cottage cheese

uddermummy

anyone feeding their bbs this type of cheese?

How do i know if something is cottage cheese? Am confused between the different types of cheeses. :001_302:

meiteoh

Not every cheese is the same - they differ in terms of not just flavour and the milk used (goat, cow, sheep - unpasteurised, pasteurised) but how it is made and the aging length among other things.

Cottage cheese is cheese curd - the stuff that is left when you cook milk with an acid. It is not aged or coloured.

It's a good health food because of its low sodium and fat content, and is usually eaten with fruits, cucumber (tzatziki) or just cane/brown sugar. I used to eat heaps of this when I was in Switzerland and preggers.

For more info, check out Wiki's page on cottage cheese here.

uddermummy

Not every cheese is the same - they differ in terms of not just flavour and the milk used (goat, cow, sheep - unpasteurised, pasteurised) but how it is made and the aging length among other things.

Cottage cheese is cheese curd - the stuff that is left when you cook milk with an acid. It is not aged or coloured.

It's a good health food because of its low sodium and fat content, and is usually eaten with fruits, cucumber (tzatziki) or just cane/brown sugar. I used to eat heaps of this when I was in Switzerland and preggers.

For more info, check out Wiki's page on cottage cheese here.
thanks meiteoh! Do you know of any particular brands of cottage cheese? Or where to get them in singapore?

I tried asking for cottage cheese at cold storage, but that auntie there gave me a hard cheese instead. :p

meiteoh

Urm, I saw some at Fair Price, Carrefour and Cold Storage. Don't go to the cheese/deli section. Cottage cheese is usually placed together with items like cream cheese, whipped creams and yoghurts. It'll be written cottage cheese on it but you have to look quite hard coz it's usually just one or two brands.

I forget already the brand(s) coz I tried some here and it doesn't taste very yummy compared to the ones in Switzerland (haiiiii) but they come in small tubs of about 2.85 to 3 bucks each.

uddermummy

Urm, I saw some at Fair Price, Carrefour and Cold Storage. dont't go to the cheese/deli section. Cottage cheese is usually placed together with items like cream cheese, whipped creams and yoghurts. It'll be written cottage cheese on it but you have to look quite hard coz it's usually just one or two brands.

I forget already the brand(s) coz I tried some here and it doesn't taste very yummy compared to the ones in Switzerland (haiiiii) but they come in small tubs of about 2.85 to 3 bucks each.
no wonder i couldn't find any cottage cheese no matter how hard i looked for it in the deli section.

Mystery solved! :tlaugh:

meiteoh

Yeah, the laughing cow brand is good - my hubby who is French doesn't like them because back in France, the vache kiri (laughing cow) is for children!!! Do note that even his niece and nephew who are 10 and 7 respectively don't eat soft cheeses. XD

As for myself, the smellier the cheese, the better it is...with the exception of cottage cheese la. HAHAHAHA!

lithin

Hi, I want to make bake pasta for 5year old.

Any cottage cheese and mozerrlla cheese recommendation??

Thanks

melvinchia

Alpha Male
Hi, I want to make bake pasta for 5year old.

Any cottage cheese and mozerrlla cheese recommendation??

Thanks
Hi Lithin,
The best tasting (and best-priced) cheese I've bought and used in my pastas and breads for my <2yr old dotter is the shredded mixed red/white cheese First Choice (or No Frills) packet cheese from Cold Storage (or Jason's Maretplace). You can usually ask the staff where to find it, coz the cold storages i've been to usually keep their cheeses in 3-4 locations (I have no idea why!)

They usually sell these cheeses in cubes or shredded packs, either in white, red, or red+white mixed. I usually grab a pack or two and use the whole pack each time, either all in one cheese loaf or a pasta dish.

As for cottage cheese, I've but given up most hope. Seems the "best" cottage cheese in Singapore is sold and bought by the Indian community and used in their dishes. Maybe can try serangoon road or mustafa supermarket instead.