Your most recommended brand of fenugreek?

Callie

Hi Mummies

May I know whats your favorite/most recommended brand of fenugreek (buy from where and etc)?

Bought Sacred tea but I can't stand the taste so didn't drink it. Prefers capsules =D

Thanks in advance!
Callie

ifah03

Hi Callie,

I used GNC brand. 2 in the morning and 2 at night.
then, when I kept getting 'full', only took one tablet at night.
very efficient.

My cousing used Nature's Own, she said it is good to.

Do give funegreek a try, worked for me!

Callie

Thanks babe! I'm going to buy now. I bought a bottle from nature's way 10 months ago but eat abit only coz milk all along more than enough. Now not enough to meet demand le wanna buy a new bottle to try cox that one scare spoil alr. Lol

Thanks again!

ast0212

Hi, I'm not sure if you have this brand in Singapore, it's called Herbs of Gold Breastfeeding Support. Each capsule has 1500mg of Fenugreek and 500mg of Blessed Thistle - another galactogogue. It comes in bottles of 60 capsules for around $30 in Australia so it could be more or less the same price in Singapore.

ubergreeniee

hi mummies,

i'm new here and very concerned with a dipping supply of breast milk. used to have a lot but wasn't active in pumping and am weaning baby from the breast.

how much is the fenugreek from GNC? how many capsules are there in a bottle and how long can it sustain?

TIA :)

magdalenechoo

hi mummies,

i'm new here and very concerned with a dipping supply of breast milk. used to have a lot but wasn't active in pumping and am weaning baby from the breast.

how much is the fenugreek from GNC? how many capsules are there in a bottle and how long can it sustain?

TIA :)
i just bought a bottle this afternoon at GNC. the usual price is $29 but with membership, you get 20% discount.
the bottle i bought is 100 capsules - was told to start off with 1 capsule per day then increase accordingly... :D

whitecatz

Hi,

just my thoughts because of personal experience.

Fenugreek capsules did not work for me. It increased the milk, yes, but it also caused very bad colic in my baby. She was puking up every feed until I stopped my fenugreek intake. And I only took 1 cap of the GNC brand a day. Then I read up that fenugreek on its own actually just thins out the milk. So you get more milk but it is thinner. So it needs other herbs to thicken/enrich the milk.

If you find the taste of Sacred Tea horrible, try the loose tea blend from the Birth Shop. I found the fruity blend very very nice :)

Jode

Hi,

just my thoughts because of personal experience.

Fenugreek capsules did not work for me. It increased the milk, yes, but it also caused very bad colic in my baby. She was puking up every feed until I stopped my fenugreek intake. And I only took 1 cap of the GNC brand a day. Then I read up that fenugreek on its own actually just thins out the milk. So you get more milk but it is thinner. So it needs other herbs to thicken/enrich the milk.

If you find the taste of Sacred Tea horrible, try the loose tea blend from the Birth Shop. I found the fruity blend very very nice :)

Hi, may i ask what other herbs to take to thicken/enrich the milk?
i just started taking fenugreek a couple of days ago. milk does not seem thinner.. just that the colour seems to have changed abit...

whitecatz

Hi, may i ask what other herbs to take to thicken/enrich the milk?
i just started taking fenugreek a couple of days ago. milk does not seem thinner.. just that the colour seems to have changed abit...
LOL I'm not a herbalist :) I buy the ready blends, drink once a day when milk is low. I try to increase milk by diet, not medication. Once herbs are taken in capsule/tablet form, the amount eaten is a lot :) And the herbs in the milk tea blends are very good for your own health too.

Most milk teas have fennel seeds (helps with let down), alfafa (very rich in nutrients), hops and others. The blends are all different so actually, depending on what your body needs, you may need to try different milk tea blends to find what you need. I have found some blends better than others.

Food that increase milk very effectively:
Oatmeal, Barley, Cinnamon. I drink milo (made with malted barley) with a few teaspoon of oatmeal and a couple of dashes of cinnamon 3 times a day (morning, afternoon tea, supper). Cinnamon is very high in iron (milk is made from your blood :) ). it is so effective that if you feel the slightest bit engorged, stop the cinnamon.
When I want to have extra milk, I drink barley water and the mother's milk tea in the same day. That usually gives me 1 ounce more easily (2ounces if I nap more haha)

Make sure you have enough good oils, iron, calcium, protein in your diet, preferably from food. Milk is made up of all that ;)

Food that dry up milk:
Herbs in the parsley and mint family. Sage. Cold medications - if it can dry up your drippy nose, it can dry up your milk. Caffeine - prevents letdown of milk in some people.

That said, pump/latch more, less stress. All the food/herbs/meds you take will not help because milk is made only when it is removed from the breast.

Sorry if I sound preachy but there are so many ways of increasing milk through food and nutrition. I found out the hard way haha :)

Apfel

Fenugreek alone didn't really work for me. I upped my dosage but didn't notice an increase in milk supply. Instead, it made my baby very gassy.

Then I switched to Motherlove more milk special blend alcohol free tincture and after 2 days my boy stopped hitting me on the chest in the evenings because he wasn't getting enough milk. :001_302: Such a relief.

The tincture is a blend of goat's rue, fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, nettle and fennel seed - all ingredients used in cooking around the world. It's manufactured with certified organic herbs and in an FDA registered, GMP certified facility. You can take a look at reviews on Amazon.com (I got mine at a local eShop). Tastes a bit like chuan bei pi pa gao. They have it in capsule form too but I read that the tincture would be absorbed faster.

If fenugreek alone doesn't work for you too, you could give this a try. Every mum is different and what works for one may not work for another.

bigmommylove

I just tried the cheapest bottle I could find. After one week, I had no increase but I did smell like maple syrup.

For herbs to work, you have to use a lot of them.

I would just pick a brand and get started on them. Every mom is different. If fenugreek doesn't work by itself after a week, you will probably need to use a multi product like Breastea. With Breastea (do a websearch for it) I went from pumping 1/2 ounce to over 5 ounces. Just make sure that whatever product you use to use it daily.

I just tried the cheapest bottle I could find. After one week, I had no increase but I did smell like maple syrup.

For herbs to work, you have to use a lot of them.

I would just pick a brand and get started on them. Every mom is different. If fenugreek doesn't work by itself after a week, you will probably need to use a multi product like Breastea. With Breastea (do a websearch for it) I went from pumping 1/2 ounce to over 5 ounces. Just make sure that whatever product you use to use it daily.
Can i know where to get teh breastea?? Thansk you