down syndrome test

Raina

I'll be having my first blood test next week and by then i'll be in my 16th week. I suppose this is to test for down syndrome?

During my last visit, gynae said that the scans look good. We can see the nose bridge and the measurement at the back of the neck was within the good range.

Will this be the only test for down syndrome or more to come as the pregnancy goes on?

hueychye79

I'll be having my first blood test next week and by then i'll be in my 16th week. I suppose this is to test for down syndrome?

During my last visit, gynae said that the scans look good. We can see the nose bridge and the measurement at the back of the neck was within the good range.

Will this be the only test for down syndrome or more to come as the pregnancy goes on?
If I am not wrong, the OSCAR test only can be done around the week 12- week 16.

After week 16, the test is no more accurate.

For my case, in week 12 I done the blood test and Oscar Test.

Due to the result is not good, week 16 I carry the amnio test and manage to know my baby gender and of course the result is ok.

Weeks 20 is details scan.

I think later on I still need to carry one blood test. :001_302:

jojoki

I didn't do any test cos me and my hubby agreed that no matter how she turns out we will give her a chance to live, we will love n accept her. But i do know that there are certain test done at different stage of pregnancy.

nuchal transclucensy test (test the thickness of babys neck n nose, i think)
and a blood screen test, done i think in first trimester (between 12-15 weeks)
n the intrusive one is amniocentesis... btw if not wrong.. down syndrome is apparently also genetic.. if u have family members who are down syndrome thn u may have a increased chance of having one...

20 weeks is a detailed scan on organs, bones, and soft markers... also check mommy's cervix.. :)

babytan

hi all, went for my regular check-up yesterday...as i am in my 9th weeks, gynea asked if i wanna do the D.S. test...

he said can be done either:
3rd month - 90% accurate / $400 / at Thomson Medical Center
4th month - 75% accurate / $100 / at his clinic

just wanna ask which 1 would you go for it? and the costs reasonable or i was simply charged too much?:err:as i read previous posts and the most expensive is like 300 whereas mine is 400??
thanks in advance:Dancing_wub:

Last edited:

newbie2009

Normally for test for down syndrome, they will recommend for the non-invasive test, which just requires you to draw blood to test if your baby got Down. In the events if the result is not "satisfactory" your gynae will normally recommend a invasive test (aminocentesis), which will require the draw the amino fluid from your womb for testing.

Ting

whether u will love n accept your baby or decide to abort is one thing.
the D.S test is just to prepare u better if u happen to find out your child has D.S
so u can do more research n find out more on how to take care of children with special needs instead of flustering when baby is born.

everyone would wish to hv a healthy baby, if their baby hv special needs, hv to admit, many would feel disappointed.
at least if u find out early, u r better prepared and know what to expect n how to deal with the situation.

JMHO.

jasobias

hi all, went for my regular check-up yesterday...as i am in my 9th weeks, gynea asked if i wanna do the D.S. test...

just wanna ask which 1 would you go for it? and the costs reasonable or i was simply charged too much?:err:as i read previous posts and the most expensive is like 300 whereas mine is 400??
Hi,i did mine at 13 weeks then n was charged abt $400+ for the blood n scan.It is abit on the steep side but i guess thts wht some hospitals charge.

iwan2noe

Hi hi,

I had my results back ytd and i did the test in my 12th wks... my chances of haveing a D.S baby is 1 out of 10,000 and my gynae said that this doesnt warrant any further test.. so I am more rest assured now.. :) I paid $200 for my OSCAR test and this include HIV screening etc :) my test results is optimistic, everything fine...

Last edited:

ebi

I done the DS test in KK cost about 320 scan + blood test in 13wk with 90% accuracy, you could see detail from its web site.