All about PAP smear/What is Pap Smear?

cendrine

For precaution and healthy reasons, i.e: infections or cancer.
How often do you do PAP smear?

Ever been to a female doc, she was not gentle when inserting e speculum.
Since then I prefer male doc...:)

What is PAP SMEAR???

A Pap smear is a test your doctor does to check for signs of cancer of the cervix. The cervix is part of your uterus (womb). During a Pap smear, your doctor takes a sample of cells from your cervix to be tested.

To take the sample, your doctor will put a special instrument called a speculum into your vagina. This helps open your vagina so the sample can be taken. Your doctor will gently clean your cervix with a cotton swab and then collect a sample of cells with a small brush, a tiny spatula or a cotton swab. This sample is put on a glass slide and sent to a lab to be checked.

What is the sample checked for?

The cells on the slide are checked for signs that they're changing from normal. Cells go through a series of changes before they turn into cancer. A Pap smear can show if your cells are going through these changes long before you have cancer. Cervical cancer is not life-threatening if it's caught early. This is why getting regular Pap smears is so important.

What do the results mean?

A negative Pap smear means that your results are normal. A positive Pap smear means that your results aren't normal.

A positive Pap smear can be a sign of a number of changes in the cells on your cervix:
  • Inflammation (irritation). This can be caused by an infection of the cervix, including a yeast infection, infection with the human papillomavirus (HPV) or herpes virus, or many other infections.
  • Very early signs of cancer. These changes are called dysplasia.
  • More serious signs of cancer. These changes affect the top layers of the cervix but don't go beyond the cervix. This is called "carcinoma in situ."
  • More advanced cancer.
When should I have Pap smears?

You should have your first Pap smear when you start having sex or by age 18.

Continue having a Pap smear once a year until you've had at least 3 normal ones. After this, you should have a Pap smear at least every 3 years, unless your doctor thinks you need them more often. Keep having Pap smears throughout your life, even after you've gone through menopause.

Certain things put you at higher risk of cervical cancer. Your doctor will consider these when recommending how often you should have a Pap smear.

If you're older than 65, talk with your doctor about how often you need a Pap smear. If you've been having Pap smears regularly and they've been negative, you may not need to keep having them.

How reliable is the test?

No test is perfect, but the Pap smear is a reliable test. It has helped drastically lower the number of women who die of cervical cancer.

Sometimes the test may need to be redone because there were not enough cells on the slide. The lab will tell your doctor if this happens.

ThinPrep, PAPNET and FocalPoint are ways to make Pap smears more accurate. ThinPrep is a way of preparing the sample of cells that makes it easier to spot abnormalities. PAPNET and FocalPoint are computer systems that help lab technicians find abnormal cells. These options may not be available in all areas, and they may increase the cost of a Pap smear.

What should I do before the test?

Plan to have your test done at a time when you aren't having your menstrual period. Don't douche, use a feminine deodorant or have sex for 24 hours before the test.

What happens if I have a positive Pap smear?

If the results of your Pap smear are positive, your doctor may want to do another Pap smear or may want you to have a colposcopy.

A colposcopy gives your doctor a better look at your cervix and allows him or her to take a sample of tissue (called a biopsy). Your doctor will use an instrument called a colposcope to shine a light on your cervix and magnify it. Your doctor will explain the results and discuss treatment options with you.

What puts me at risk of cervical cancer?

The main risk factors for cervical cancer are related to sexual practices. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) may make your cells more likely to undergo changes that can lead to cancer. STDs include HPV, herpes, gonorrhea and chlamydia. HPV is the virus that can cause genital warts. It seems to be very closely connected with these changes.​

Is there anything I can do to avoid getting cervical cancer?
You may be able to reduce your risk of cervical cancer if you:
  • Delay sexual intercourse until you're 20 years of age or older.
  • Have only 1 sex partner who doesn't have an STD and is only having sex with you.
  • Limit your number of sex partners.
  • Always use latex condoms (rubbers) to protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). (Remember condoms aren't 100% effective.)
  • Avoid smoking.
Source:

American Academy of Family Physicians

Last edited by a moderator:

mae

Re: All about PAP smear

after birth i had my papsmear every 6 months...then last year,everything is clear...my gynea told me i can already have my papsmear once a year. Will be having it this month for my 2007 papsmear.

LoVeS

My gynae say if is ok frm ur last pap smear u should do it on annually basis.

huihui

I do it annually or wen i got very bad vaginal infection or itchiness.

Ting

i nvr do b4 leh.....was thinking to go do one..wad r the charges like huh??

LoVeS

ting,

i think $30++ for GP n as long as u haf sex b4 no matter hw old aso should do the test..

Ting

ic..i heard b4 tt after preg the doc will ask u to do it..well. maybe i will go it this/next mth. thanks loves.

XiaoXue

I did my PAP smear last year and they send letter to me to say my result was normal & next appt for PAP smear will be 3 years later..

huihui

ic..i heard b4 tt after preg the doc will ask u to do it..well. maybe i will go it this/next mth. thanks loves.
U nvr go back for pap smear after u gave birth meh? I went back to my gynae 1.5mth after i gave birth, den she done a pap smear, check for breast lump, etc for my postnatal checkup.

AugBoyz

have been going for yearly pap smear for a long long time :D After giving birth, gynae told me to go back for a pap smear too. Next appt will be this year sept. Charges? I think mine is $40+

Ting

U nvr go back for pap smear after u gave birth meh? I went back to my gynae 1.5mth after i gave birth, den she done a pap smear, check for breast lump, etc for my postnatal checkup.
nono...don hv...i went to poly to check..the doc nvr ask leh..idiot...

LoVeS

Normally after birth u still go back to ur gynae till 1 or 2 visits then u dun need see ur gynae le n tt is when ur gynae will do the pap smear.

Serene Lee

I did my PAP smear last year and they send letter to me to say my result was normal & next appt for PAP smear will be 3 years later..

Hi serene here ,

I also the same as you . i went to polyclinic for postnatal checkup and done the pap smear 4mth delivery of my second bb... doc also say next papsmear will 3yrs later... my next check will be sometime after chinese new 2008

deardar

i did my pap smear in year 05 & year 06 i delivered i was told no need to do pap smear wait till year 07/08

2years once

is that true??
or v can do yearly basis???

LoVeS

actually it advice to do it annually but 3yrs once aso can lah