Feedback on Rainbow Centre-Queenstown

Thought of transferring my girl to Rainbow-Queenstown. Any feedback fr mummies. How u find e sch? The teachers, therapist, etc.

Angelmum

My girl was ex-MDSS (which is what you mean by queenstown area). Many many years ago, this is a good school with good teachers and experienced therapists.

Recent years, both branches equally bad. If you've high expectation for child to achieve something ... you can't rely on them. Dont be surprised the teachers and therapists' knowledge is worst than you. RC tend to give excuse not enough therapists to provide therapies. Your child could be paying school fee yet not receiving weekly/monthly therapy ... the wait could be months to years. Imagine if you've enrolled from Early Intervention, paying $100 per month but no weekly therapy, told you're under observations, asked to travel all the way just to attend 2 hours per day, twice a week, are you keen?

If I have a chance, I want to try AWWA. There are not fantastic but seemed better than RC .... commented by other parents who tried both RCs and then AWWA.

There's no transport from school to my house and it is really too far, too time consuming, too inconvenient (heavy stroller) to take public transport, thus, no chance to go AWWA.

Last edited:
Hi, i heard AWWA provide home-base leh. I met one of e mummy told me tat. U wanna give a call to check it out? Seem tat no matter where u go is e same. My girl current sch aso like tat. High turnover rate. Worse, teacher is sick yet dun dare to take MC. Reason.. Alot of teachers on leave, short-handed. Dun know shall i cry or not. Ended up both of us fall sick in e afternoon. :(

Angelmum

Hi, i heard AWWA provide home-base leh. I met one of e mummy told me tat. U wanna give a call to check it out? Seem tat no matter where u go is e same. My girl current sch aso like tat. High turnover rate. Worse, teacher is sick yet dun dare to take MC. Reason.. Alot of teachers on leave, short-handed. Dun know shall i cry or not. Ended up both of us fall sick in e afternoon. :(

3rd quarter 2011, I communicated with social worker on how to get my child attend AWWA at the same time tap on their student care services. Home based option wasn't offered, could be unsuitable for my girl.

I'm stuck at RC unless govt intend to build a daycare centre (must be nearby) with a huge softplay cum playground for my girl to move about. If this option is available, I rather remove her from special school and FIRE MY DOMESTIC HELPER :Dancing_wub:... facing too many unfair MOM policies which are favouring maids and their agencies. No fun being tied down with harsh liabilities when fault wasn't employer... now no choice but to count on both.

When teachers get sick in RC Yishun, instead of 1 teacher babysit 3-5 kids, she could end up with 8! Some parents & maids simply dropped the kids and went to enjoy long breaks. When a particular kid need to change diaper or walks slower, everybody got to wait. Imagine softplay is 9am, kids walked too slow or moving around, by the time they gathered and reach already 9.15am .... don't like RC's system.

Everybody get sick and deserves a rest but RC tend pamper to irresponsible parents and maids too much, sacrificing other kids' chance to learn and use the school facilities. If RC knows one teacher is down, they should tell those irresponsible parents and maids to stay in class 4 solid hrs to handle their own kids, don't waste others time.

In e first place, caregivers r allow to sit in? Everybody scares once they r called to stay once. Teachers will take 'advantage' of them. I aso heard fr another mummy tat if e caregiver stays in e classrm, e teacher pay lesser attention to e kid & spend more time on others. Gd & bad..

Angelmum

In e first place, caregivers r allow to sit in? Everybody scares once they r called to stay once. Teachers will take 'advantage' of them. I aso heard fr another mummy that if e caregiver stays in e classrm, e teacher pay lesser attention to e kid & spend more time on others. good & bad..
That's true "Teachers will take 'advantage' of them'". In RC PPMD, caregivers allowed to sit in. One teacher to a ratio of 3 to 5 students. How to manage if no volunteer or caregiver around, who suffers, our kid! Caregiver can use this opportunity to take a break as well as train the child to be independent. But the lack of teacher or caregiver's attention, do you feel the child is in safe hands? Not frighten she eats rubbish, nothing to eat (no time to feed) or get hurt? Child might even be strapped to the chair for easier control.... make any sense to go school and just be strapped, watch teacher busy attends to other students for hours?? Nothing learnt!!

Few years ago, there was a RC case of student not attended at swimming pool. Caregiver missing!
Teacher has other students, unable to give the deceased attention.... something like that ... do you want to be taken advantaged by school/teacher or ensure your child is safe? I rather my girl is safe and remain at RC to 'kill time' .... if this is Spore special education and how special needs children are being treated, I've no other choice but to accept.

Note: Child might not be fed during break time ... RC short-handed so many things can happen to a class of students requiring teacher's attention but caregivers unavailable. All the kids in that class need a person to bring them to toilet, shuttle to other rooms or for therapy, etc. Who to watch the other 6 - 8 kids? It is either the other teacher (2 teachers per class) or nobody if the other teacher is on MC.

I once thought of doing the same drop-of thing (felt frustrated and unfair with RC system) but I realised, my own girl, see her not attended by teacher (teacher tend to go to her usual or favourite students), I felt bad for her.... that's why I really hope for a daycare centre, keep her totally out of special school. Students do not get to learn, lack of chance, more like killing time in school, waste money! These are my observations as a RC parent, 4 yrs in RC Yishun. Very disappointing. That's why when school pushing me to place my girl for daily class, I firmly rejected. Told Rainbow frankly and quite harsh tone, going to school is a waste of time. If I see improvement - something done for the interest of my girl and those who seriously go school to learn something (place them in the same class), I'll agree to daily class... RC wants to get better govt funding when more PPMD students attend daily class. I stick to only taking 3 days, 2 days a week even better but RC said no.... lesser govt funding for RC.

If my girl must be in RC, my helper must be there, cannot disappear, 5 -10 mins toilet break is fine.
Yes, I'm a very protective mummy. She may have special needs but still my 宝贝, see her hurt or being bullied, I'll get heartache.

Really looks like everywhere is e same. Be it our child is special kid or not. We, parents want a gd learning environment for them. I can feel u r really very fare up wif RC. E organisation dun put children's interest in e 1st place. They only wan to get more subsidy fr govt. Our poor children suffer. My centre aso, if we did not complain. The sch will cont'd to let e teacher who is not well to conduct class. So worry of spreading e germs to our kid.

Angelmum

Really looks like everywhere is e same. Be it our child is special kid or not. We, parents want a gd learning environment for them. I can feel u r really very fare up wif RC. E organisation dun put children's interest in e 1st place. They only wan to get more subsidy fr govt. Our poor children suffer. My centre aso, if we did not complain. The sch will cont'd to let e teacher who is not well to conduct class. So worry of spreading e germs to our kid.

Which centre your child attending?

Can only say, don't pin your hopes on special school. Those cater for mainstream still not that bad because that need to show result. Mine just go school play and kill time, no score card, no hard targets to hit .... really hope govt can just build a daycare cum playcentre.

Whenever I email feedback, those govt/grassroots people would direct me to CEL or student care, no matter how hard I tried to explain my child caught in the center, not high functioning enough to qualifty for student care, too old for childcare so got nowhere to go, except rely on domestic helper .... they don't even bother to read and hear (come to my house with blocked ears) what I'm facing, how to get suitable help from govt?

If they want to seal our fate (cast us aside), just give me a daycare centre near my place (of course with govt subsidy, not too X), that's all I ask in order to concentrate on my work! Wish I can write a 2013 new year resolution, 1) fire my FDW 2) govt provide a full daycare cum playground

Mine attending MORAL EIPIC-Yew Tee. B4 tat i actually assign to Woodlands. Itchy backside, tinking new centre shd have newer facilities & ever since PT left cant find any suitable candidates + planning for 2nd one [till now dun have :( ] traveling down fr Jurong is far too. Transfer lor. Nearly fainted. No timetable, no schedule. Dun know wat time is snack time, circle time, etc. Everything 'open' time. Dun know when therapist is seeing my girl. Totally diff fr MORAL-Woodlands. Teacher actually asked me to stay outside while current one stay in. Woodlands teaches them like ABCs, numberings thru songs or art. Actually is quite alright. Tinking same centre but diff locations shd not be so bad. Who knows! My greatest mistake!! I ever tot of approaching to govt but so many things in mind. Lately govt is looking @ special kids' needs. No help? I was tinking of 'shooting' during e election. Can we write to PM Lee directly?