Research invitation - mainstream secondary pupils with dyslexia and parents

uclioe2017

Dear Parents,

Invitation to participate in a cross-cultural study (London and Singapore) on the perceptions and experiences of mainstream secondary dyslexic pupils and their parents

I am a doctoral student on the Doctorate in Educational Psychology course at the University College London, Institute of Education (UCL IOE).

For my thesis, I will be conducting a cross-cultural study in London and Singapore exploring the perceptions and experiences of mainstream secondary pupils with dyslexia, their parents and educational professionals. This study has been approved by the UCL IOE ethics board.

This study has three main objectives:
1. Gain insight into the perceptions and experiences of mainstream secondary pupils with dyslexia, their parents and educational professionals who support them.

2. Develop an understanding of how dyslexia is identified, assessed and supported across cultural/ geographical settings (In a London borough and Singapore).

3. Learn best practices, understand challenges and suggest possible solutions to better support mainstream secondary pupils with dyslexia.

I would like to warmly invite your child and yourself to participate in this study as this is an excellent opportunity for your child to contribute to the research base on dyslexia and for parents to share their views on supporting their child with dyslexia.

Each child/ parent will be invited for a 30-minutes individual interview to be conducted at a date/ place of your convenience (Apr to Sep 2017). The interview will be recorded (audio only) to allow me to be able to transcribe the interview into written text for data analysis.

All children/ parent names will be anonymised.

Upon completion of the study, parents will receive:
· Executive summary of research report
· 1-hour parent/ child consultation arranged at your convenience to discuss the research findings and consider how your child can be better supported in his/ her learning and emotional well-being (optional).

Please feel free to email me at chengde.zheng.15@ucl.ac.uk or SMS/ Whatsapp 98920407 to find out more or to participate in this study.

I hope you will find participating in this research a valuable experience and I look forward to hear from you soon.

Yours Faithfully,
Derek Zheng

Last edited: