Advice needed - for international traveller mum-to-be in first trimester

imethereal

Hi all.. I have a travel intensive job and before I knew I was pregnant there was a few trips arranged. Worst there will be a long haul trip to Mexico (thou I will be on Business class) the week after (my 8th week). It's too late to cancel. I'm now at 6th week.. nausea kicked in a week ago, and start to have strong urge of throwing out when smelling some unpleasant things..

anybody travelled during first trimester? any advice? I got a feeling that I will vomit my entire gut out over the 20+ hours trip... :embarrassed:

lyra

I read that the thinner air in high latitude may cause miscarriage. Better be safe than sorry...

fuyumi

It really depends on how much you believe in whether travelling will cause any adverse effect on the pregnancy.

Personally I will not take the risk but I like to highlight something more important than that. I ever got really sick overseas during to food poisoning and I thanked myself for getting insurance. However, I feel that the uncertainty of the country's healthcare standards will be a factor that I feel should be a consideration for travelling pregnant woman. It's not something that should be taken for granted.

Sometimes you will have to look at things in a different perspective. How important is this job to you as compared to the baby? I had a friend who loves her job so much that she just went ahead with the trip despite her morning sickness and all. She did look very exhausted and pale even in her second trimester. If you feel that you have to travel, do be careful when u dine in other countries as food poisoning can be dangerous to the baby as compared to an airplane ride.

imethereal

thank you all. I cancelled the trip finally, with a bit of penalty. But nothing is more impt than the baby. Luckily boss is still quite understanding

tigermama

Hi!! Same for me too!! I found out the same day I was due to fly to the US for business 2days ago. Tested positive on home kit and went to gynae on same day. Although couldn't see anything yet at 4+ weeks, she had me test again to confirm. She advised me against travel esp long haul, and my husband and family are all worried, I decided to cancel the trip just hours before boarding. The trip was very important and i have been looking forward, But nothing is more important than the baby, no regrets!

KBH

hey mummies out there.. i am in a simliar predicament.. though i won't be doing long haul flights.. I have to make business travels to Malaysia and Beijing and i should be about 8-9 weeks by then.. it's really for a short stay and the flight to Beijing is only about 5hours.. do you think it's going to be that bad for me to fly there just for the 2 days to each country?

lyra

hey mummies out there.. i am in a simliar predicament.. though i won't be doing long haul flights.. I have to make business travels to Malaysia and Beijing and i should be about 8-9 weeks by then.. it's really for a short stay and the flight to Beijing is only about 5hours.. do you think it's going to be that bad for me to fly there just for the 2 days to each country?
If u have morning sickness, it's going to be quite tough on you. It usually kick starts at 6-8 weeks. Maybe you can ask your gynae for advices. Btw air quality is pretty bad in Beijing now. May be harmful to fetus n your health.

imethereal

As a mummy-to-be with intensive travelling job... my advice is try to plan and schedule your business meetings during 2nd trimester...

If really cannot avoid, bring progresterone pills with you... in case spotting observed you have something to fall back to.
Also, bring sufficient warm clothes, Beijing is of very different temperature from Singapore and KL- you must be extra careful not to catch a cold. And air quality there is super super bad.

keep your luggage as light as possible. Check-in as much stuff as possible. my last trip I wrap my laptop with my jacket and check it in - I don't care, because I don't want to carry it and lift it to the overhead cabin! The most you ask for a "fragile" sticker for your checkin luggage.

that's all I can think of......

of course the best still is - stay in Singapore. I don't think any employer companies will pay you anything except morale consolation if anything bad happen to you during a business trip. You are the only one responsible for your own baby's fate.

imethereal

to add on - that trip was when I was roughly about 5 week. and I still a bit regret being so garrang. Because I went to Jakarta and encountered the bad flood. Luckily nothing bad happened to me, however I was really sick in the midst of jam.

you know. 1st trimester is already with lots uncertainties. travelling add more to it. so you must really prepare for the worst...which isn't what you want to see.

And that moment I was totally freaked out and kept thinking if anything going to happen... bad experience.

KBH

Thanks all...I will see if I can wriggle out of it...worse case I might just do 1 and keep it to a day in and out of beijing. Will keep the hand carry light and standby the pills.. What's it for again ? The progresterone pills?
Best case is to skip it if I can't i will opt for face mask and to stay indoors!

sicapie

I think it is safer to travel when you hit your 2nd trimester. It is quite risky yo travel when you are still in your 1st trimester.