baby led weaning

Hi. I'm thinking of starting solid for my baby using the baby led weaning method. Seems that it isn't so popular here. Anybody planning to do blw or have done it with your LO? Can you share with me by replying to this thread?

ast0212

I've done it with both my kids. More with the second. With my son I started him with steamed broccoli. With my daughter she started on strawberries as it was in season hahah. They tried different foods like pasta, pizza (homemade), banana, steamed veggies.

I love this method as it teaches babies to chew before swallowing rather than swallow before learning to chew, making it less risk of choking. They may gag a bit...but that depends on baby...my daughter naturally gags a lot even when she was exclusively breastfed.

It does take a bit of time before they actually eat anything but that's ok as food isn't so important at that age :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm sold on this idea although my mil need some convincing. Nevertheless I will still try it even if it means doing it only on my off days and weekends. Question: do wait until your kids can sit straight on a high chair or u started when they hit 6 months?

ast0212

I started my son at 6.5m and my daughter at 6m. Best when they are able to sit up. For my girl I had to put a pillow behind her back. Recommended to start at 6m so their gut is ready.

You can start bub is ready and whenever it is convenient for you. They can try it once daily or once every couple of days. I did skip days sometimes, since food isn't meant to fill them up. Milk does a good job of that so don't feel guilty if they don't "eat" on some days.

It is hard to convince the older generation of this method. Especially when they believe porridge is the food of life (my girl hates porridge even now at 18m!) that must be eaten 3 times a day from 4m.
And then there's the argument that they're not getting enough nuitrition. But milk (especially breastmilk) is more nutritious than food for young babies and is easily absorbed. Their little tummies aren't able to fully absorb the nutrition from food at this stage :)

ast0212

Ohh and blw is definitely the most convenient way to start babies on food. No need to blend or puree anything! No wasting money on baby cereals and little gadgets for baby food preparation, or tasteless bottled/packet food. Only thing is cleaning up the mess :p

But it is fun and exciting watching baby eat all on their own and in their own time. Enjoy! :)