Anyone bought maternity risk insurance?

veronica

hi there, as part of my hospitalisation plan from GE, i'm covered for hospitalisation due to pregnancy complications.
Thanks for your input. But I thought such coverage is always an optional and you have to pay additional if you want to be covered?

for GE's hospitalisation plans, no. it's included in the std plan. other co's hospitalisation plans probably dun cover that.

there is also another type of plan/rider which cover female related stuff, giving a lump sum or reimbursement for stuff like masectomy, cancers of female organs, and birth complications. quite a few companies offer that.

however for both, there is usually a waiting period, which means that you shdn't be pregnant when you buy them. not sure if any mummies here know of plans that you can get when already preggers?

ooops! sorry for the late reply!
for my plan, the waiting period is 10mths. and it covers for complications arising from pregnancy/childbirth. however, it doesn't cover any complication resulting from a delivery method such as c-section.
ie. if i have elective c-section, and complication arises out of that, the plan doesn't pay. but if i choose natural delivery, and complication arised such that c-section is necessary, the plan pays.
also, when i say the plan pays, it only pays for my portion of the hospitalisation. the baby is not covered under the plan.

veronica

Thanks for your input.

I have checked around and only AIA has such policy. The rest of the company only cover you in the event of pregnancy complication etc.

But of course the AIA one is not cheap and many things need to take into consideration before buying this policy.