Hair cut for highly anxious toddler

Cookies123

Hi mummies

would like to know where you all bring your children for hair cut? My son who is highly anxious and really scare of hair cut but I found a salon that willing cut for him. He went there a few times to cut , crying thru out but still able to cut it.
Today we passby dat salon, a few hairdresser came out and pretend to catch him. He run like mad and went hme cry for half an hour. I know I nd to look for alternative now.

Do you all have any recommendation in north area or tips how to cut his hair at hme.He is now terrified refuse to go out of the hse.

thanks a lot

Angelmum

i cut for my girl :tbounce::ttongue: If she moves too much, I'll break into part 1 and part 2, different days... stay home, never mind, she won't mind :001_302:
When my son was young, I bought a set of hair cutting gear - with different 'teeth'. That time, was bath time cum barber time.
When u cut, be gentle, don't let the 'teeth bite'/pull his hair (if too long, use scissors to trim). Use the 'teeth' to shape. No 'teeth' means 'monk style'. Don't use too long, some hair cutting equipment are warm and by touching his scalp, he may be angry.

For my girl, was either TV time or bath time.... till-date. Haven't tried taking her out to be serviced by the professionals.

I forgot where I saw kid salon .... Suntec or United Square :confused::confused:

Last edited:

Cookies123

i cut for my girl :tbounce::ttongue: If she moves too much, I'll break into part 1 and part 2, different days... stay home, never mind, she won't mind :001_302:
When my son was young, I bought a set of hair cutting gear - with different 'teeth'. That time, was bath time cum barber time.
When u cut, be gentle, don't let the 'teeth bite'/pull his hair (if too long, use scissors to trim). Use the 'teeth' to shape. No 'teeth' means 'monk style'. Don't use too long, some hair cutting equipment are warm and by touching his scalp, he may be angry.

For my girl, was either TV time or bath time.... till-date. Haven't tried taking her out to be serviced by the professionals.

I forgot where I saw kid salon .... Suntec or United Square :confused::confused:

Hi angelmum

thanks for information. :)
can I know where you buy those hair cutting gears?

KidsMonde

I faced the same problem in the past. I cut my child's hair myself, scissors is fine. My child was even thrown out by an old barber and left the shop with his hair cropped the wrong way
I had to continue where he stopped at home. Now he is better and I no longer cut his hair

Cookies123

Ya.. We're ask to leave the salon when my son keep screaming n crying non stop. No choice for safety the person don't dare to cut.
now I have started to trim his hair using scissor at hme but not try clipper. I'm not sure how to use that to cut and my son really afraid of that.

KidsMonde

I think our children are sensitive to the sound and hair falling all over the neck. As my son grew and was more able to tell me why he was afraid, the discomfort around the neck made him hated haircut too. I bought clipper too so that he can get used to the sound. I used it since he was 2 until it broke down when he was 6. I started to bring him to the$10 cut and he allows them to cut his hair and he is okay with the clippers now. The neurofeedback training helped improve his anxiety issues.

Nana2306

My hubby cuts my son's hair since he was born. Now he's 2.5 yrs old. We distract him with cartoon vids, sing along session or even toys. Bought the hair shaver from babyspa for less than $80. Supposedly to haf lesser noise and vibrations compared to adult hair shaver. I knw there's also a comb dat comes with blade. Meant for trimming/cutting kids' hair. Not sure how effective that is.

Angelmum

Finding a hairdresser who can get your child to sit still during a haircut may be unimaginable, but it's possible. Japanese hair-salon chain QB House has been offering a hair-cutting service specially for children at VivoCity since April.

Called QB House Kids, it has iPads to keep children occupied as they are having their hair snipped. Parents can set aside their fears of having to wrestle their active children into a seat and getting them to stay on it, as the cartoons shown on the tablets are likely to do the trick.

The VivoCity outlet has five cutting stations, three of which are slightly larger private booths to accommodate a seating area for parents. Parents can also get a haircut at the same time as their children.

A haircut for a child costs $20 at a private booth. A normal haircut for both adults and children costs $12.

kid hair cut.jpg