stock into the soup.

as for breakfast, pancake, cheese bread, french toast, cereal (those for 12mth+ & above)

diymummy

All your above answers could be true. You can only find out by trial and error.

Whenever my son is teething, we would reject food.

I've tried changing different types of food with different textures and he still rejects it. So I could attribute it to teething. This bout of refusing food usually lasts 1 week to 2 weeks for my son.

bdaygrl

the same thing is happening with my 10 month old. im beginning to think she's just bored of eating! feeding time is so draining! she'll only eat if she's being entertained... with tv, toys, songs etc.! she can eat a lot if she's kept amused. is this normal?

Dear all,
I'm so worried! My 13 mths old boy had been taking porridge since 8 mths old and until recently, about a month ago, he started rejecting it and feeding time is like war to me now! He's always crying whenever I try putting porridge in his mouth and when finally stuff a spoonful into his mouth, he'll not swallow. Just keep it in the mouth. Feeding always take up more than 1.5 hours and by then porridge already turn cold!

maybe he doesn't like the taste of the porridge any longer. why not add a little flavor on it, which will enrich the taste of the porridge that your baby will like, and that will not lessen his intake of nutrients..

igal_76

wow 9mths started to eat rice? means your son can chew pretty well! haha!

ehhhh dear son's menu is porridge, rice, mee sua, ABC pasta, organic animal pasta for lunch/dinner.. usually i will add chk/pork/ikan bilis stock into the soup.

as for breakfast, pancake, cheese bread, french toast, cereal (those for 12mth+ & above)
Haha, at first I was worried that he couldnt take rice but he surprised me.
You gave me an idea, I should try mee sua too! But I thought babies shouldnt be given stock cubes?

How do you prepare your pancake and french toast? I inexperienced haha.
What cereal do you use and what do you add har?

apollo

Haha, at first I was worried that he couldnt take rice but he surprised me.
You gave me an idea, I should try mee sua too! But I thought babies shouldnt be given stock cubes?

How do you prepare your pancake and french toast? I inexperienced haha.
What cereal do you use and what do you add har?
those stocks i refering to are not those bought from supermarkets ones.. i cook my own stocks.

i used chk bones to make chk stock. boil for 1-2hrs and pour them into those ice cube tray (with lids) and freeze them in the freezer. aft frozen, pop them into a freezer bag. can use for a mth. aft 1mth if cant finish i will throw and make new stock. i also make ikan bilis stock, same way =)

french toast i just dip the bread into egg and use non-stick pan to 'fry' it. dont nd any oil. for pancake, i'm a lazy mum, so i use those ready-made pancake mix, just mix with water.. hehehe...

for cereal eversince ds reached 1yo, i started giving him nestle but noy daily. sometimes will alternative, give him those organic cereal. the brand i gave him is PLUM or sth? cos they hav cereal for 1yo =)

igal_76

Thanks for the reply! I will try too! Read about it in books but thought it would be troublesome to prepare stock. Er, bones can get from where har hehe. Never went to wet markets b4, only go ntuc or cold storage =P
Ikan bilis is it the dried ones or...?
I am thinking of starting to feed bread to my son but duuno is it ok for 11 mth plus babies...

apollo

Thanks for the reply! I will try too! Read about it in books but thought it would be troublesome to prepare stock. Er, bones can get from where har hehe. Never went to wet markets before, only go ntuc or cold storage =P
Ikan bilis is it the dried ones or...?
I am thinking of starting to feed bread to my son but duuno is it ok for 11 month plus babies...
NO! it's is NOT difficult to preparee your own stock! haha!

my mum is the one who help me get those bones. she got them from wet market. and for soup we use pork rib as stock base. Ikan bilis i just can from those supermarket/wet market. those 'uncooked' ones.

for bread, i started feeding ds at 9mth+ but he had some rashes and his pd said could be allergy so asked me to stop giving until he turns one. but i started giving again at 11mth+. u may wan to start from wholemeal bread =)

meiteoh

Actually pancakes are also very easy. I avoid those ready mixes because they have a very strange taste plus I dunno what additives they may put it in.

You can make pancakes from any type of flour - the texture and flavour will just be different. Just add flour (I sometimes use raw wheatgerm as well), egg, milk and whisk together before cooking in a nonstick pan. I have the exact measurements (aka the recipe) on my baby blog.

apollo

Apollo, uncooked = white shellfish?
Meiteoh, what's your site add?

Thanks!!
ehhh ikan bilis.. i mean, when u buy from supermarket/wet market, definitely is uncooked ones. those cooked ones i supposed is those fried one?

Hi mummies! Im having the exact same problem. I went to my gynae for advice and she gave me appetizer for my 15 month old son. But it isn't working. I've tried so many porridge for him e.g Carrot, Pumpkin, Chicken, Different types of fish etc. To my surprise, none of them, he wants to eat! He pushed it away and cried. What should I do? ))):