Effect on breastfeeding - alcohol in confinement food

cocraze

Hi all,
wondering if anyone can share their experience or share what knowledgeable people (LCs/doctors) have advised on the intake of alcohol during breastfeeding. Im following confinement practice of taking food cooked with alcohol (Martell XO/rice wine/DOM) and sometimes the alcohol is just poured into the soup/drunk without being cooked, so the alcohol content isn't really "cooked off".

Qn 1. Does the alcohol affect the amount of milk produced? (I try to drink more fluids whenever I consume some alcohol as I understand it can be dehydrating.)

Qn 2 is on pumping frequency versus quantity.
Im trying to observe the rule-of-thumb not to pump breast milk within 2-3 hours of consumption of food with alcohol, so my pumping timings can sometimes be a bit haywire. I used to get about 80-90ml about 4 times a day last week. Noticed nowadays I get only 60ml when I tried to add another session to make it 5 times a day (I still get 100ml from the first hour-long pumping in the morning after a longer night's rest) Amounts stated all inclusive of manual finger compression of breasts while pumping...
Is it because I'm trying to increase pumping frequency so the supply kinda "evened out"?

I know many mummies/LCs/docs say latching on is the best way to increase supply but I find there are obstacles due to my mealtimes and feeding restrictions (due to alcohol). So I've let my girl be bottle-fed EBM (FM at night cos not enough EBM) by confinement lady most of the time so far. Plus my girl (18 days old today) is impatient and doesn't want to wait (I think my milk flow slow) and doesn't want to suck harder to extract milk from breast. Already on Avent bottle with NB teat, she already sucking and inhaling very quickly, sound as though she's out of breath. Qn 3. Is this normal? I get disconcerted cos I hear all sorts of comments from MIL and CL on this...:shyxxx:

I latch her on average 1-2 times a day (when the "stars are aligned", i.e. timings work out) usually when she's hungry for her std 3-hr feed and she's wailing while waiting for the EBM to be warmed up. On such occasions, she usually takes my nipple and areola into her mouth without fussing (I press to express a few drops of milk first) but Im not sure whether the latch on is correct. I see the Newman website videos that say areola must be taken into mouth, but dunoe correct cos I got small breasts/areola. Some of her sucking are painful, some arent. But I feel as though most of her sucking is on the nipple not areola, not sure cos cannot see.
But usually she will unlatch by herself and my nipple comes out kinda flattened. So I take it she's had some milk. But she fusses when I try to burp her and she absolutely refuses to take the other breast then. She will continue crying until we take the warmed up EBM (containing her full feed) and she guzzles most of that down. Qn 4. Does this mean she's not full even though she unlatched on her own?

Hope Im making some sense in my descriptions :err: and hope someone can shed light on my queries. Thanks!

uddermummy

Hi, a little bit of alcohol is okay, but too much is not. For what is okay, and what is not (more than 1-2 drinks a week), you can refer to the link below.

kellymom.com :: Breastfeeding and Alcohol

I have a feeling that the alcohol used in confinement food would easily surpass the 1-2 drinks a week. It's up to you to decide if you want to do away with the alcohol.

But if you are keeping the alcohol, please seek other feeding alternatives for your baby, cos the excess alcohol can really damage your bb's systems.

Personally, I'm not a big believer of the confinement belief that you need alcohol to get rid of the wind in your stomach. I believe that a good tummy binder, a good masseuse, and a good, well-rounded diet can work wonders that alcohol cannot. I think this alcohol myth originated from China where the weather can be so cold that mothers need alcohol to keep them warm.

If in doubt, please check with a certified lact consultant or a pd.

camom

I didn't take any alcohol during confinement. Just can't stomach the taste. I feel the same as Uddermummy, a balanced diet during confinement is far more impt than the alcohol intake.

During confinement and in fact, out of confinement, my priorities are the same. If baby is hungry, baby gets fed 1st. I got into the habit during confinement, of eating one handed while baby is latched on.

It's definitely easier to drink fr bottle, the milk drips out even without any sucking. In comparison, baby has to work much harder to extract milk from the breasts. Milk flow from breasts is slower unless you get let downs. I dont't know if your baby is really not satisfied after latching on, cos FM feels fuller in the tummy and baby might be subconsciously looking for that filling feeling after you latch on.

Last edited:

uddermummy

and erm, I'm not a big fan of confinement ladies either. Confinement ladies will always make a big issue of how you do not have enough milk, and how your bb seems hungry after taking bm. The thing is, they want to have less work to do because fm digests slower in bbs and makes them feel full for a longer time. They don't have to feed bbs so often when bbs are on fm. Confinement ladies who ask you to switch to fm and make you feel bad for feeding bm are evil! :p

MILs are weird creatures who will insist that their way of doing things and looking after babies are the only correct methods. Back in their days, breastfeeding was almost unheard of cos the fm companies were so successful in making pple believe that BM is inferior to fm.

MILs will very often distrust what you say, because in their opinions, they've eaten more salt than you've eaten rice. Get your hubby to be your bfing spokesperson, and when challenged, always quote the expert. Get a pro-bfing pd who will speak to your mil if necessary.

And er, camom is right. During the first few weeks of bfing, bbs need to be fed frequently cos their stomachs are small, and your body is still trying to decide how much milk it needs for bb.

Bfing is not convenient in the sense that you can't let someone bf your bb for you, but once you get through the initial teething period, bfing is so convenient! Don't need to prepare milk, wash bottles etc, and you have milk on hand whenever bb is hungry!

camom

and erm, I'm not a big fan of confinement ladies either. Confinement ladies will always make a big issue of how you do not have enough milk, and how your baby seems hungry after taking breast milk. The thing is, they want to have less work to do because fm digests slower in bbs and makes them feel full for a longer time. They dont't have to feed bbs so often when bbs are on fm. Confinement ladies who ask you to switch to fm and make you feel bad for feeding breast milk are evil! :p

MILs are weird creatures who will insist that their way of doing things and looking after babies are the only correct methods. Back in their days, breastfeeding was almost unheard of cos the fm companies were so successful in making pple believe that breast milk is inferior to fm.

MILs will very often distrust what you say, because in their opinions, they've eaten more salt than you've eaten rice. Get your hubby to be your bfing spokesperson, and when challenged, always quote the expert. Get a pro-bfing pediatrician who will speak to your mother in law if necessary.

And er, camom is right. During the first few weeks of bfing, bbs need to be fed frequently cos their stomachs are small, and your body is still trying to decide how much milk it needs for baby.

Bfing is not convenient in the sense that you can't let someone bf your baby for you, but once you get through the initial teething period, bfing is so convenient! dont't need to prepare milk, wash bottles etc, and you have milk on hand whenever baby is hungry!
Bingo!!!

The CL I had went on and on abt me needing rest and bf is not the way to go. She even ganged up with my MIL (who is a very nice lady, btw) to dissuade me. I feel in this instance, you need to know what you want and remain firm on your goals. Hubs on my side as well. What I did was to lock the door whenever I bf cos the CL has this disconcerting habit of barging in.

Stan

and erm, I'm not a big fan of confinement ladies either. Confinement ladies will always make a big issue of how you do not have enough milk, and how your baby seems hungry after taking breast milk. The thing is, they want to have less work to do because fm digests slower in bbs and makes them feel full for a longer time. They dont't have to feed bbs so often when bbs are on fm. Confinement ladies who ask you to switch to fm and make you feel bad for feeding breast milk are evil! :p

MILs are weird creatures who will insist that their way of doing things and looking after babies are the only correct methods. Back in their days, breastfeeding was almost unheard of cos the fm companies were so successful in making pple believe that breast milk is inferior to fm.

MILs will very often distrust what you say, because in their opinions, they've eaten more salt than you've eaten rice. Get your hubby to be your bfing spokesperson, and when challenged, always quote the expert. Get a pro-bfing pediatrician who will speak to your mother in law if necessary.

And er, camom is right. During the first few weeks of bfing, bbs need to be fed frequently cos their stomachs are small, and your body is still trying to decide how much milk it needs for baby.

Bfing is not convenient in the sense that you can't let someone bf your baby for you, but once you get through the initial teething period, bfing is so convenient! dont't need to prepare milk, wash bottles etc, and you have milk on hand whenever baby is hungry!
Luckily i have a pro bf CL... When i have engorgement, she helps me to massage the hard parts... During my long sleepless nights when feeding my baby, my CL sat by my side bringing me hot red date tea and cushions! Now i think of it, she really help me through the inital tough part, otherwise i might have given up!
And Yes, my MIL is convinced FM is better... My CL has to quickly close my bedroom door when MIL is around! :001_302:

uddermummy

stan, you are so lucky to have a good CL. Mine kept telling me I didn't have enough milk when I was suffering from engorgement, and she kept asking me to supplement with FM. What was worse, she couldn't wake up in time in the night to take my girl to me when my girl was hungry, and my girl ended up crying non-stop for the next 6 hours. And that woman actually force fed my girl 150ml of ebm when my girl was only 5 days old! Needless to say, my girl cried non-stop again.

You should share the name of your CL with other mummies in this forum if she's really good!

cocraze

Hi, a little bit of alcohol is okay, but too much is not. For what is okay, and what is not (more than 1-2 drinks a week), you can refer to the link below.

kellymom.com :: Breastfeeding and Alcohol

I have a feeling that the alcohol used in confinement food would easily surpass the 1-2 drinks a week. It's up to you to decide if you want to do away with the alcohol.

But if you are keeping the alcohol, please seek other feeding alternatives for your baby, cos the excess alcohol can really damage your baby's systems.

Personally, I'm not a big believer of the confinement belief that you need alcohol to get rid of the wind in your stomach. I believe that a good tummy binder, a good masseuse, and a good, well-rounded diet can work wonders that alcohol cannot. I think this alcohol myth originated from China where the weather can be so cold that mothers need alcohol to keep them warm.

If in doubt, please check with a certified lact consultant or a pediatrician.
I had googled and found the same kellymom website, as well as the LaLecheLeague (LLLI | Home) info, that was what prompted me to post this thread to check around. I have been, during the past 2 weeks been reading through the threads in this forum but I dont't recall many mummies discussing this issue. Wondering whether it was cos they all dont't take alcohol.

I'm aware the amount I'm ingesting currently is WAYYYY beyond the 1-2 drinks. I mean, I think I've been fed half a bottle of XO already in a fortnight! I've generally not made any issue with my food (I think Im quite a rubbish bin when it comes to food, almost anything and everything is ok with me. And I do have quite a soft spot for alcohol myself, pre-pregnancy...) but I got increasingly worried as I read more and thought more about the copious amounts of alcohol, and wondered whether it was getting into the milk supply.

When you say "other alternatives", meaning to feed FM?

My mother in law and CL have not really been clearly pro- or anti-breastfeeding. They generally just keep their thoughts to themselves. Think my mother in law herself did not bf for long, but hear from relatives and friends about benefits of bf-ing. So on that account, they are not giving me any undue pressure towards feeding breast milk or FM. Maybe I'm ultra-touchy (by my own nature/character, or cos of post-natal hormones), I just dont't like being commented upon AT ALL...esp. cos my mother in law tends to talk in a tone of voice that I dont't like. That kind of "I know better than you" tone, which unfortunately, I do that myself. Tsk Tsk..occupational hazards of being ex-educators...

Yupz, I do believe that Bf-ing is best (plus it's free! important cos I've not been working since Jul 09 and dont't intend to work for quite a while now). I'm increasingly convinced of the practical advantages of bf-ing, esp. heart pain when I see wastage of EBM sticking to the walls of the pump parts and when we transfer EBM from bottle to bottle (when measuring out appropriate amounts for feeding, cos my supply swings quite widely from 60-120ml, depending on when I pump).

However, I am not fixated on whether I feed her direct or I pump and bottle-feed her EBM. thankfully, she has no major problems switching between breast and bottle (so far!) though I seldom latch her and had not been advised/guided by any LC during the hospital stay. Thank God she doesn't reject breast like when she was 3 days old and the nurses couldn't help me. Somehow, she managed to 'learn' how to latch on and drink some(not sure how much though). So if in the end, as long as I can maintain my supply with her demand, and find enough time to do the washing/sterilisation, Im happy with EBM...

Increasingly, I'm having this realisation that having the CL here worked against me cos I get a convenient excuse to not be with dear girl during her every waking moment. I have not't even bathed her once yet. And when she gets into those scary wailing moments, I can't appease her, only when the CL carry her, she settle down. I have not woken up at night to feed her even once..really get cold feet on how I am going to cope in future, being alone at home with dear girl and mother in law (who can't help now cos her arm is in a cast)

Sorry, just need to get certain things off my chest, out of my system...

uddermummy

hi cocraze, maybe you'll want to ask your CL to skip the alcohol? I think sometimes you may have to be firm with them cos some may have the ' I eat more salt than you eat rice' attitude. :p

Good that you're so keen to bf exclusively! :)

Maybe you want to talk terms with your CL? Cos I know that some mummies gradually take over from the CL starting from the second week. That way, they won't be caught off-guard when the CL leave after a month. I learnt the ultra-hard way cos I gave my CL the boot after 6 days.

You can ask your CL to teach you the ropes, and thereafter to focus more on cooking for you, doing the household chores, and maybe doing the nightfeeds. Some mummies actually just tell the CL to look after them, while the mummies will look after the bbs. Make use of your CL to do the things that you don't want to do! Hahaha!

If you really need help that mummies here can't provide, do call your pd, or certified lact consultants- Doris Fok is a v good one.

There are also many educators, and ex-educators mummies in this forum. I guess no-one likes being talked down to. :001_302:

Stan

stan, you are so lucky to have a good CL. Mine kept telling me I didn't have enough milk when I was suffering from engorgement, and she kept asking me to supplement with FM. What was worse, she couldn't wake up in time in the night to take my girl to me when my girl was hungry, and my girl ended up crying non-stop for the next 6 hours. And that woman actually force fed my girl 150ml of ebm when my girl was only 5 days old! Needless to say, my girl cried non-stop again.

You should share the name of your CL with other mummies in this forum if she's really good!
Yes, i shared her name in the CL thread.. think she is booked till May since Oct
i know what you mean ... cos i really didnt hv enough milk as i was not latching properly.... My CL taught me how to latch on demand, massage with hot towels... later i realised she followed some of my frens to see Doris Fok so she picked up some tips there.. haha... if only i realised earlier!!!
Goodness 150ml at 5 days!!!! omg, i will be soooo furious.. now my bb almost 4mths also never drink 150ml!!

Stan

hi cocraze mummy, i skip the alcohol too and really did hands on 'training' one week before she leaves... learning how to bathe, the works!!

uddermummy

hi cocraze mummy, i skip the alcohol too and really did hands on 'training' one week before she leaves... learning how to bathe, the works!!
Trust me stan, I was this close to slapping her when I saw her force-feeding my girl! I wish I had someone like your CL! I would probably have had a better experience in the first month!

That stupid woman thinks that breastmilk is too thin to fill up bb's stomachs, so she didn't see anything wrong with force-feeding my girl!