y does e milk keep coming back??

mrsmorgan

ive stopped bf aft 2wks, took e meds to stop supply.. few days ltr breasts got engorged again so went back to gp.. had to take med again.. milk stopped for few days then this morn breasts felt full again! so i pumped out n felt better aft that but then aft i had a shower at 12 just now, milk started leaking out!! y arent e meds workin?? :err:

nsync_su

ive stopped bf after 2wks, took e meds to stop supply.. few days ltr breasts got engorged again so went back to gp.. had to take med again.. milk stopped for few days then this morn breasts felt full again! so i pumped out n felt better after that but then after i had a shower at 12 just now, milk started leaking out!! y arent e meds workin?? :err:
Why would u stop bf if ur milk supply is good?

mrsmorgan

Why would you stop bf if your milk supply is good?
1) im handling bb alone n he's awake most of e time n wants to be carried
2) i find it tiring to pump every few hrs
3) i cant afford to get another infection n fall sick again
4) if i suffer frm engorgement, it hurts when i carry my bb
5) i'd hav to stop in between pumping n look aft bb

:embarrassed:

lekdao

1) im handling baby alone n he's awake most of e time n wants to be carried
2) i find it tiring to pump every few hours
4) if i suffer frm engorgement, it hurts when i carry my baby
5) i'd hav to stop in between pumping n look after baby

you using manual or electric pump?
My friend told me his wife used electric twin pump, needed 10 mins to clear both breast.

mrsmorgan

you using manual or electric pump?
My friend told me his wife used electric twin pump, needed 10 mins to clear both breast.
avent single electric.. but i find that it's faster if i use it manually..

now prob is im nt sure if my milk is safe for bb cos i took e meds.. n if just need to pump like 2-3 times a day i dont really mind.. i also find that it's a bit lechey if my breasts feel full when im outside n need to pump.. n my breasts start to itch when i use e pigeon breast pads so it's annoying when milk starts to leak n i cant use breast pads!

nsync_su

now prob is im not sure if my milk is safe for baby cos i took e meds.. n if just need to pump like 2-3 times a day i dont really mind.. i also find that it's a bit lechey if my breasts feel full when im outside n need to pump.. n my breasts start to itch when i use e pigeon breast pads so it's annoying when milk starts to leak n i cant use breast pads!
Ahhhh!!!! I agree on the lechey part. Yeah, sometimes im in middle of some place where its not convenient to pump outside and my breasts soooo full tat my shirt was all wet, even i wore breast pads. Yeah, very lechey. Summore my lil boy loves to sleep even when its time to eat. So i needed to pump and during pumping, he would wake up and wants milk... aiyah.. then not enuf for him if i latch him on. Yeah... lechey. Im thinking of stopping bf too, still thinking.

lekdao

now prob is im not sure if my milk is safe for baby cos i took e meds.. n if just need to pump like 2-3 times a day i dont really mind.. i also find that it's a bit lechey if my breasts feel full when im outside n need to pump.. n my breasts start to itch when i use e pigeon breast pads so it's annoying when milk starts to leak n i cant use breast pads!
you can call up your GP to check is it save to feed the milk. Try taking pig liver if you really want to stop breastfeeding. dun take stuffs tat help to increase milk, like cereal, milo. horlicks etc. Hv u try other brand of breast pad like falcan, tolly joy.

paperger85

Wah...I wish I had that problem!! My supply is so little and I keep having to pump and pump in order to have enough to feed my darling girl...

Phoebii Cheng

Actually, why not u just latch ur bb? It is easier than pumping out....

Verona's

My supply drops at 6 week because i pump out lesser like usually during 1 month i get 180ml & 120 ml , i reduce till 150ml & 100ml then slowly till 120ml & 120ml & i also drag the time from 3 hrs to 4-5 hrs ( that time wanted to stop ) but for baby's gd i changed my mind i was feeling damn tired & pain too but no choice till baby 2 month old i try to latch on then it works !! Life is easier by then :) i nv pump now most of the time latch on but if pump i can only get 80ml .. Try decreasing the amount of milk you pumping out & drag the time ..

stonston

Have you seen a lactation consultant about the latching prob? My boy took some time before he learnt to latch too.

PinkDiamonds

when i decided to stop BFing my girl, i was still leaking milk for another 1-2 months. when i tried to pump out to see if i had a lot of milk, it was only very little. so i believe it will take some time before u stop leaking milk after showers, and finally no milk at all. :)

cmeilim

hi mrsmorgan

actually these 'inconveniences' you experience are not unique. i too was handling my baby on my own during my maternity leave and suffered infection (till fever and chills) a few times, as well as shooting breast pains and chills. they lasted for nearly two months. i believe many other moms in this forum went thru similar experiences. but i believe we all persevered because we were convinced of the far greater and longer-term benefits of breastmilk over these short-term 'inconveniences'.

engorgement is a temporary problem, and will not recur after your milk supply has stabilised with your baby's demand.

infection can be treated. if it keeps recurring, seek treatment with professionals for both mom and baby.

as for baby not knowing how to latch, as stonston mentioned, some babies take a longer time to get the latch right. the way to help your baby and yourself is to go and see an LC and get her to correct your latch, and then keep practising at home, at every feed. i am sure your baby will get it soon, so again this is a short-term problem that can be corrected. your baby is still young. he can learn fast. look at it this way, if a child does not know how to read the alphabet, the parent is not going to evade the problem and just let the situation stay as it is, right? the parent will seek professional help to aid the baby is reading, right?

as for the greater and longer-term benefits of breastfeeding, i am sure you know them all - antibodies, immunity-building, bonding, convenience when going outdoors (just latch, no need to lug pump/milk powder/hot water/bottles) etc. just a few months of breastfeeding can benefit the child for a lifetime!

mrsmorgan, i know several other moms in this forum will be envious of your situation - that you have lots of milk for your baby. it's a 'happy problem'!! =) i know some of them will gladly trade places with you in this aspect.

at the end of the day, breastfeeding is like any parenting and babycare choice that a parent needs to make. it is a personal choice, although of cos it has implications on the baby/child. if u still feel that it suits your lifestyle or babycare arrangements better to stop breastfeeding, despite all benefits of breastfeeding, no one should make you feel guilty abt it. if u decide to continue breastfeeding, it is definitely not too late now, and many of us here will certainly support you. if u encounter any problems during breastfeeding or just need a place to air whatever grouses you may have when taking care of your baby, you know you just need to come online here, and we are always here for you. =)

gambatte and enjoy all aspects of motherhood!

mrsmorgan

Thks cmeilim mummy..
At first I hesitated to post this issue here cos i felt that many mummies will feel that im a bad mother for wanting to stop bfing n i'd start to feel guilty abt it all over again but then i thought it is indeed a personal choice.. I know other mummies experienced those inconveniences i mentioned too yet they still continued to bf n i salute them for that..
My boy cant latch cos of my inverted nipples.. I tried using a nipple shield which worked at first but then he got frustrated n would scream each time maybe bcos he had to suck harder or e milk wasnt flowing fast enough.. This is y i had to resort to expressing n bottle-feeding.

PinkDiamonds

mrsmorgan,
u r not a bad mother if u decide to stop BFing for certain reasons. Don't feel guilty about it. Initially I also felt very guilty about it as I wanted to exclusively BF my girl for 1 year. Whenever I feed my girl a bottle of FM or EBM, I felt very guilty.

We're all pro-BFing, thus we encourage everyone to try to BF as much as they can, as long as they can. We're here to help each other overcome BFing challenges, thus the posts that offer you an alternative to try to continue to BF.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice so there is no need to feel guilty about it. If you believe it helps you sleep better, think better, and therefore function better everyday, then go ahead and stop. After all, you do need good health to be able to look after your baby, which is most important.

MrsMorgan,

dont't pump out the milk once you took the medication, the engorgement will slowing go away though your breasts will still leak, try put cold cabbage or frozen cabbages on your breasts, i had the same problem during my 1st pregnancy. Plus the medication is not bf safe if i remember correctly so you can't give the expressed milk to your baby.

It is indeed very lechey and my breasts are always lumpy and if i am slightly late for my 3 hrly pumping schedule ( my girl now refuses to latch on now, all thanks to my lazy hubby who gave her variable flow teats coz he felt bottle feeding time was too long), my breasts will be engorged.
In fact i was in and out of hospital for mastitis and see numerous times lactation consultants (my breasts are now so manipulated now) but i will persevere on as i believe its the best nutrients for my baby even though my hubby and my mother in law prefers FM for convenience.

I do feel i am house bounded due to the pumping schedule but luckily i seeked the nurse advice, she said if die die no choice and i am outside, release so pressure/milk from breasts and massage the breasts, then go home later to pump. So far it works for me.

Another lechey thing is my let-down of milk is so slow! I take 1 hr to pump 150ml from both breasts using single swing. Decided to buy another pump but still 30mins to pump 75mil??? Basically i am obsessed with my breasts and pumping now, everyday my husband comes back from work and see me pumping milk, not a very glam side of me...LOL

Last edited: