Dismissal after 7months sick leave & Medical insurance through work...

Hello,
I am currently recovering from a cancer (finished radiotherapy, chemo etc) and suffer from severe fatigue as well as Lymphedema. I have been off work from March 2022 (almost 7 months). My SSP has been expired after 28 weeks and also my company sick pay will expire after 20 Sept. I am now really struggling to make a decission whether to go back on the 21st Sept. Genuinly I am not feeling good enough. The Oncologist said I would need another 6 months to recoved from the Severe fatugue. I wonder what is going to happen once my Company sick pay expires. Am I going to be dismissed? I have worked for them over 19 years. I also have BUPA insurance which is worth a gold to me as I am receiving all tretments with BUPA. Is my medical insurance going to stop when I stop receiving "salary"? My understanding is that if my Medical insurance stops it will be impossible to get the new insurance as my cancer will be classes as pre-existing condition. So my company would need the keep paying for me? Will they do this for next 6 months when I am not working? Or should I offer to pay them to keep BUPA continualy active. If anything I would need to go back to work just to make my BUPA going but I really do not feel ready. What is your advice?

JaneBower

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. It's understandable that you're concerned about what will happen with your medical insurance and job status. One thing you might consider is speaking with an insurance broker. They can provide you with some guidance on how your medical insurance through BUPA will be affected if you're no longer receiving a salary. You can also check out ibgportland.com, they may have more information on insurance options for you. It's worth having a conversation with your employer about your concerns and see if there are any possibilities. Good luck and make sure you're taking care of yourself!

lostinthedarkkk

It's truly commendable that you've shown so much dedication to your job for over 19 years. First of all, welcome to the forum—I'm relatively new here too! Given your health condition and the advice from your oncologist, it sounds like you might need more time to recover fully. It's completely understandable that you don't feel ready to return to work just yet. In situations like this, your health should always come first.

MikeWillson

They should be able to provide you with information about whether your medical insurance will continue after your sick pay expires. Some companies do continue to provide benefits for employees on extended sick leave, but it can vary from one employer to another. They may have some flexibility in how benefits are managed during medical leaves, especially for long-time employees like you. In the meantime, I'd recommend checking out the "life tips" mentioned at https://lifestyletothemax.co.uk/. It might have some valuable advice on managing your situation and maintaining your well-being. Remember, your health is the top priority, and you've been through a lot. Take the time you need to recover, and hopefully, your employer will be understanding and supportive during this challenging period.

Last edited: