Do u wake ur baby for milk ??

ling.er

Hi all mummy, i have juz give birth by C-sec . My Newborn was 1 wk old.. I have some question need ask pls advice mi Thk ^^

. Do u all wake ur baby for milk ? Or juz wait they cry / wake then feed them ? My mum & MIL inform mi nt to wake them to feed , let it wake he own..

. Hw long do ur all feed the baby ? Or hw long they will get hungry ? Mine is every nigh 2-3 hr = =" even i feed him with B.M + F.M cos some time he dun wan latch on ..

:wong19:Advice thk to all mummy repl .. ^^

diymummy

Yes I wake my baby up for feeds because
1) My baby was badly jaundiced and needed to have enough fluids. Because he was badly jaundiced, he was exceptionally sleepy and cannot be trusted to wake on his own
2) I was planning to put my baby on routine. It was a give and take. He tried to adapt to me and I tried to adapt to him.

Feeding between 2-3 hrs is perfectly normal. If your baby is already doing that, you're pretty much on track. Expect the pattern to continue around the 1st 2 mths.

jojoki

I fed on demand all the way. When she turned one, a routine naturally fell in place. But when she was a newborn I never woke her for milk, she will wake on her own.. almost every 1.5 hour.

If u bf, she will feed more frequent as bm is easily digested.

apollo

when ds was so young, i dun hav to wake him up for him, he was an alarm clock, time's up he will auto cry for milk.

many ppl also told me if during midnight bb no cry and slp well den dun hav to wake them up for milk. in fact some babies (very very lil though) dun wake up for night feeds at all. my hubby's aunt told us her girl who is 3 yrs older than ds, did not wake up for night feeds at all! from the very 1st day she discharged from hospital. =

PinkDiamonds

For me I take a little of both approach.

At night I feed on demand, and baby would feed every 3-4 hours. In the daytime I will stick to a routine of every 2.5-3 hours. But I only started this routine after baby was about 3-4 weeks old cause at that time I didn't know the importance of routine. :)

ling.er

Yes I wake my baby up for feeds because
1) My baby was badly jaundiced and needed to have enough fluids. Because he was badly jaundiced, he was exceptionally sleepy and cannot be trusted to wake on his own
2) I was planning to put my baby on routine. It was a give and take. He tried to adapt to me and I tried to adapt to him.

Feeding between 2-3 hours is perfectly normal. If your baby is already doing that, you're pretty much on track. Expect the pattern to continue around the 1st 2 mths.

My baby also have ligh jaundice .. Doc told her to sun-bath him 30min ... If my baby auto wake up 2-3 hr for milk so i do nt have to wake him up lei.. :shyxxx:

ling.er

Another question ..

Do baby pass motion after their feeds ?? My newborn 12 hr no pass motion = =" is this normal ??? I been half B.F & half F.M .. Pls help

jojoki

Another question ..

Do baby pass motion after their feeds ?? My newborn 12 hr no pass motion = =" is this normal ??? I been half B.F & half F.M .. Pls help
yes normal. more than 5 days thn call pd ask whether need to bring in. its very normal

cmeilim

Another question ..

i know that if a baby is fully breastfed, then should have 5-6 watery poos per day. my boy had that when he was a newborn. not sure for supplemented babies though. breastmilk contains more than 80% water and is more easily digested than FM, so it's very common for newborns to pass out poo quickly. that's why breastmilk is also better than FM, cos no worry of constipation in newborns.

diymummy

My baby also have ligh jaundice .. Doc told her to sun-bath him 30min ... If my baby auto wake up 2-3 hr for milk so i do not have to wake him up lei.. :shyxxx:
If your baby auto wakes up 2-3 hrs for milk it is fine. No need to wake him up. But if he sleeps more than 3 hrs, it is better to wake him up so that he is properly hydrated.

Another question ..

My friend, who's baby was FULLY breastfed, only poos every 7 days. As long as your baby is not in pain, not bloated and is still feeding and sleeping fine, it should be a problem.

cmeilim

My friend, who's baby was FULLY breastfed, only poos every 7 days. As long as your baby is not in pain, not bloated and is still feeding and sleeping fine, it should be a problem.

but ling.er's baby is only a newborn of a week or so. is your friend's baby so young too?

i know there was probably just a handful of times when my boy went on 3-5 days without poo. but this was when he was already 3 or 4 months old. i checked with my LC and she told me to eat more veg. sure enough, i loaded on veg for lunch and dinner and that very nite, the poo came. since then, whenever my boy doesn't poo for 3 days, i will eat more veg and it has worked every time!

i prefer not to let my baby go without poo for so many days to avoid constipation which would be very painful....

diymummy

but ling.er's baby is only a newborn of a week or so. is your friend's baby so young too?

i know there was probably just a handful of times when my boy went on 3-5 days without poo. but this was when he was already 3 or 4 months old. i checked with my LC and she told me to eat more veg. sure enough, i loaded on veg for lunch and dinner and that very nite, the poo came. since then, whenever my boy doesn't poo for 3 days, i will eat more veg and it has worked every time!

i prefer not to let my baby go without poo for so many days to avoid constipation which would be very painful....
Yes my friend's baby was an NB. Poo-ing 7 day cycle.

diymummy

Ling.er, for a peace of mind, you might just wanna visit a doc or LC. If poo-ing that infrequently is your baby's way, then there's little anyone can do.

If your baby really is constipating, he would be very bloated and his tummy would be hard. He would also keep crying because being constipated is painful for babies.

ling.er

OMG 7 day no poi is really power.. Mine alrd 1 days.. His dad & mi was so worry.. My mum also say normal.. - -" But my baby tummy abit boated then aso keep making noise. @ 1st we though tat he is hungry.. Try feed & also change diaper.. He sitll makin those noise ( liek stomach pain liek tat.. Pushing Sound.. ) Can see he face turn red lo..
I see laio so heart pain T.T :wong19:

apollo

OMG 7 day no poi is really power.. Mine alrd 1 days.. His dad & mi was so worry.. My mum also say normal.. - -" But my baby tummy abit boated then aso keep making noise. @ 1st we though that he is hungry.. Try feed & also change diaper.. He sitll makin those noise ( liek stomach pain liek that.. Pushing Sound.. ) Can see he face turn red ..
I see laio so heart pain T.T :wong19:
1 day no poo? actu i suggest u to wait a few more days. if ur bb tummy is bloated, try to apply ome ru yi oil, use ur hand to gently massage his tummy in circular motions. it helps for ds when he was having constipation. cos ur bb is only 1 week old, i doubt he can take any medication yet =)

ling.er

1 day no poo? actually i suggest you to wait a few more days. if your baby tummy is bloated, try to apply ome ru yi oil, use your hand to gently massage his tummy in circular motions. it helps for dear son when he was having constipation. cos your baby is only 1 week old, i doubt he can take any medication yet =)

I always apply Ru yi yu for him .. Back & front lo.. Hospital late evening did give mi a call ask hw was everything.. I also did tell him my newborn problem. The nurse inform mi tat monitor it then if till tomo stil no poi then go see doc.. Doc mostly will insert sonething in butt .. Mayb i monitor till tue then see hw.. As u say 1 wk so i worry lo.. :wong19::wong19: T.T

apollo

I always apply Ru yi yu for him .. Back & front .. Hospital late evening did give mi a call ask hw was everything.. I also did tell him my newborn problem. The nurse inform mi that monitor it then if till tomo stil no poi then go see doc.. Doc mostly will insert sonething in butt .. Mayb i monitor till tue then see hw.. As you say 1 wk so i worry .. :wong19::wong19: T.T
yup if still no improvement den better bring him bk to see his pd. but at the meantime, try to massage his lil tummy often. cos i still feel tt can dun use medication at such young age will be better =)