Wine Fridge for proofing

YoruVoly

Hi,
Is there an advantage to using a wine fridge (approx 53F) versus or in combination of a kitchen fridge at 39F? Appreciate any suggestions. Last couple weeks, I made a direct dough with 0.20 % IDY and put the bulk in the wine fridge for 14 hrs and it increased in size by a little more than double. I them moved the bulk to the 39F fridge for 60 hrs and it had no further growth at 39F. The pizza tasted great, 550F on a steel.

Does it make sense to choose yeast level so it doubles or triples in the wine fridge within 12-24 hrs and then move it to 39F for 2-3 days? I’m using 12.7% bread flour with 15% of the BF replaced with a stone ground hard wheat flour as suggested by Marc Vetri.

Also considering biga or poolish with similar use of the wing fridge followed by the 39F fridge.

Thanks​

Lyayozoce

I also am interested in the answers to your questions.

Reading on this forum and elsewhere, it seems that the home pizza maker is confronted with a dilemma: On the one hand, cold fermentation develops different and desirable flavors vs RT fermentation. On the other hand, home fridge temperatures slow the fermentation to nearly zero, as the yeast becomes practically dormant. One would think that an in-between alternative like your wine fridge would be great, given the right combination of yeast amount, time, and order of events.

I hope you get some helpful responses from the experts! :)

Hello, guys. I'm very grateful for your help, actually. I thought my request was too specific, but I'm happy I've managed to find something useful about it. Thanks a lot!! You know, I was even ready to call this service musiccityappliance.services to ask them this question. Luckily my friend shared this thread with me a few days ago, so I can keep making wine and pizza. Tbh, I couldn't imagine that one day making wine would become my main hobby. It's an extremely interesting process, actually!! So, guys, let's keep this thread updated. Best wishes to you all.