Feel pain on one of my breast during breastfeeding. Need help and advice!

eileen

Hi

I'm a first time mum and would appreciate mummy's who breastfeed advice.

My girl is on FULL BF and since i have too much milk supply i need to pump almost every 2 hourly and if dun pump my breast feel hard and painful.

Now i can feel a small lump n when pressed it feel so painful. I'm not sure if this is engorgement or is my milk dust been blocked.

Can any mummy here advice me on how should i get rid of the pain or this lump... my CL's suggest me to see a doc's if the pain or lump still there as it's may not be good...should i go see a doc.

Thanks

-|MiN|-

Are you having any fever yet? Is that area red/swollen? Sounds like a blocked duct but must treat asap else wait develop into mastitis. Suggest you call up a lactation consultant and she can help you remove the blockage. You can call Mrs Wong in Thomson Medical. Meanwhile, try using very hot towel and massage that are, c if you can unblock it on your own.

eileen

I dun've fever. I tried using hot towel it feel much better but still feel slight pain when pressed but dun feel the 'lump' there...hope it will get better. Nipples feel so sore :-(

Thanks Min....

-|MiN|-

No prob, keep massaging with hot towel, hopefully the pain goes off since the lump goes off :)If it comes back think better contact LC.

rumble bee

You might wanna see a doc - I have blocked ducts on a few occasions without fever. U need antibiotics if you have blocked ducts. Take care !

Pink daisy

I dun've fever. I tried using hot towel it feel much better but still feel slight pain when pressed but dun feel the 'lump' there...hope it will get better. Nipples feel so sore :-(

Thanks Min....
I think you need to pump out regularly as well. When I was at your stage the amt of milk that I pump out and throw is more than my bb drink.
I was also suffering from engorgement and hard lumps here and there.
My advice is to emptied both boobies regularly, let ur bb drink fully, then emptied both boobies with pump. The pump helps to regulate the milk flow.
Hope you're okay, breastfeeding does take courage and perseverance, the later is most important :tlaugh:

Last edited:

eileen

I have seen a doc and was given antibiotics and also the LC who gave me massage said it's cos of blocked ducts. The massage was so painful it really a test of endurance.

Pink daisy... it really take a lot of preservance for breastfeeding n i'm on the verge of giving it up but feel so bad as everyone seem to discourage me from doing that :-(

Thanks all for advice n sharing..

Pink daisy

Patient...patient...
I know it's a helluva unnerving how a creature that small can cause us a lot of troubles ;)

That's why i think that you should empty your boobies after each feeding. But you should also observe ur bb feeding pattern.
E.g. mine is like barracuda types, when he's hungry, he'll get down to business n suck like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes he managed to emptied both (so no need to use pumps), but other times only 1 n a half. So in this case you emptied the other half one (get what i mean?).

If yours like to feed bit by bits, try to regulate every (first try) 2 hours, let bb drink until he/she done, pump the rest and keep in bottles. Next try every 3 hours, usually when mine's a sleep I'll still be 'waking him up' to give his milk when the 3hrs lapse due (either latch-on or from bottles). This way his meal are more patterning and our milk flow regulated. Soon after you get used to it you won't need the pump (or bottles anymore if you're latching on all the time) unless for storing purpose.

Well, I hope you'll manage..good luck!