19th month and the tantrums at home! Help needed urgently!!!

Hello to all the mummy,
I am having a very hard time coping with a 19month old boy and his tantrums... I dint know boys could be so difficult to handle. For the past one month he is not well. Either he will have fver, or cough or running nose. It has beed so long tht he has not recovered yet. He wakes up at 8-9am and takes a afternoon nap and wakes up before 5pm. From that time onwards i try my best to keep him awake till 11 so tht he willbe tired enough to go to bed and sleep throughout the night soundly. Unfortunately i am not so lucky. So even i am tried, he would wake up atnight and cry non stop. I still cnt figure out why. Than after hours of consoling him, hubby goes to bed. The wholeday he gets3-4 times solid meal. He is not drinking milk for almost one month. I dnt know why. So sometimes i give him using the syring about 5 oz. And there is no way tht i can skip the nap time as he is overweight and he feels heavy after the lunch so we cnt skip it.
Throughout this situation i just get feed up. I cant take it anymore. I feel tired and my bkdy aches alot. And when he starts crying i get complains from neighbours which is really embarrassing... And its very hard to find out what he wants when he cries... I just wnt to die ASAP...
Please give me advices and also share your story...

PinkDiamonds

From your description, when you said he gets 3-4 times solid meals, what does he eat? I am thinking he is probably too full from the solids that he does not want the milk. Or he simply has no more interest in milk. You can supplement the nutrients of milk through other dairy products like cheese, yogurt, fresh milk. If you really want him to take milk you can reduce the amount of food he eats, since you say he is overweight.

Is he not sleeping well & crying at night because he is not feeling well? My girl will also cry for my attention if she is not not feeling well because obviously, she can't sleep well with a cough, or blocked nose.

Does he cry non-stop at bedtime or he falls asleep, then wakes up crying non-stop? If he cries at bedtime he may be too tired already. If he wakes up in the middle of the night crying it may be due to night terrors, which is quite normal.

What does nap time have to do with whether your boy is overweight or not? Naptime helps them to rest & recover some energy for the later part of the day. As for the sleep part, according to Baby Center toddlers at this age need about 11-12 hours of sleep at night & take 1.5-3 hour nap in the afternoon. Is your boy getting enough sleep? Cause if he sleeps at 11pm and wakes up at 8pm I doubt so.

You are definitely not alone on this. Don't think about dying just because your boy is tough to handle. Every mummy has her own challenges & if all of us here want to die because our babies are difficult to handle, then there'll be a lot of orphans around. Stay strong for your baby boy.

Good luck!

ping26

My girl is almost 22 mth old. She usu wakes up ard 7.30-8.30am and goes to bed btw 9.30 - 10.30 pm. She takes 1-2 quick naps. Total 1-2 hrs.

She caught the flu bug recently. She couldn't sleep well and woke up crying due to the blocked nose. If there's mucus or phlegm, we'll use a saline nose drop to loosen the mucus/phlegm and suck out it with a nasal aspirator. Ours look a bit like this Safety 1st Clear Tip Nasal Aspirator - Review - Suck it up! There are many brands at Kiddy Palace.

If you hear coughs or noisy breathing, there's a high chance that the mucus is flowing down the throat instead of nose. It is difficult for toddlers to sleep when the mucus pools around the throat. They wake up crying. We also prop her on a pillow and give medication before sleep.

Maybe bring your child to doctor again if u r not sure.

Naptime - she doesn't like to sleep. Sometimes, she'll sleep only 30-40 min during the day. Then she'll KO by 9pm. kee... She sleeps very well although she is still waking up for night feeds. To make her sleep, we always switch off the room lights. You can answer in monosyllables or sing lullabies. After a while, she'll doze off cos she can't see anything :) She doesn't usually cry so it's quite easy for us. We don't usually go into battle mode. We just keep trying using some tried-and-tested methods/routines every 15-30 min.

If your baby is a good sleeper before this bout of sickness, you can try to reduce napping hours so that he goes to bed earlier. Don't think he'll wake up in the middle of the night. As toddlers grow up, naps will get less frequent or shorter.

However, he won't be able to sleep thro if he is still nursing the flu though. I think this is just a passing phase. Hang in there :)

Last edited:

huiyin87

hi, my baby is 20mth boy too..
very naughty and bad temper that i almost lost control of myself sometimes..

did anyone in ur family fall sick and ur boy caught the germs from him?
or maybe ur boy immune system is weaker?
i give my boy vitamins to boost his immune system and i feel it works.. maybe you would like to try out too?

my boy wakes up 11am, nap time ard 2-4, then sleep at 12am..
i was having difficulty making him slp at night, but recently i solved this issue le..
he still wakes up for milk once in the night..
but will fall asleep again after milk and diaper change..

what solid is he taking?
my boy cant chew very well yet now lol..
he takes milk whenever we run out of solid for him..
try to coax him to drink milk by distracting him?
i did it with my boy and he is fine with milk now..

what is his weight and height now?
maybe he have heavy bones?
does he look really chubby?

its very hard to describe everything here, but if you want, you can pm me!
dun be disheartened, i was once like you, fretting over everything at this age..
theres always a way out for everything, ur boy will be better as he grows older..
cheer up k!

hi, my baby is 20mth boy too..
very naughty and bad temper that i almost lost control of myself sometimes..

did anyone in ur family fall sick and ur boy caught the germs from him?
or maybe ur boy immune system is weaker?
i give my boy vitamins to boost his immune system and i feel it works.. maybe you would like to try out too?

my boy wakes up 11am, nap time ard 2-4, then sleep at 12am..
i was having difficulty making him slp at night, but recently i solved this issue le..
he still wakes up for milk once in the night..
but will fall asleep again after milk and diaper change..

what solid is he taking?
my boy cant chew very well yet now lol..
he takes milk whenever we run out of solid for him..
try to coax him to drink milk by distracting him?
i did it with my boy and he is fine with milk now..

what is his weight and height now?
maybe he have heavy bones?
does he look really chubby?

its very hard to describe everything here, but if you want, you can pm me!
dun be disheartened, i was once like you, fretting over everything at this age..
theres always a way out for everything, ur boy will be better as he grows older..
cheer up k!
Dear HUiyin,
thanks for the post... really relieved that i am not the only mother suffering from this kind of situation. but also glad to know that you live in jurong west and i live in boon lay..you are 23 and i am 22..even we are going through the same situations..just seeking Gods help here. coz i wanted 3 kids(WOW) but now i dnt feel like having more babies..not another naughty baby boy though.. if possible will try for a baby girl. i love girls.. but now i love my baby boy too..

well he is quite overweight coz of my gens . i was a fatty baby so doctors said its coz of tht no ther resone. i minimise his foods. Still it seems as if he dont like to suck the nipple anymore. he drinks water with a little flask maybe i try using tht for him to drink milk. once a day i give him 5 to 6 oz of milk using the syringe.

He is sick because of me as i had the flu before him.:( what vitamins you are giving your child? please let me know i might use them too. coz i think my baby immuny system is too week that he fall sick so often..

PS...
How to PM you???