Caught! Friend unfaithful to his wife: What should I do?

Starsapphire

Hi all,

I have recently gone for an overseas conference and met one of my friends there. Let’s call him Mr Y. We haven’t met for quite some time. I know that he is married to a lady about 10-12 years his junior. I got to know his wife (Mrs Y) recently during a meet up with our other friends. He is currently in his mid 40s and is very well to do because of his profession and living comfortably (3-storey private house, BMW, etc.). During the conference, I couldn’t help noticing that he kept gravitating towards a particular local lady at the conference. Let’s call her Ms N. She was young and attractive, I must say. She could be a few years younger than his wife. She was also mingling around freely with the local men in the conference. Mr Y took many photos with her with both of them posing as if they were close friends. I’ve also seen Mr Y‘s hands around her back, waist, arm and neck at times. During one of the dinners at the hotel’s resort, I saw them chit chatting happily at a corner and then they went away together from the crowd. Being a bit curious, I followed them from a far distance. Both of them went to a dark, secluded area in the resort near the beach. They sat down by a deck chair behind some trees and giggled away. I moved up closer from behind but I dare not really look any closer. At one instant, I was shocked to hear her moaning (quite loudly) when they stopped talking. I couldn’t really hear the conversation clearly but it was clear as to what was happening. Don’t need a genius to figure this out! I was very shocked. I thought Mr Y was of a reputable character given his credentials and profession. Feeling disgusted, I walked back to the dinner crowd. But that was not it! Next morning, I woke up early for my usual morning jog. When I opened my hotel room door, I saw Ms N coming out from Mr Y’s room! She was still wearing the dinner tank tube blouse and skirt she was wearing last night and she just walked quickly back into her room and pretended she didn’t see me. I was speechless. The conference attendees were also given time off to go for a snorkeling trip and a yacht ride to a nearby island. Mr Y and Ms N were not together all the time but some of the time especially when they got into the sea together for snorkeling. They were again posing happily together on the deck and in the water as if they were a couple. She was wearing a bikini this time and many people this time already started their gossip that she is “salivating” over Mr Y and he is happily drinking her “saliva.” Mr and Mrs Y have a 1-yr old baby now and this incident happened about 2-3 months before Mrs Y got pregnant. But I know Mr Y has long been known to be a woman-pleaser/charmer and is popular among ladies. He goes for overseas conferences several times a year. I am sure this was not the 1st or the last time he has been fooling around.

My questions are:

· I feel really disgusted. I’m in a dilemma now. I know Mrs Y and now whenever I see her, I feel that I have betrayed her for not telling her about her husband. Should I tell Mrs Y? I really cannot take this burden anymore because whenever I see Mr Y, I feel really annoyed. When I see Mrs Y I feel so guilty! I hate adulterous people! They ruin family and the lives of their loved ones!

· What would you do? I have some of the photos from the conference which showed Mr Y and Ms N together and I know I am not alone in witnessing their act. I am not sure these photos will convince Mrs Y about her husband’s fling or it may backfire against me. To some, the photos may be “mild” but to me and the rest who have seen their “real act” and those who are a little more conservative, this will be unacceptable.

· How would you feel if your own husband treats another woman like that? If this happens to you, would you want your friend to tell you? Or is ignorance bliss?

Last edited:
Well, for me I will definitely not going to tolerate adultery. If this happens to me, I would very much want my friend to tell me and show me the photos. I will also try to dig out more info myself or to engage a PI. It is better be safe than sorry as I hate liars! I will be grateful for my friend for doing me this favour!

xiaodaisy

it depends i guess

if ur close with Mrs Y , yes do tell her cos her hubby is such a jerk =x

if not , maybe u can try hinting to her? in case backfire and she tot u wanna break them up or jealous of them ..

july-winter

no matter how close or not you r to Mrs Y, you ought to let her know plus photos will be considered as added advantage to prove to her, in due time mrs Y probably be grateful to you.

I have some friends who told on my husband's affair with one friend to me and of cos all hell broke loose 4 months ago and i had been hammering my husband daily for his affair with one friend of mine. Still he chose not to leave me n our son despites his affair exposed. And yes i am very grateful to my friends who helped expose the affair to me n being there for me thru this betrayal n difficult times.

Right now i can see that my hubby is trying to improve himself first but have not yet ask for forgivenesss from me. He asked for time extension to april so taht he trys to change for the better. On my side, i have not decided whether to file for divorce as he expressed his wish he do not want to lose us.

this is no easy for me but i feel sorry for myself cos i chose to stay by this good for nothing husband of mine for too long and now the chance came n i am weighing of all pros and cons before i take the plunge to the divorcee path.

probably you might not understand how i feel but as if i m Mrs Y, i probably feel very grateful to you for telling me of the husband affair and if have photos that can prove, it will be helpful in some way.

Starsapphire

Dear July-winter,

Thank you very much for your sincere sharing. You are indeed going thru very trying moments. I hav friends and family mambers who are also in similar situations and it is very heart breaking. Please stay strong. And yes, you are absolutely right in weighing the pros and cons carefully before taking any further action. I hope you have sought legal advice and support/opinions from family and friends who can give you advice on this issue as they may know you and your hubby better.

I sometimes don't know if I should just confront that Mr Y instead of telling his wife directly so as to spare her of the heartache. Hopefully he repents but I cannot guarantee this. This will of course sever my friendship with him. Sigh...

no matter how close or not you r to Mrs Y, you ought to let her know plus photos will be considered as added advantage to prove to her, in due time mrs Y probably be grateful to you.

I have some friends who told on my husband's affair with one friend to me and of cos all hell broke loose 4 months ago and i had been hammering my husband daily for his affair with one friend of mine. Still he chose not to leave me n our son despites his affair exposed. And yes i am very grateful to my friends who helped expose the affair to me n being there for me thru this betrayal n difficult times.

Right now i can see that my hubby is trying to improve himself first but have not yet ask for forgivenesss from me. He asked for time extension to april so taht he trys to change for the better. On my side, i have not decided whether to file for divorce as he expressed his wish he do not want to lose us.

this is no easy for me but i feel sorry for myself cos i chose to stay by this good for nothing husband of mine for too long and now the chance came n i am weighing of all pros and cons before i take the plunge to the divorcee path.

probably you might not understand how i feel but as if i m Mrs Y, i probably feel very grateful to you for telling me of the husband affair and if have photos that can prove, it will be helpful in some way.

Starsapphire

Thank you all for replies.

Just to answer some questions:
1) No, I am not close to Mrs Y. We have had dinners together but just very casual meetings and talked on superficial things.

2) I am much more senior than them. Happily married with grown up kids. So I have no reason to let them think that I have any hidden agenda.

The photos that I have are quite mild and I am not sure it is convincing enough... that's what I am afraid of and of course I cannot prove those "acts" that I saw...

Gem2505

hmm.. i think it really depends on the relationship between u and MRs Y, which is in this case, not v close as u mentioned. quite difficult to break such news out to a "not v close" fren. and the chances of her believing u is... Low?
some woman are very obsessed with their husband and totally believes whatever their hubby says...
it will make the whole situation worst if she confront her husband then drag u in, then the story nv ends if the husband deny, blar blar blar.. n there goes, the friendship. or worst, she will go spead around to people say u tell-tales etc...

sometimes, Hao xin mei hao bao ( you treat people good but they dont appreciate ). I think just act blur at the moment, till u think there's really a need to do so.

Ekari

Warn your friend to stop and keep it a secret from his wife first. If he doesn't ... then it depends you prefer to be a good ethical guy with principle or be a friend who wont sell out your friend but able to stand by and see a woman being cheated :)

lyra

Haiz my whole family saw my uncle (dad's brother) hug a lady friend but my parents forbid me to tell his wife. But as their kids grow older, he became better, so... I'm glad I didn't tell at that time.

posh

hmm.. i think it really depends on the relationship between u and MRs Y, which is in this case, not v close as u mentioned. quite difficult to break such news out to a "not v close" fren. and the chances of her believing u is... Low?
some woman are very obsessed with their husband and totally believes whatever their hubby says...
it will make the whole situation worst if she confront her husband then drag u in, then the story nv ends if the husband deny, blar blar blar.. n there goes, the friendship. or worst, she will go spead around to people say u tell-tales etc...

sometimes, Hao xin mei hao bao ( you treat people good but they dont appreciate ). I think just act blur at the moment, till u think there's really a need to do so.
Ya, agreed. Will she believe you (not so close) rather than her own hubby? This incident only let you see the true self of your friend which I dont think you can do much.

mic2

Ya, agreed. Will she believe you (not so close) rather than her own hubby? This incident only let you see the true self of your friend which I dont think you can do much.
actually u don't have to identity yourself, just give a call to her and tell her what u know. whether she wan to believe or not, it's up to her and u have done your part.

posh

actually u don't have to identity yourself, just give a call to her and tell her what u know. whether she wan to believe or not, it's up to her and u have done your part.
Ermm, thats sounds reasonable now.

Starsapphire

Hi, hi,

I'm afraid his wife will be able to recognise my voice on the phone. We have met and talked before face to face so she would know my voice...
I can also recognise friends' voices quite easily once I hear their "hello" even without their caller ID...

Last edited:

Starsapphire

Warn your friend to stop and keep it a secret from his wife first. If he doesn't ... then it depends you prefer to be a good ethical guy with principle or be a friend who wont sell out your friend but able to stand by and see a woman being cheated :)

Hi, hi, Ekari,
Thanks for your words of wisdom...

Wht you have shared has come across my mind and is very much my dilemma: being ethincal, morally upright vs. "betraying" a friend vs. "betraying a friend's wife." But the biggest betrayer is Mr Y. In front of his friends and colleagues he acts like a caring, loving husband and father. Keeps showing us his baby's photos, etc.... seems very artificial to me now that I see his true ugly colours...

But I did ask myself wht if I'm Mrs Y? Would I want to know? The answer is yes.

Dilys

Hi all,

I have recently gone for an overseas conference and met one of my friends there. Let’s call him Mr Y. We haven’t met for quite some time. I know that he is married to a lady about 10-12 years his junior. I got to know his wife (Mrs Y) recently during a meet up with our other friends. He is currently in his mid 40s and is very well to do because of his profession and living comfortably (3-storey private house, BMW, etc.). During the conference, I couldn’t help noticing that he kept gravitating towards a particular local lady at the conference. Let’s call her Ms N. She was young and attractive, I must say. She could be a few years younger than his wife. She was also mingling around freely with the local men in the conference. Mr Y took many photos with her with both of them posing as if they were close friends. I’ve also seen Mr Y‘s hands around her back, waist, arm and neck at times. During one of the dinners at the hotel’s resort, I saw them chit chatting happily at a corner and then they went away together from the crowd. Being a bit curious, I followed them from a far distance. Both of them went to a dark, secluded area in the resort near the beach. They sat down by a deck chair behind some trees and giggled away. I moved up closer from behind but I dare not really look any closer. At one instant, I was shocked to hear her moaning (quite loudly) when they stopped talking. I couldn’t really hear the conversation clearly but it was clear as to what was happening. Don’t need a genius to figure this out! I was very shocked. I thought Mr Y was of a reputable character given his credentials and profession. Feeling disgusted, I walked back to the dinner crowd. But that was not it! Next morning, I woke up early for my usual morning jog. When I opened my hotel room door, I saw Ms N coming out from Mr Y’s room! She was still wearing the dinner tank tube blouse and skirt she was wearing last night and she just walked quickly back into her room and pretended she didn’t see me. I was speechless. The conference attendees were also given time off to go for a snorkeling trip and a yacht ride to a nearby island. Mr Y and Ms N were not together all the time but some of the time especially when they got into the sea together for snorkeling. They were again posing happily together on the deck and in the water as if they were a couple. She was wearing a bikini this time and many people this time already started their gossip that she is “salivating” over Mr Y and he is happily drinking her “saliva.” Mr and Mrs Y have a 1-yr old baby now and this incident happened about 2-3 months before Mrs Y got pregnant. But I know Mr Y has long been known to be a woman-pleaser/charmer and is popular among ladies. He goes for overseas conferences several times a year. I am sure this was not the 1st or the last time he has been fooling around.

My questions are:

· I feel really disgusted. I’m in a dilemma now. I know Mrs Y and now whenever I see her, I feel that I have betrayed her for not telling her about her husband. Should I tell Mrs Y? I really cannot take this burden anymore because whenever I see Mr Y, I feel really annoyed. When I see Mrs Y I feel so guilty! I hate adulterous people! They ruin family and the lives of their loved ones!

· What would you do? I have some of the photos from the conference which showed Mr Y and Ms N together and I know I am not alone in witnessing their act. I am not sure these photos will convince Mrs Y about her husband’s fling or it may backfire against me. To some, the photos may be “mild” but to me and the rest who have seen their “real act” and those who are a little more conservative, this will be unacceptable.

· How would you feel if your own husband treats another woman like that? If this happens to you, would you want your friend to tell you? Or is ignorance bliss?
Hi

I think you shouldn't tell Mrs Y as you are not very close to her ! In case of backfired !
She might already know of Mr Y"s habits! Maybe they both agree have a agreement between their marriage that "eat outside but don't bring back any leftover"! I have known of alot couples will like that !

Sad to say ... This kind of issue is not uncommon at all .. It's very common for the upper class status like Mr Y. It's always happening !

ChrissieC

If it's me as the wife, I'd want to know.

If it's my friend doing wrong, I'll tell him off so bad he'll regret it for the rest of his life.

If it's my staff, I'll confront and make him stop.

If its my boss, I'll warn, he doesn't stop, someone will whistle blow.

I had seen similar cases. But those are my hubby's friends. They have 'gfs' outside despite having wife at home with kids. Sometimes, they may even bring these sluts out. I felt disgusted and totally look down both both the man and the sluts. And whenever i see their wife, i'll feel so sad for them. So i did ask my hubby before, like y his frens are lidat and won't they be afraid that the wife will find out? He said that some of their wives already know, but just chose not to know and continue living the normal way.

So, it all depends on the couple la. Maybe for all you know, his wife knew it all along. And since you aren't close to the wife, maybe its not so nice to just tell her lidat, unless of coz say both of you often tok on the phone, go out together ,then its a diff story le...

Starsapphire

It's really easier said than done, ... but I like your frankness...

If it's me as the wife, I'd want to know.

If it's my friend doing wrong, I'll tell him off so bad he'll regret it for the rest of his life.

If it's my staff, I'll confront and make him stop.

If its my boss, I'll warn, he doesn't stop, someone will whistle blow.