Would you be interested in such confinement arrangements?

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
I'm trying to get a feel on whether this business can thrive ...

In Taiwan, they have such a set-up as Confinement Centre (做月中心), where the facility is designed with 15-20 rooms for mum & baby ... you stay in for 4 weeks, with confinement food for 3 meals, laundry done for you & the baby, plus opportunities to mingle with other "confined mums".

For those who actually engaged or intend to engage confinement ladies (some even from overseas), I'd appreciate if you can help answer my questions below:

1) Would you be interested in such a set-up?
2) How much are you willing to pay for a 4-week stay-in package?
3) Are there any special requests you must have?

Feel free to pose any questions if you need any more clarifications, pertaining to such a set-up.

THANKS ... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ah Cheng

Hihi.
I think this will works more for foreigners staying in Spore rather than local.

Personally, I dont like the idea of staying at CC. I still perfer with my family members and hubby around with me. I will feel much comfortable at home. If mummy n baby stayed at the CC, Daddy will have little bonding with baby.
I paid for S$2k for my Malaysia confinement lady, which include looking after baby in the night, cook my 3 meals + hubby's dinner, washing baby n my clothes, plus some minor cleaning. So if only the CC rate is less than $2k, then can consider.

Maybe include the following to attract ppls (could be after confinement month cos now got 4mths maternity leave)

- teaching mummy how to take care of baby (including bathing, changing diapers, patting baby to sleep...)
- Post natal massage service
- Teaching baby massage class
- Yoga or other exercise to help to lose weight

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
Ah Cheng said:

I think this will works more for foreigners staying in Spore rather than local.
THANKS for responding ...
However, foreigners or not, all women also wouldn't enjoy going through the confinement on their own.
What I thought this set-up could provide is a guaranteed standard of confinement practices ... instead of the many ladies who have "complained" about the unhappiness with their confinement ladies, most of whom are paid good money based on hearsay quality ... but really have no concerns about repeat business.

Ah Cheng said:
Personally, I dont like the idea of staying at CC. I still prefer with my family members and hubby around with me. I will feel much comfortable at home. If mummy n baby stayed at the CC, Daddy will have little bonding with baby.
The individual rooms I'm looking at will be comparable to an A-class room in any of the local hospitals ... with a sofa bed for the hubby, if he chooses to stay over (at an extra but token cost).
Of course, this cannot be compared to the comforts of your own home ... but in exchange for the complete confinement services without barry a worry on the mummies' part, I thought it could be an acceptable compromise.
Moreover, the set-up I have in mind would not deny the daddies from bonding with the babies.

Ah Cheng said:
I paid for S$2k for my Malaysia confinement lady, which include looking after baby in the night, cook my 3 meals + hubby's dinner, washing baby n my clothes, plus some minor cleaning. So if only the CC rate is less than $2k, then can consider.
The set-up I have in mind is intended to provide all the services you mentioned, except the hubby's dinner (which can still be included at an extra but token cost) & the house cleaning (for obvious reasons).
I thought more of the mummies might appreciate the hubby services as opt-in ... so that they can avoid spending the money for the services which they dun really need.
My confinement ladies will work 12-hour shifts like nurses.
During the night, unless you choose to, babies will be gathered at the nursery (just like in the hospitals) where they will be taken care of by the confinement lady at a 1:5 ratio ... while it's not 1:1, I thought this arrangement would ensure the confinement ladies here are more well-rested to serve you better, compared to the live-in confinement ladies who are expected to "work round the clock".

Cost-wise, I'm actually looking at $2k ... now that you've heard my piece further, would you still engage my services?
If not, what is it that is still stopping you from doing so?

Ah Cheng said:
Maybe include the following to attract ppls (could be after confinement month cos now got 4mths maternity leave
- Teaching mummy how to take care of baby (including bathing, changing diapers, patting baby to sleep...)
- Teaching baby massage class
- Post natal massage service
- Yoga or other exercise to help to lose weight
IMHO, "bathing baby", "changing diapers", "carrying baby", "keeping baby calm" & "putting baby to sleep" should all be inclusively taught by a good confinement lady ... but in current practices, this is usually no longer the case.
Baby massages are good for bonding ... as well as to get the excessive gas out of the babies' system. So, I'm also of the opinion that mummies should be taught how to do this correctly.
In the set-up I have in mind, the facility will also have a common area for such stuff to be taught & practised on a daily basis ... as long as the mummy is fit to leave her bed & is in the mood to learn/practise/mingle.
In short, I'd have no problems providing the above extras ... under the $2k package.

As for providing post-natal massages for mummies, as well as conducting yoga or pilates classes, I think it is also manageable as an opt-in option ... aligned to market rates (those of community centre standards).
However, I'd need more show of hands to gauge whether there is a need to look for bigger premises to accommodate these activities, although I'm fully aware that the yoga & pilates classes can still be conducted in the said common area, if really necessary ... but a small studio with mirrored walls would have been more ideal.

Dun shy shy lah, come forth with more comments please. THANKS. :wink: :wink:

kathtan

If not wrong, there is already something here, some xx pei yue centre. Let me go google first. Came across this when i was searching for CL. In Malaysia, there are a few such centres in place now. Guess everyone has their preference:)

Porukadotzu

i tink such confinement centre will work for single mum or mum who don't have anyone to help her during confinement.

but maybe 2k is kinda too expensive for single mum, coz they just spend money for hospital delivery, i doubt they would spend another 2k for confinement centre.

2k is normal charge for confinement lady who personally take care of mum at home, while at the centre the service will be less personal than at home so i tink should be lesser than 2k, i tink tat would attract ppl.... hehe

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
kathtan said:
If not wrong, there is already something here, some xx pei yue centre. Let me go google first. Came across this when i was searching for CL. In Malaysia, there are a few such centres in place now. Guess everyone has their preference:)
Thanks ... do lead me to those links.

CanCanMum

These are purely my personal views......if u have answered anyone before me can ignore my question hor....coz i have not read other members questions before posting mine.

ANS: YES if it is not too costly, at least the rates must be comparable to confinement nannies who goes to your doorstep.

ANS : $1500 to $1800 (for caregivers) , $1000 (for confinement foods)

ANS : My main concern will be PRIVACY. As confinement is a time where we need to rest and sleep most of the time, breastfeeding sessions etc. Chances of mingling around with other mums may not be suitable for me. Also every room needs to have an attached toilet. Husband must be able to stay in with me. If transport can be arranged (2 trips enuff) will be very much better (picking you up at hospital on day of discharge and sending you + baby home after the confinement) The picking you up is important becoz most likely we will be bringing quite a number of stuff from home. Will be great if it includes a place for holding full month baby shower. As most of us during confinement may not be mobile yet, will require room to room service when serving confinement meals.

Other questions:
1) Will there be 24 hours looking-after-baby service?
2) Will they also do confinement the traditional way?
3) Who will provide all the confinement food stuff and baby supplies?
4) How about herbs for bathing etc? Boils down to item 2)

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
Porukadotzu said:
i tink such confinement centre will work for single mum or mum who don't have anyone to help her during confinement.

but maybe 2k is kinda too expensive for single mum, coz they just spend money for hospital delivery, i doubt they would spend another 2k for confinement centre.

2k is normal charge for confinement lady who personally take care of mum at home, while at the centre the service will be less personal than at home so i tink should be lesser than 2k, i tink tat would attract ppl.... hehe
If lesser than $2k, you'd be attracted with $1.8k, $1.5k or $1.2k?
Please dun just tell me the lower the better ... :biggrin: :biggrin:

CanCanMum

lesser than $2k is not possible becoz the other time the amount of money i spent on buying ingredients (meats, kampung chickens etc) already costs me $1k. Minus out $1k the confinement caregiver only takes $1k? A bit little isn't it? For 24 hours on call service? (At least that is the standard i expect for such centres to work)

CanCanMum

If staying in confinement centres is like staying in subsidized hospitals i will rather not go.....becoz we need personal service during confinement. And for that to work it must be personal to every patient's needs, not just serving a lot of pple at the same time.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
CanCanMum said:
lesser than $2k is not possible becoz the other time the amount of money i spent on buying ingredients (meats, kampung chickens etc) already costs me $1k. Minus out $1k the confinement caregiver only takes $1k? A bit little isn't it? For 24 hours on call service? (At least that is the standard i expect for such centres to work)
Appreciate that you are looking at the problem ... compared to your own confinement experience.
Honestly, I'm looking at charging $2k to $2.5k for a 4-week package ... but for a start, I'm willing to accept $2k.
Since a few already hinted that it should be lesser than $2k, I thought I should solicit for a more accurate indication of what actually constitutes "lesser than $2k" ... hopefully, it's not too far off from $2k lor.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Have to go run some errands first, will get donw to answering your questions when I get back later. Ciao.

rainypink

im so interested lor! I heard about this service in taiwan and am so envy, wondering who will set up this service for singaporeans mummies.

$2k seems very reasonable to me for a 4 week stay and a caregiver 24 hours..

The one i saw was Hello Kitty ok! Cool!:wong19:

Porukadotzu

If lesser than $2k, you'd be attracted with $1.8k, $1.5k or $1.2k?
Please dun just tell me the lower the better ... :biggrin: :biggrin:
well i guess if you can manage to charge lesser than 2K is better, but if you ask me how low is the better then how'd i know?? hehehhehe!

ofcoz you hv to calculate all your expenses, profit n etc...

but anyway, if your service is good n reliable and the environment cozy, i tink your target customer dun mind to spend too..