few days old baby not hungry?

beepbeep

need some advice here .... i have a weird problem.... ok, my baby girl was born on 18th/oct.... just a few days old and when in hospital, my wife tried her best to breast feed..so, we choose total breast feed and for all 3days stay in hospital, baby only on breast feed and no supplement although my wife has no milk yet... but the weird thing is the baby wont cry much when in hospital and all the nurses there said it's ok, and encourage my wife to continue breastfeed at home...

ok... to cut story short, my wife until today still no milk, so we feed baby with formula and gosh,,.. the last feeding was 10am this morning (just 40ml) and until now, 5pm, she still sleeping... we tried to wake her up for feeding but she sleep so soundly, she just wont wake up.... baby can hold so long without milk? my first son will auotmatically cry for milk in 2-3hrs time but this little princess seems like on diet... mummy a bit concern now... never heard before a few days old infant dont need milk for 7+hrs...... any mummy has similar experience to share....???..

xiaodaisy

my 2 boys at newborn time had longer feeding time den other babies which is like 2 - 3hrs , usually they can last 4 - 5 hrs and wont be crying at all , so only when i see them moving den i start to make milk to feed them , during nite time , they will sleep thro the night like 6 hrs - 8hrs but usually if the time is too long and before even they are sleeping , i will still feed them ..

xiaodaisy

it might be good if u can bring baby to let PD take a look if ur wife still worry =)

for me , i just feel my babies are understanding to me , letting me rest more while they wanted to ease my stress ..

ast0212

Some babies are under-demanding where you'll have to offer the breast to them then they will eat, otherwise they won't make any noise.

Continue to look for hunger cues like sucking hands, rooting etc because crying is often the last sign of hunger.. Unless your baby is like my son where he didn't show any signs until he was very hungry then scream his head off! Then I realised he is undemanding and doesn't ask for breastfeeds so I've been offering him breastfeeds the majority of feeds for 18 months. He is also a skinny boy so at one stage I was offering him feeds every 1.5-2 hours and he took all of them.

All the best to you and your wife :)

reika12

Im also experiencing that situation too, but they say that it is normal.. i just don't really know if its true .