epidural or oxyen gas...

P4nic

i tink i will still go for epidural coz my threshold for pain is very very VERY low. hahahaha

asianmirage

from my 2 deliveries....
I recommended epidural if you are one who cannot withstand pain.
Laughing gas is of no use and if you plan to have Pethidine injection, think twice, coz your baby may have to go HD for observation.

I am one who often want to experience, non medicine to be given labour. But I was totally wrong. At the end of it, after suffering from all the contraction pains, I still got to get epidural. It does not affect any spine injuries as long as you have a good anaethestist (sorry forgot how to spell). But one side effect for me is having rigour (chills). But other than that, I am thankful for epidural.

(I am working in healthcare, so do know what are the side effects, the pros and cons of epidural) but becoz of the fact that in the olden days, without analgesias, women still can give birth like that..so want to try....but its really a painful experience.

The basic action for laughing gas is to knock you off...but once the next contraction comes, you be awake in no time.

The basic action for laughing gas is to knock you off...but once the next contraction comes, you be awake in no time.
hmm, don't think that's how laughing gas works - shouldn't knock you out. the way my gynae described it, it'll shave off the pain by 10 to 15%. i really can't tell...

used laughing gas with first delivery cos membranes artifically ruptured so pain was a little more intense. second one water bag only broke as baby was coming out - i was still smiling at 10cm dilated, so of course no need for anything... my threshold for pain is quite high but i think what also worked was i practised visualisation. think that helped me focus quite well and took my attention away from the pain?

Mummy to Baby V

I used deep breathing techniques taught in antenatal class, managed contractions for 27 hours. But dilation was super-slow... after 27 hours, only less than 3cm dilation. (I have a high pain threshold too.)

In order to sleep, I took epidural at 1am. At 11am, baby was out after 15min of pushing. I vomited several times, once nearly onto the baby! Luckily I took epidural late, otherwise couldn't eat for 1+ day. How to push?

Mummy to Baby V

I think gas is for those who are not induced coz induced birth is a lot more painful than natural birth.
I learnt this from antenatal class:
- natural contractions build up gradually and mums are able to adjust to the higher level of pain & frequency

- induced labour: the contractions that occur are suddenly the frequent & painful ones, which mums have no time to adjust to. Therefore, usually in induced labour, mums ask for pain relief & epidural.

If you'd like to avoid pain relief or epidural, then go for induced labour only when medically necessary.

trine

i had induced labour, my dilation was slow, i waited 7 hours and i was 5cm dilated and it stopped there. when i couldn't stand the pain i asked for epidural but doctors didn't allow it, they said it's too late. i am just curious, at how many cm dilated can you have epidural actually? isn't it better to have the epidural a little later so we can 'feel' when to push when we are fully dilated? i really really wished i could have delivered my son naturally but i ended up having c-section.

one of the docs (i had two for the c-section..) encouraged me to try "VBAC" - vaginal birth after caesarian, for my next baby.. but well it may still be a loooong time.. but if i were to have vbac, i think i'd definitely ask for epidural

BB Tigger

:eek:
actually it depends on a few things. some ppl can go thru d whole delivery w just oxygen gas cos they find d pain bearable. some r scared of needles so dont want epi. some cos it's too late for epi. for me, though i'm scared of needles but i'm more scared of immense pain, so i choose epi right away. haha.. luckily i still got a chance to make a choice.

actually it's not as bad . just dat d feeling is weird when they inject d liquid in. cold feeling. n you'll start to shiver uncontrollably. you can ask d nurse to reduce your dosage if you want to feel d push, which i feel is better. lower chance of getting d common side-effects (e.g. vomitting, giddiness,..)
By reducing the dosage, will you still feel any pain? :eek:

Mummy to Baby V

:eek:

By reducing the dosage, will you still feel any pain? :eek:
Epidural can't be taken too late as hospital needs time to arrange for anesthetist to arrive, setup, and then about 20 min for it to work.

Tip: book an anesthetist to be on stand-by in case you decide to have epidural eventually.

Initially, it's usually full dose. If it works, then lower half of body should be numb.

When almost fully dilated, may request for reduced dosage. This way, you can feel the contractions, but not too painful and know when to push.

eissacsirhc

Waoh the oxygen gas.. Totally no use for me at all.. I tink its juz smth to distract u from the pain cuz u have to concentrate on breathing and stuff liddat.. But when u have to take the epidural juz take it b4 its too late to do so.. I tink its better to have a comfortable delivery rather den be in so much pain..

Renzie

hmm..I didn't know induced birth is more painful than natural. Mine was induced, I don't even know my waterbag burst until the nurses said so, I was already using laughing gas then.

I had taken 4 pills in all for inducement. During the 2nd pill there was slight contractions, i think it was braxton hicks, as it subsided after a while.Then when I was going for the 4th pill, I was having some contractions already, can't really stand straight. Then after the insertion of the 4th pill, the contractions started coming in more intensely.

Most importantly to all mothers going for inducement, you know your body best, if you are having contractions please do inform the nurses or your gynae. I was having contractions and yet the machine which they used to detect for baby's heartbeat for contractions never registered anything! Different types of the machine was being used on me, and yet it never detect anything even though I was having slight contractions already, don't be like me dumb dumb never say anything. Until after my 4th pill and I asked the nurse who attended why I so pain and yet charts never register anything. Then she quickly rearrange the 2 tabs that are being fixed to my tummy. Only then my contractions were detected. She did tell me though that if the tabs are not being put properly and at the proper spot, cannot detect.

As for being so high til forget to push..lol. I was too busy grapping hold of the oxygen mask and breathing in, and feeling so high/goggy that the nurses had to shout at me to push, threaten me with forceps and vaccum for forced labour and told my hubby to prevent me from breathing in too much of it...thinking back..i think I must have looked like a drug addict then. lol.

apple21

Hi all mummies to be,
I just gave birth to my baby girl, 3.28kg on 4th Sept and she is my first child.
She is a full term baby born on 40week.
I had a natural child birth and I only use the laughing gas. My labour is short as I had about 4hours of labour. My contraction starts in mid noon but was bearable at 3cm. In the evening at 7plus when i had my bath i had show.
I went to the hospital at 10.30pm and after all the admin was done, I went to the labour room at 12.30am. By 3.30am, my baby was born, but i took an hr to push. I was conscious throughout the labour even with the laughing gas. I did a lot a housework and walk during my pregnancy.The last week of pregnancy, I drank a few cups of raspberry tea and coconut water. I do not know if all these quicken the labour.
Midwives all surprise my first birth I dialate so fast and laughing gas works well with me. I also use breathing method during each contraction.
Thus, trust your body and mentally tell yourself "I can do it". All the best to all mums.

paperger85

Epidural can't be taken too late as hospital needs time to arrange for anesthetist to arrive, setup, and then about 20 min for it to work.

Tip: book an anesthetist to be on stand-by in case you decide to have epidural eventually.

Initially, it's usually full dose. If it works, then lower half of body should be numb.

When almost fully dilated, may request for reduced dosage. This way, you can feel the contractions, but not too painful and know when to push.
By right, we should still be able to feel the pain and the contractions even with epidural. If you feel nothing, it most probably is an overdose. The doctor should reduce the amount administered and let the mum feel the pain and contraction otherwise she will not be able to push.

There are many cases of assisted birth with epidural as doctors often overdose and with mummy being unable to feel anything, doctors have to assist with vacuum and/or forceps.

hmm..I didn't know induced birth is more painful than natural. Mine was induced, I dont't even know my waterbag burst until the nurses said so, I was already using laughing gas then.

I had taken 4 pills in all for inducement. During the 2nd pill there was slight contractions, i think it was braxton hicks, as it subsided after a while.Then when I was going for the 4th pill, I was having some contractions already, can't really stand straight. Then after the insertion of the 4th pill, the contractions started coming in more intensely.

Most importantly to all mothers going for inducement, you know your body best, if you are having contractions please do inform the nurses or your gynae. I was having contractions and yet the machine which they used to detect for baby's heartbeat for contractions never registered anything! Different types of the machine was being used on me, and yet it never detect anything even though I was having slight contractions already, dont't be like me dumb dumb never say anything. Until after my 4th pill and I asked the nurse who attended why I so pain and yet charts never register anything. Then she quickly rearrange the 2 tabs that are being fixed to my tummy. Only then my contractions were detected. She did tell me though that if the tabs are not being put properly and at the proper spot, cannot detect.

As for being so high til forget to push..lol. I was too busy grapping hold of the oxygen mask and breathing in, and feeling so high/goggy that the nurses had to shout at me to push, threaten me with forceps and vaccum for forced labour and told my hubby to prevent me from breathing in too much of it...thinking back..i think I must have looked like a drug addict then. lol.

any breathing techniques using laughing gas??????? :Dancing_wub:

lowe

Is epidural really dat painful when inject to the spinal.
or
Shld i chose oxygen gas... does it really help to relieve painfulness...

Pls advise.

TQ.:err:
HI.. took oxygen gas.. but does not help at all.. waste money.. no epidural for me..

angelwendy

HI.. took oxygen gas.. but does not help at all.. waste money.. no epidural for me..
As for this.. i think it depends... for me.. it helps a little... but when the gynae stiche my below... i use the gas.. it helps alot...