Pacifier Problem...

angelwendy

Hi all mummy with newborn or baby... just wanna ask.... now my boy started having his pacifier... but after he suck for 2 mins it eep dropping.. then he got angry...& cry but after i put onto his mouth again he is ok ... but it drop again after a few suck.. may i knw is it normal for baby so young to keep dropping their pacifier?? cause i had been busy picking up his pacifier & put back on....or is there any way to prevent it from dropping??

apollo

yes it's v normal. when ds was young, he also lik tt.. den we hav to keep help him find his paci. even at night, his paci drop h will wake up n cry.. cos they haven 'master the skill' of sucking paci well yet.. LOL!

angelwendy

yes it's very normal. when dear son was young, he also lik that.. then we hav to keep help him find his paci. even at night, his paci drop h will wake up n cry.. cos they have not 'master the skill' of sucking paci well yet.. LOL!

Haha agree.. a frenz suggest we buy one size bigger... hmm.. i might try.. at night i dont let him suck to sleep... onli when afternoon after bath... or night before feed...

angelwendy

i read from somewhere... saying that is normal that baby need to suck to feel secure... but dont knw how true it is...

Feliz

edlycia also like that.. till nw her pacifier keeps dropping so i use small bolster to hold on to her pacifier bbut at e same time mus see see cos sometimes e bolster will cover her face when she moves..

sharonyi66

Haha agree.. a frenz suggest we buy one size bigger... hmm.. i might try.. at night i dont let him suck to sleep... onli when afternoon after bath... or night before feed...
dun buy bigger size of paci.. just stick to the size u'r giving now.

Babies will become pro in sucking sooner or later.. by then, you will have to 'pull' out the paci from their mouth..:tlaugh:

Last edited:

Porukadotzu

ya ya always drop, same as my girl did.

when you start to put the paci in bb mouth, hold it for few sec untill bb tongue grip and rythmically sucking then can let go.
coz if never hold and d paci always fell off then your bb will get upset more and more hehe.
i 'm using the avent one... and my sil bought a tomee tippy paci tat have a texture on the edge of the paci so bb tongue can grip it easily.. i haven't use it tho. but it might reduce the paci frm dropping hhehehe.

i think bigger paci will make ur bb even harder to grip it...so it no make sense.

nowadays i'm trying to wean my 4mth girl frm pacifier...hehhe..scare tat untill 1 yr still attached to it.

Ting

Last edited:

Ting

anyway wendy, it is common, cos your baby just started so not "skilled" yet.
after a while baby will get used to it..
haha, u will be amazed tt after a yr, your baby can "talk" with the pacifier in his mouth!

apollo

Mummies, can i ask... Why babies need pacifier? I didnt give my boy pacifier..
a pacifier will let a baby feel secure, lik wat the other mummies said. =)

i think u better stick to the current size, no point getting a bigger one when ur baby's mouth is still small, right? =) even up till 3-4mths, ds will still drop his paci... only until ard 5mth old lik tt then he started to be 'skillful' but he auto wean himself off paci when he was 6mth old..

angelwendy

oh ok... means i gotta standby to put back in his mouth again... hahaha.. sometime is just tiring.. when he is sleeping u cant rest but to standby for him... :err: yup i did hold it for a while till he suck then i let go.. but after a few min it will drop again...:elvis: haha.. hmm... since all of u say ur baby is same... so i think i just gotta bear with it...

Or i can try but the tommi tippy that u intro?? will go look for it....:001_302:

ya ya i also have to keep picking the pacifier up and popping it back to my daughter's mouth.... sometimes a while also cannot ~ BTH.. lol

no choice lorr gotta wait until she master it

anyway i think its important to get those orthodontic ones. .

got some info thought can share share ~ here goes

Orthodontic Pacifier – What is it? How can it allow your child to grow healthier? It can help you save thousands of dollars on dental treatment for your child in the future.

Infants suckle their thumb before birth. They suckle not only for nutrition but also for comfort, especially when they are bored or tired.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry advises the use of pacifiers than thumbs for meeting babies’ suckling need.
Orthodontic pacifiers are specially designed to support the shape of infant’s developing palate and upper jaws. The rounded top and flattened bottom tip of the pacifier simulates the shape of mother’s nipple when inside babies’ mouth during suckling. It encourages babies to develop natural suckling action favorable for proper jaw development.
Scientific studies have shown that babies who use orthodontic pacifiers have lower percentage of developing an open bite or an overbite than babies using conventional pacifiers. The use of pacifier also reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

shiyi

got bb a tippie tommie 'bee' pattern pacifier. its handle is luminous thus can glow in the dark,.

but sad thing is she dun like to eat pacifier.. must force it by pushing her mouth to my chest den she will learn to suck the pacifier..if dun give her eat she will keep looking for milk

apollo

ya ya i also have to keep picking the pacifier up and popping it back to my daughter's mouth.... sometimes a while also cannot ~ BTH.. lol

no choice lorr gotta wait until she master it

anyway i think its important to get those orthodontic ones. .

got some info thought can share share ~ here goes

Orthodontic Pacifier – What is it? How can it allow your child to grow healthier? It can help you save thousands of dollars on dental treatment for your child in the future.

Infants suckle their thumb before birth. They suckle not only for nutrition but also for comfort, especially when they are bored or tired.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry advises the use of pacifiers than thumbs for meeting babies’ suckling need.
Orthodontic pacifiers are specially designed to support the shape of infant’s developing palate and upper jaws. The rounded top and flattened bottom tip of the pacifier simulates the shape of mother’s nipple when inside babies’ mouth during suckling. It encourages babies to develop natural suckling action favorable for proper jaw development.
Scientific studies have shown that babies who use orthodontic pacifiers have lower percentage of developing an open bite or an overbite than babies using conventional pacifiers. The use of pacifier also reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
i dun really get what it means when it stated, 'healthier'?? means good for the teeth growing??

how??!! ds keep reject pacifier lehhh!! i give him he spit out.. how??? LOL:tlaugh:

i dont really get what it means when it stated, 'healthier'?? means good for the teeth growing??

how??!! dear son keep reject pacifier lehhh!! i give him he spit out.. how??? LOL:tlaugh:
yup yup u guessed it! develop healthier teeth!

on what circumstances do u give him the pacifier??

for me, i give it to my daughter when she gets upset (what reason i dont know! bored maybe! lol) or when the colic gets her. sigh.... so chances are she'll be pacified and just try to suckle suckle suckle...fall off...suckle suckle suckle... fall fall fall... #faintzzzzzzzzz

anyway maybe your son spit out because he dont need it at the moment?? lol! :001_302:

Mummy to Baby V

When I'm around, and my boy needs comfort, he can have me.
When his Daddy is around, he'd offer pacifier. This was only during 3-4 months old, when he gets fussy during sleep-time. Once he's asleep, I'd remove the pacifier. Else can't rest and got to find and pop it into his mouth through the night.

I'd rather nurse him to sleep as i can sleep at the same time.

If he needed to nap in the car, I'd also offer the pacifier, since can't nurse him.

We also keep the pacifier away during awake and play time as it would hinder his speech development.

Anyway, he refused to suck the pacifier after a short while.

AVENT has a version of glow-in-the-dark pacifiers, only in larger size though.

apollo

yup yup you guessed it! develop healthier teeth!

on what circumstances do you give him the pacifier??

for me, i give it to my daughter when she gets upset (what reason i dont know! bored maybe! lol) or when the colic gets her. sigh.... so chances are she'll be pacified and just try to suckle suckle suckle...fall off...suckle suckle suckle... fall fall fall... #faintzzzzzzzzz

anyway maybe your son spit out because he dont need it at the moment?? lol! :001_302:
i gif when he wanna slp.. other than tt, he dun wan paci.. but tt was last time, now he dont want at all eversince he started to slp on tummy.. just now let him try, he didnt suck but had a great time chewing it -.-"""

i give when he wanna sleep.. other than that, he dont want paci.. but that was last time, now he dont want at all eversince he started to sleep on tummy.. just now let him try, he didnt suck but had a great time chewing it -.-"""

hahahah so cute.. i guess as long as he finds use in the pacifier can liiao. wahahha

woofy55

edlycia also like that.. till now her pacifier keeps dropping so i use small bolster to hold on to her pacifier bbut at e same time mus see see cos sometimes e bolster will cover her face when she moves..

i also use his beanie bolster to hold his pacifier.. hehe... cos when louis hug for security, the beanie can support the pacifier.. or sometimes, if the pacifier didn't drop too far, can actually go back into his mouth when he hug it tight. hehe... i only and will only offer his pacifier during bedtimes..

apollo.. so good. yr boy auto wean off pacifier!

wendy.. louis' pacifier also kept dropping!!! during 1st month when he cry and cry.. PIL kept nagging me to give pacifier but he kept dropping and dun really know how to suck. I was happy then, cos i told them he don't like pacifier. zzz... until one day when he was about 2mths+ when i tried to nurse him lying down... i realised he slept while 2 hands hug my breast and breast stil in the mouth.. so i tried giving him the beanie bolster and pacifier.. and that time he continue to sleeeeeeeep... and the rest is history... ehhehehehe...