Sleeping position

nightingale

Dear mummies,

Just curious - now that we're starting to sport a larger belly, I find that I'm more comfy sleeping on my side, with a bolster or a support pillow for the legs. I read that it is better to lie on our left side - does anyone know from their gynaes the rationale for this? Or it really doesn't matter whether left or right?

allycat

Sleeping on our left seems to promote better blood flow as our heart is on our left. You can of course sleep which ever side which is more comfortable and any way, you wont realise which side you are sleeping on when you are in deep sleep. :ttongue:

Pinkliciouz

I was asking my Gynae the same thing!

It is better to sleep on our side because as our womb gets bigger, if we sleep, lieing on our back, the womb is heavy and will press against our internal organs, thus some of us may feel breathless (like me) and other discomforts.

I have the habit of lieing on my tummy and my Gynae told me I must never do that cos apparently, will press against our womb also... So must lie on the side, if uncomfortable, lie on the back, but put a pillow against 1 of our buttock so that we are 15degrees tilted.

LoVeS

yes indeed tat slping on the side is better as it will make ur blood circular better n aso it wont crash on ur organs~ :tlaugh:

jas2909

Anyone noe is it ok to "sit sleeping" coz i find it uncomfortable to sleep on both sides.. so I just stack my pillows and lie on it at an angle.. like the position to watch tv.. just that i sit till i fall asleep..

P4nic

my habit is sleeping on my right side n on my tummy.. i try to cut down on my tummy le.. and also tried to sleep more on the left to allow the blood flow but i cannot get used to sleep on the left lo.. coz my hubby will be facing me and i feel that he is taking away all my oxygen!

PTB7476

my habit is sleeping on my right side n on my tummy.. i try to cut down on my tummy .. and also tried to sleep more on the left to allow the blood flow but i cannot get used to sleep on the left .. coz my hubby will be facing me and i feel that he is taking away all my oxygen!
:tlaugh:i am in the same position as you... i used to sleep alot on tummy but even since pregnant i too tried to sleep on the side ...and till now still not used to sleep on the left ...i found myself ended up semi on tummy ( luckily there is a bolster to prevent me from totally laying on my tummy) or on the right side ...

P4nic

:tlaugh:i am in the same position as you... i used to sleep alot on tummy but even since pregnant i too tried to sleep on the side ...and till now still not used to sleep on the left ...i found myself ended up semi on tummy ( luckily there is a bolster to prevent me from totally laying on my tummy) or on the right side ...
ya ya sometimes i oso use a pillow or bolster to save some space for my mini tummy now.. hehe

PTB7476

i think because tummy still not big so we din feel the "obstacle" hence still have the tendency of laying on tummy...guess give it a couple of months later when the " obstacle" become more obvious it wont be comfy to lay on tummy and we will self adjust to sleep on the side :tlaugh:

P4nic

i think because tummy still not big so we did not feel the "obstacle" hence still have the tendency of laying on tummy...guess give it a couple of months later when the " obstacle" become more obvious it wont be comfy to lay on tummy and we will self adjust to sleep on the side :tlaugh:
yup yup! if sleep on tummy will be like humpy dumby.

nightingale

Hehe thanks for sharing all your sleeping experiences! In fact these days I find that it's most comfortable sleeping on our IKEA 2 seater couch in the bedroom haha. I stack 2 hard pillows on one side for propping up my legs, and 2 soft pillows against the other side for my head and shoulders, so that my body is sort of like a "V" shape. Don't know why but this is really comfy for me! :D

Last edited:

PTB7476

Hehe thanks for sharing all your sleeping experiences! In fact these days I find that it's most comfortable sleeping on our IKEA 2 seater couch in the bedroom haha. I stack 2 hard pillows on one side for propping up my legs, and 2 soft pillows against the other side for my head and shoulders, so that my body is sort of like a very shape. dont't know why but this is really comfy for me! :D
the way you sleep seem like you are trying to reduce water retention esp feet area, am i right ?

nightingale

Yes I am - so far so good at 25 weeks, ankles still look quite okay although I suspect there will be some swelling in the 3rd trimester. Anyway I find this more effective than sleeping on our bed with pillows under my legs because by morning the pillows will be on the floor! :p
Also our bed is the harder type which I like very much during pre-pregnancy days but now when preggy I find it too stiff - the couch is softer and springier. :)

LoVeS

Anyone know is it ok to "sit sleeping" coz i find it uncomfortable to sleep on both sides.. so I just stack my pillows and lie on it at an angle.. like the position to watch tv.. just that i sit till i fall asleep..
It ok to sit slping if u r comfortable tat way but most ppl wont bcoz ur neck will be sore by the time u wake up bcoz not much support there mah~:tlaugh:

PTB7476

am i the only one ??

do the BB kick more often when you ladies sleep on your side ?
i notice when i lay on back the little one dun kick much or at all...but then when i lay on my side i can feel more kick...does that mean he is uncomfortable ??

Jovy

I lay most nights on my left hand side. As it is easier for me to get up and access to the toilet. :)

Gem2505

i only sleep facing my right. i cant slp at all when facing left. same as 1 of the previous post, hubby slping on the left, if face left, someone is snatching my oxygen! hahaha! im also trying to prevent hubby from kicking my tummy when he's asleep.. so have to face right. very dangerous to face him during slp. haha! but these few days, i like lying flat facing the ceiling while sleeping. dunno why. but will still face right eventually. =)

i experienced nerve pulling on my left back below shoulder area last night. soooo damnnn pain. sudden pull. den cant slp after that. call hubby wake up n massage for me! hahaha! torture him before my baby grow bigger and torture me. LOL!

P4nic

am i the only one ??

do the baby kick more often when you ladies sleep on your side ?
i notice when i lay on back the little one dont kick much or at all...but then when i lay on my side i can feel more kick...does that mean he is uncomfortable ??
i also have the same feelings too. Lay on the side.. more movement.. lay on the back no feel.

PTB7476

i also have the same feelings too. Lay on the side.. more movement.. lay on the back no feel.
if you read other pple... regardless of how they sleep or sit...the bb kick until like mad... but mine... really kick on adhoc basis :embarrassed: