Freezing porridge

mar_mum

Anyone freeze porridge for your babies?

Is there truth in old folks saying that eating frozen porridge will cause wind in the stomach?

jasobias

I have been freezing it for all my 3 kids.They never had any tummy pain .So i think its just an old saying.

apollo

jasobias, hw to freeze porridge and hw to thaw it?? can teach me?? =)

btw, i think it is okay.. i've been giving ds puree, i made them and freeze it. anw u'll be thawing and reheat the food, and not giving them frozen.. =)

jasobias

hey regina,
its the same way as u freeze purees.
But it has to be slightly watery if u can coz when u microwave it afterwards it cld be abit dry at times.If tht happens i just add some hot water..just a tiny tiny amt.But it doesnt happen tht often.
Saves so much time.I cook one big pot take ages...i cant afford to make tht everyday.
So once a week i cook it..freeze it n when wanna eat microwave it.Cool already can eat liao!!

apollo

hey regina,
its the same way as you freeze purees.
But it has to be slightly watery if you can coz when you microwave it afterwards it cld be abit dry at times.If tht happens i just add some hot water..just a tiny tiny amt.But it doesnt happen tht often.
Saves so much time.I cook one big pot take ages...i cant afford to make tht everyday.
So once a week i cook it..freeze it n when wanna eat microwave it.Cool already can eat !!
thks babe!!

but instead of freezing it into those small ice cubes, has to freeze in bigger portion??

jasobias

thks babe!!

but instead of freezing it into those small ice cubes, has to freeze in bigger portion??
ya..freeze in the portion ur son wld eat.So just microwave tht container.U try n see wht kind of container enuf for his porridge one feed.U dont want container too big also..waste space.Me i like the glad ones.Sometimes i use the normal ones when going out.So when baby eat finish..can throw it away liao..no need carry back smelly container..hehhehe

apollo

ya..freeze in the portion your son wld eat.So just microwave tht container.you try n see wht kind of container enuf for his porridge one feed.you dont want container too big also..waste space.Me i like the glad ones.Sometimes i use the normal ones when going out.So when baby eat finish..can throw it away ..no need carry back smelly container..hehhehe
Is GLAD container microwave safe? if not, hw u thaw the porridge?? i'm thinking of freezing porridge a day b4 CNY, so the next day just heat up, pour into thermal jar and go.. haha...

jasobias

ya microwave safe.If u r still worried.Just soak bottom of conatiner in water for few min then the frozen block of porridge will easily slide out fr container.Then u can microwave in a bowl n then put in thermal jar.

apollo

ya microwave safe.If you r still worried.Just soak bottom of conatiner in water for few min then the frozen block of porridge will easily slide out fr container.Then you can microwave in a bowl n then put in thermal jar.
thks babe! :wong19:

woofy55

woah, i didn't know porridge can also freeze.. :) that definately will save a lot of time! what kind of porridge are u all talking abt anyway? Fish/meat porridge? or plain white porridge.

jasobias

woah, i didn't know porridge can also freeze.. :) that definately will save a lot of time! what kind of porridge are you all talking about anyway? Fish/meat porridge? or plain white porridge.
Any kind of porridge can freeze.I make the fish kind,meat n sometimes the plain rice ones.Definately a time saver n since i do not make it tht often i make it a point to make it really well...baby loves it!!

Mummy to Baby V

Erm... Mummies, just my point of view: I prefer to eat fresh food over heated food because they are much more nutritious.

For heated food, I prefer to heat it up using a steamer than the microwave oven.
I'm convinced that the radiation from microwave oven is not good for health in the long-term.

Everyday, I use an electric smart cooker to cook my boy's porridge. in the mornng, put the frozen vegetable stock and rice in, set the time that the porridge needs to be ready, it'd start cooking by itself when it has to, then keep warm until I get to it at lunch. I find this a very convenient way to let my boy eat fresh & nutritious porridge daily.

Every 3 days, I'd prepare a batch of vegetable stock, which makes the porridge super-tasty.

For LNY, instead of porridge, I steamed sweet potato and french beans to put in thermal containers. A simple yet fresh & nutritious meal.

woofy55

Erm... Mummies, just my point of view: I prefer to eat fresh food over heated food because they are much more nutritious.

For heated food, I prefer to heat it up using a steamer than the microwave oven.
I'm convinced that the radiation from microwave oven is not good for health in the long-term.

Everyday, I use an electric smart cooker to cook my boy's porridge. in the mornng, put the frozen vegetable stock and rice in, set the time that the porridge needs to be ready, it'd start cooking by itself when it has to, then keep warm until I get to it at lunch. I find this a very convenient way to let my boy eat fresh & nutritious porridge daily.

Every 3 days, I'd prepare a batch of vegetable stock, which makes the porridge super-tasty.

For LNY, instead of porridge, I steamed sweet potato and french beans to put in thermal containers. A simple yet fresh & nutritious meal.

can share how u make veg stock? wat happen to the veg after tat? feed bb w porridge? thks!

Mummy to Baby V

can share how you make veg stock? what happen to the veg after that? feed baby w porridge? thks!
vege stock example:
- 2 sweetcorns, cut into 3-4 pieces each
- 2 organic carrots (cut into small pieces)
- 2 potatoes (cut into halves or more)
- put in a pot, fill with water to cover the ingredients
- cook to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 45-60min
- leave to cool for 2-3 hours
- pour into 3 freezer-safe containers and put into freezer
- a bit of the carrots and potatoes can be fed to baby, corn is difficult to digest, family can eat the veges

alternatives:
- celery, or
- red dates, or
- gei ji, or
- 1 big onion (Jap onion is very fragrant) (onion vege stock to cook porridge helps get rid of fishy smell if you are feeding baby fish that day)

Whichever ingredient you are planning to use in the stock, clear allergy test with baby beforehand (steam & feed small amt to baby for at least 3 days)

Happy cooking!

Mummy to Baby V

Thanks MieVee. What is the brand of electric smart cooker you using?? :)
We are using Buffalo Smart Cooker, bought at Takashimaya. I like Buffalo as the inner pot is supposed to be very safe, unlike the non-stick type which may leak harmful chemicals into our food after some time.