y cannt drink plain water during confinement period?

felicity

Sigh, my own mother also doesn't allow me to drink plain water :( told her I'm breastfeeding feel dehydrated, she just tell me drink more red dates longan tea...

StrdCloud

i believe you can and should drink plain water during confinement.

I am husband doing confinement for my wife, and after doing a lot of research for her on the topic of confinement,
I strongly believe and encourage her to drink lots of water as I saw her lose a lot of blood during her delivery.
We are going through our first week of confinement, and I can tell she is recovering quite quickly.
Her swollen legs, and the water retention she is so worried about has already subsided.

I am not a doctor, but I know that water retention usually occurs due to lack of water inside the body, thus the need to retain it. (ironic isn't it?) but thats how the body functions.

If you sit down to think logically, the red dates, longans, dang gui, and gou qi (wolf berries), what are they cooked in? Water right? Do you think that these things are absorbed into the blood stream? No. LOL

However, it is good to drink this traditional Chinese drink as all these 4 main ingredients contain A LOT, of anti-oxidants,as well as vitamins, which thus actually boosts your immunity system during this period of time which you are very weak.

Hope my findings help.

felicity

My confinement is over n I survived on the red date longan tea... But I always add water to it to dilute and increase vol of fluid intake.. Irony is on the first 2-3 days I actually drank plain water while still in hospital right after delivery.. So I asked my mum I drank in first few days and im totally fine so why cannot just let me drink.. But she insisted so aiya just follow lor since I was doing confinement at my parents' place..

Hi Everyone,
I nvr hrd about the plain water issues b4 but i was only told not to drink cold drinks during confinement.. Didn't drink all those dates, longan drinks etc etc too cos my in law n parents nvr gave me.
But I believe drinking plain water is gd as
It helps in clearing your system n especially if u r breastfeeding ..

It is tot that red date drink helps to warm up the body and helps with breastfeeding as in increasing supply as well. Plain water on the other hand, causes water retention and very difficult to get rid of the water retention in later stage.

My gynae told me there is no evidence to show that red date drink is beneficial in any way. but then old pple said is good so I just follow. I did not drink plain water during confinement for my first child and even 1 mth after my miscarriage. Just drink red date drink. so far so good. not much water retention during those periods

Actually why din u wan to drink red date drink? If is ok, I think can take red date drink thru out but if u wan, dilute it with hot water. I dun see harm in not drinking plain water

Mreow Mreow

Actually why din u wan to drink red date drink? If is ok, I think can take red date drink thru out but if u wan, dilute it with hot water. I dun see harm in not drinking plain water

I dont mind taking..
Just not 100% of the time...

I love plain water :D
Ice water especially.. haha

lovepixie

red date water is too sweet for my liking :( can i take ginger tea instead? i already bought a lot of instant red date, real red date, instant ginger tea so that could alternate.. i was afraid my tastebud get bored... confinement = cannot go out house... must at least get to enjoy a bit of variety in the types of limited drinks.. hahaha

tash

Try to drink boiled water my mum use to add 1tablespoon fennel in 2ltr water and boil it for 10minutes...fennel help for gastric problem as that time stomach is very sensitive

lyra

Go to buy ingredients for very good tasting red date tea! I did drink water last time for confinement as I want to hydrate more as Im breastfeeding but the red date tea my mil bought from the Chinese physician is so good tasting that I really don't mind replacing water with that! I drank a lot a lot! My fren's mil made bitter tasting red date tea for her and she had to pretend to drink and but pour away and secretly drink water. Poor gal.

Pauleen

For those that are confused, I suggest listening to your gynae :)
Apart from ordering confinement tingkat, I did not have any different drinks during my confinement last year. I even drank cold water and I'm not any weaker too:)

As for water retention, your body needs water (our body is made up of 70% water) and if you don't drink enough water, your body will "retain" the water so that it will have enough - thus water retention. So drink up, ladies!