Baby's formula milk

smiley811

Hi all

Need some advise.

There are so many brands of formula milk powder for babies in the market and they all come in different different steps for different age group.

For example
  • 0 to 6 months drink Step 1
  • 6 to 12 months drink Step 2
  • blah blah blah
Can I ask how many of you actually follow the steps?

I heard from my cousin that the higher the step, the sweeter the milk powder. This is actually to suit the babies' taste buds as they start to taste different kind of flavours as they grow older.

Hence, it is better for us (mummies) to stay at Step 2 whenever possible.

I follow the advice and am still giving my girl (currently 16 months) Step 2 of Dumex Mamil Gold. BUT I'm afraid that she might be losing some important nutrients that she needs at her age. *Very kiasu* :shyxxx:

So can anyone verify the above point???
Thank you

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
smiley811 said:
Hi all

Need some advise.

There are so many brands of formula milk powder for babies in the market and they all come in different different steps for different age group.

For example
  • blah blah blah

I heard from my cousin that the higher the step, the sweeter the milk powder. This is actually to suit the babies' taste buds as they start to taste different kind of flavours as they grow older.

I follow the advice and am still giving my girl (currently 16 months) Step 2 of Dumex Mamil Gold. BUT I'm afraid that she might be losing some important nutrients that she needs at her age. *Very kiasu* :shyxxx:

Thank you
The stages are specifically important when you advance ... especially when progressing from stage 1 to stage 2 (when they are still so young at 6 months old). This is becoz you are introducing new nutrients to the baby, which could overload their stomach & their liver ... if there are not ready.

In my case, when I progressed from stage 1 to stage 2, I did it in gradual steps over weeks ... for example, if I were to make the milk with 3 scoops of milk powder, I'd be mixing 2 scoops of stage 1 & 1 scoop of stage 2 for 1 week ... when I dun see any adverse reactions in his stools, I'd then mix 1 scoop of stage 1 & 2 scoops of stage 2 in the following week ... & eventually all 3 scoops of stage 2 in the following week.

In your case, when you dun move up ... all you're doing is deny your little one the new nutrients which she would (or would not) benefit from.
Just for you, I've made a comparison using Similac (stage 2) & Gain (stage 3) ... from what I can see, when progressing to Gain, there is a drastic drop in the Omega3 & Omega6 content, which is essential for brain development ... also, there's a significant increase in minerals like calcium, potassium & manganese, which is essential in bone & teeth development.

So, you decide yourself now ... :laugh: :laugh:

autumn82

Hi all

Need some advise.

For example
  • blah blah blah

Thank you
Hi there,

Yes, the higher the stage of milk formula, it gets sweeter. But I believe not only sweeter, even the DHA/AA blahblahblah also gets higher rite? So maybe its time to change her formula..? I totally change DD and DS formula when they reach 7mths to stage 2..

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
VroomVroomBoys said:
In my case, when I progressed from stage 1 to stage 2, I did it in gradual steps over weeks ... for example, if I were to make the milk with 3 scoops of milk powder, I'd be mixing 2 scoops of stage 1 & 1 scoop of stage 2 for 1 week ... when I dun see any adverse reactions in his stools, I'd then mix 1 scoop of stage 1 & 2 scoops of stage 2 in the following week ... & eventually all 3 scoops of stage 2 in the following week.
To be absolutely accurate, my older son was on BM until 6 months old ... but we didn't let him have stage 2 immediately when we switched him to FM. As described above, he was about 7 months old, by the time he totally embarked on stage 2. :laugh: :laugh:

smiley811

Thank you both for your replies.

I also feel the same. I may be denying my baby with some nutrients which she needs as she grows.

I called Dumex up just now. They told me that Step 2 contains more protein, DHA, AA and SA which are good for babies' brains. Step 3 contains more carbohydrates to give babies more energy as they start to have the ability to move around.

So long as my baby has no difficulty in eating cereal and porridge (which gives her carbo), I can continue with the Step 2 formula.

Hmmm... tough call.

I hope more mummies can give their advice.
Thank you.

BbpHir3

abit off topic here.. but since we're on the topic of milk formula.. i got a few questions..

1. My step-daughter (Vanessa, 4years old) wants to drink milk with a bottle at night before her bedtime. This leads to questions I want to ask:

a) Because Vanessa only comes over in the weekends, we decided not to buy her milk powder. Cuz milk powder open for too long will harden. So we gave her my daughter's ( Letitia, 3 months old) milk formula. Is that ok? (Vanessa prefers powdered milk than fresh milk. Currently feeding Enfalac A+ Stage 1)

b) Morning or Night drinking got differance? Which prefered/better?

c) Any tested and proven ways of making her not use the bottle? Because I'm worried of the growth of her teeth. She don't dare to ask to use the bottle at her mum's place, she only used it when she comes over at the weekends.

2. I'm currently feeding Letitia 5oz water with 3.5 scoops stage 1 plus 1 scoop AR. Cuz Letitia HAD regurgitation problem. (Both by Enfalac A+)

a) Have anyone tried Enfalac A+ b4? any comments can give?

b) It seems that the milk powder harder to melt. Is it all milk powder lyk tat or only Enfalac? I usually c the AR powder floating on top, n the normal Stage 1 de gathering at the bottom. sometimes if nv mix properly, the teat of the bottle get stuck. Any method of melting them properly?

c) Letitia's complaining tat she's having too little milk. She can start askin for milk every 2.5h interval. But her weight's standing at 75percentile, which is above medium/ average sized babies of her age. I hate to hear her cry right after every feed, but I'm more worried that her regurgitation problem comes back if i gif her too much milk. Wat should i do?

I think tat's bout all for now.. abit long-winded hor.. sorry sorry!!