Will you allow your Child to learn how to ride a Motorbike and buy one?

potato

Dear Members,

This had been an ongoing issue among most Older Generation Singaporean parents, especially Chinese parents. They will forbade their kids to ride a motorbike due to the following reasons:

1) "Ride bike dangerous, you never see how many people died in bike crashes in Singapore regularly?"

2) "Ride bike low-class lah..can afford, buy car, if not take public transport."

3) "Mostly youngsters who ride bikes are Ah Bengs/ Ah Lians."

4) "Ride bike troublesome, when it rains, you get all wet."

My Hubby's parents didn't allow him to ride a bike too, but he secretly went for riding lessons and bought a bike. He was eventually found out. Mom/Dad in Law were furious but realized that there's nothing they can do to make him sell the bike and they eventually gave up. :001_302: As for myself, I have no issues with my dear daughter owning a bike when she reaches the legal age. :tlaugh:

How about you, fellow members? Will you allow your Sons/Daughters to ride a bike when they are old enough? :wong29:

chelle

My hubby ask me this qn too! Coz my hubby used to ride motorbike and he ask if i will allow our son to ride in future.

I guess i will allow, rather then he secretly go learn behide my back!

littlehelper

Hehe i would'nt allow.Its too dangerous.But if in the newer generation like mayb in 2020 everyone is using motor bikes i guess it will be quite safe to do so but now, i think it is super dangerous..

apollo

i dont think i'll allow... cause i've seen too many friends meeting accidents... getting into accident when u ride a bike and a car is diffe..

LWP6998

Alpha Male
i think it's dangerous. so i will not.
however, when i was young that time.. also took class 2b and class 2a license and bought a bike eventually than kena from my dad... hahahah....:tlaugh:

princessminn

i'll definately let him learn when he reach e legal age...
i even have e tot of sending him for kiddy ride at bbdc when he reach 7.
both mi n hubby ride plus hubby is a driving/riding instructor,so why shld we stop him??
isnt it weird not allowing him to do tt when he wan to?

Ting

if she wants to, i will allow. but i think bf or my parents will say NO!
hahaha, but i'll rather she'll take a car lic instead. :)

RS79

Alpha Male
For me I'll encourage my 2 daughters to take motorcycle license. Even if they dun wanna ride on a daily basis,learning new skills is always good

iwan2noe

Dear Members,

This had been an ongoing issue among most Older Generation Singaporean parents, especially Chinese parents. They will forbade their kids to ride a motorbike due to the following reasons:

1) "Ride bike dangerous, you never see how many people died in bike crashes in Singapore regularly?"

2) "Ride bike low-class ..can afford, buy car, if not take public transport."

3) "Mostly youngsters who ride bikes are Bengs/ Lians."

My Hubby's parents didn't allow him to ride a bike too, but he secretly went for riding lessons and bought a bike. He was eventually found out. Mom/Dad in Law were furious but realized that there's nothing they can do to make him sell the bike and they eventually gave up. :001_302: As for myself, I have no issues with my dear daughter owning a bike when she reaches the legal age. :tlaugh:

How about you, fellow members? Will you allow your Sons/Daughters to ride a bike when they are old enough? :wong29:
Hi potato,

For me, it is a strict 'No' from me. Unless there is a very valid reason or need to. I am those traditional thinking parent...hehe....

No offend, but,
To me, riding a bike is u on top of a piece of metal. While, driving a car is u are well protected in a big piece of metal, shield from strong wind and rain..

Just my 2 cts:001_302:

diymummy

Definitely a no from me too.

My hubby had a colleague who's son went to learn behind the dad's back. In the end, police called to say that his son died from a motor bike accident. The dad still thought that his son was hit by the bike only to find out that his son was riding it. Very sad story.

I think apart from saying no to our kids, we really need to build an open relationship with them where they feel free to negotiate with us. I'd rather have open disagreements than keep having things my way and have them do things behind my back and getting into trouble with them.

Have to agree that that's easy to say and hard to do, but hey, we're all first-time parents. We make mistakes too but I'd still always try to strive for that kind of relationship with my children.

Angelmum

2) "Ride bike low-class ..can afford, buy car, if not take public transport."

3) "Mostly youngsters who ride bikes are Bengs/ Lians."

:wong29:

HB is a rider due to the fact we cant afford a car. His work requires him to do shift so by the time he's off duty, mrt has stopped service. Frankly speaking, I dont like 2 wheels if we got a choice due to 皮包鐵 not 鐵包人 (car).

Mostly youngsters who ride bikes are Bengs/ Lians .... really? I see ladies riding 小綿羊 and some in long skirts, where got ahLian wear long skirts? HB persuading me to get license but I dont like to breath in exhaust (polluted air).