Advise need on The Young Scientists Maganizes

Connie08

Hi,

Wanted to introduce Science to my son (will be in P2 next year). Anyone read this maganize before ? Is it good ?

Cheer

Catty

Hi Connie08,

Just curious, ur son next year in Pri 2 got science already? Cos my daughter this year Pri 2 got no Science, only will have it next year Pri 3. :err:

Connie08

Hi Catty,

No lah..just a bit "kia su" wanted to introducer science to him. so that he got some knowledge. I show it at Popular for whole year 2008 (10 issues) level 1 abt $40+ a bit exp..for age 5-7.

akiva

hi

some schools do introduce magazine such as TALKING SCIENCE,
THE LEARNING ODYSSEY, MATHS OASIS, etc .... my kids like talking science and maths oasis.

we also introduced them to good books on science and general knowledge below, you might want check them out in Borders or Kinnokuniya:

Usborne Children's Books: Where are you? (2 - 5 yrs)
Little Book of Science
Little Book of the Human Body
Usborne Children's Encyclopedia
Pocket Scientist - The blue book
Pocket Scientist - The red book
etc

Buy Books - Dorling Kindersley (6 & above)
DK Reference Library

The Human Body Book
Astronomy
Geography of the world
Ocean
etc (per book costed S$60-80)

http://www.horrible-science.co.uk/http://www.horrible-science.co.uk/http://www.horrible-science.co.uk/
Horrible Histories - Home
Scholastic Children's Books: Horrible Geography

when my son was 10+, he attended 1st yr middle school (equal to sec 1) in international school and he uses a lot of information for the horrible series for his presentation and reports.

Cheers!

mosupdate!

HI Connie

I have a whole series of young scientists..passed to me by my sis in law...

my boy will only be in p2 next year - but has started reading the old editions since he was in mid P1. It is rather interesting really...and they present the info in story form and bite size information. Good idea to read to them for half an hour a day - I do! You are never too early to start them in the Science interest. My boy could recall some info he read from the mag ...but buy the ones for P3-4 ...I have the P5 -6 as well cos they are hand me down...those are more diff for him to grasp.

have fun!

MomIz
Moms, Update!

mrs chua

My son also ask me to buy for him (P4). 10 issue for $43, I find it very expensive. Anyone has those old issue from 2007 or 2008 to give away???

it is never too early to start science lah...

even in schools, some science projects are introduced at end of P1 and mid P2...

e.g. recognizing plant parts, growing a bean

you might want to consider getting science books from the library rather than spending too much money on those "educational" magazines --> some of those concepts are just echoing what is being presented in the textbook.

in fact, our MOE syllabus can be a little bit more narrow. get children to read widely about nature, else you kill the "love" for science by getting him/her to study the MOE style too early!

my boy in P2 now.... and the sch make it compulsory for them to subscribe.......

but only the top 2 classes needs to......

can use edusave

Yomoko

My sons are in K2 & N2 now, im using Grolier "I wonder why" and Disney "Children Encyclopedia". I always read to them and they love it so much.

Connie08

Hi,

Subscribe to The Young Scientists Magazines liao...Thnak God ! My son Love it ! otherwise waste $$

cheers

mosupdate!

yep..this is a very good magazine..my son is in P2 and reading teh P3 and P4 magazines for young scientist - I find it interesting too..we always read the mag together and had a lot of fun ;)