Glucose test

miracle25

have anyone did the glucose test? how do they do it? I saw from some website it says we''ll be given to drink a very sweet syrup and will be tested awhile later for the sugar level..

I'll be going for mine this Sat and was told to fast from Friday night.. wat time do I have to stop eating? can drink plain water? anyone can advice?

mosqeetoh

Hi miracle25

u can start fasting at midnight if ur test is scheduled the next morning. no water as well. they'll take ur blood sample before ur given a sweet syrup to drink. after an hr or so they'll take a second blood sample. Nothing to worry abt! but the syrup is really really sweet!! drink slowly.

miracle25

Hi miracle25

you can start fasting at midnight if your test is scheduled the next morning. no water as well. they'll take your blood sample before your given a sweet syrup to drink. after an hr or so they'll take a second blood sample. Nothing to worry about! but the syrup is really really sweet!! drink slowly.
hi mosqeetoh, the nurse told me on my last visit say the whole test will take about 2-3 hours at least.. does it include viewing of the report on the same day? how much did u pay for the test?

Hi, i went for the glucose test last week. was told to fast from 12midnite. had the first blood test at 9.15am. drank the glucose drink, then another blood test 2 hours later. report not out on the same day. was told by my gynae that they'll call if they are any issues with the blood test. so far no calls so hoping it's all good :)

mosqeetoh

I dun think it will last that long! report wont be out on the same day. they'll inform if any problem otherwise ur safe :D Cant recall how much, depends on the hospital ur going to.

feathers

I just went for my test, start fasting from 12midnite, no food no drinks and nurse tell me no plain water also. If thirsty I think can just rinse the mouth? Sleep early is the best way for time to pass. Hee!!

The syrup will be given after they draw your blood the first round. I don't find the syrup very sweet but I find it kinda "corrosive" and irritates my throat. I have that eeky feeling all day!! After two hours, go back and they'll draw your blood again. You are free to go eat, bring someone with you k? I am usually ok not eating and wouldn't feel giddy or anything but after I drank the syrup, I felt giddy and a little nauseated. I believe nausea is a side effect of the syrup. My test result come back the next day, I am not sure if other clinics can produce the result same day.

miracle25

hi feathers, yes I agree the syrup is abit corrosive and irritates my throat and not so sweet as I thought it would be.. I was told not to smoke or eat during that 2 hours.. during tat 2 hours, I visited my gynae for my usual check up and continue waiting until the stipulated time I was told by the lab assistant to go back for the 2nd blood and urine test..

aft tat, I was told to sit and wait for the report.. the report was out like after 30 mins later.. the glucose test costs $40... and I passed the test.. :)

poohie

Juz to ask at how many weeks u will be asked to take e test? Cos I'm currently 27weeks n no news of such test informed.

Usually when I go for my gynae appt I will be asked to do a urine test using e strip. Could it be if that strip show I'm OK I'm exempt frm taking e test?

pixie

I had to do my urine test with the strip in each of my visit to the gynae. If my memory still serves me well, I believe the glucose test were taken when I was in my 28-30 weeks pregnancy. This is mandatory.

Last edited:

tealeaf

I did glucose test when I am at my 12 weeks pregnant. The reason was, during the urine test using the test strip, it's found that my glucose was quite high.

ks76mummy

Hi poohie,

My gynae told me glucose test is only for some mummies with high risk of gestational diabetes so not everyone needs to go for one. Me didn't need to take one...I think normally when you are having twins or have family history or weight issues etc, then the risks are higher so they will send you for the test...the weekly urine test is to measure your 'risk' in a way. But best to check with your gynae as different doctors might have different views..Some might make it a mandatory test for their patients...:)

tealeaf

I don't know why my glucose is high even though my weight is normal towards underweight and no family history. But if you're ok during urine test, I don't think you need to take the glucose test.

poohie

Thanks for e info. My sis didn't take any during her pregnancy too. But one of my frd did bcos she told e doc one of her family members has diabetes but find out later which is wrong info...

Smurfete

I have glucose strips and lancets (sits bayer's machine) selling cheap. Left with >>> 60% because my OGTT turns out to be fake positive. Suitable for those who are nearing their 3rd trimester and don't need a full box. If keen, pls email happymonkey33@hotmail.com

Attachments