[[ How many times? ]]

maichiang

Hi lovely mummies, how many times do u all latch on during the day n night resectively?

till when did you have to keep waking up to feed your babies? i am TBF and i am still waking up at least 5times to feed baby at night..when did night feeds stop for u all? i do give cereal b4 sleeping bt he will still latch on for a while b4 dozing off..

btw mi boi is going on to 6mnths..and do u all take supplements to maintain the supply? how many? frequency? thks so much=D

Amulet

At 6 months my girl was latching almost every 2hrly-2.5hrly.. Nighttime she can sleep through for ard 4-5hrs thus latching ard 2-3 times at night..

Maybe u can try to latch Ur boy as much as possible during daytime/ late evening?

How is his weight gain? Good? Try to give him more hindmilk coz those are fattier n make him feel full for longer..

I take green papaya fish soup n salmon sashimi from time to time to boost my milk supply.. Tried fenugreek.. When it stop working for me, I take Domperidone.. Quite effective on me..

maichiang

his weight is very good,ahahah...5th mnth he was abt 9.7kg..now am sure it well over 10kg..the night feeds are really taking a toll on mi..

maybe i haf too much foremilk,how to amend this?=S

domperidone has side effects rite? not worried abt mi supply, was jz wondering if its normal to haf so many night feeds or mi boi is jz plain greedy..ehehe..thks dear!

ast0212

It really is normal for babies to wake up frequently through the night for milk. Some more frequently than others because they love their mummy's milk so much!

Around 6 months I was unreasonably worried my son was not gaining enough weight so I was latching him on very frequently during the day (every 1-1.5 hours) and just demand fed at night, so around 2 feeds during the night. Only at around 12 months he was weaned off night feeds because I wanted my period back to fall pregnant.

Your son seems to be growing so well! Heavier than my son who is 15 months old!! heheh... I don't think your son is getting too much foremilk if he is gaining weight so well.

ast0212

Oh and I used to take fenugreek and ate lots of oats for breakfast. Made lactation muffins to try to increase my supply...and kept latching on till I realised I didn't need to increase my supply. My boy was just small. All that worrying for nothing :(

maichiang

Oh and I used to take fenugreek and ate lots of oats for breakfast. Made lactation muffins to try to increase my supply...and kept latching on till I realised I didn't need to increase my supply. My boy was just small. All that worrying for nothing :(
i think for mi boi,its comfort feeding at night..bt i am really so tired, was jz wondering when i would get mi full night sleep..mi boi wakes up like min 5 times!! haix..

i guess since we cant see hw much our babies are takin in, so we worry..i was pretty much the same..kept taking weight daily!!!! till the 3rd mnth check in clinic..the doc was like hw much u give ur boi? i was like TBF n den he kept quiet..bt after a while he told mi to try nt to latch on so frequently,ehehe..
den i wasnt satisified till i saw tt he was at the 97% mark..

bt i feel tt maybe too big isnt gd as well,thou its a boost to TBF mothers..i feel tt his 'beer belly' is a hindrance to him achieving his milestones marks..like turning over,he used to cry cz maybe he was uncomfortable on his tummy(i nearly took him A&E for tt,ahahah!) bt he doesnt cry nowadays..n when he sits(wid support) he luks so uncomfortable yet again..n he doesnt move much..

i also take fenugreek bt i want to stop takin it thou i am afraid tt mi supply will drop..i hope to stop it soon..so are u preggy nw again? congrats if u are=D

ast0212

i think for mi boi,its comfort feeding at night..bt i am really so tired, was jz wondering when i would get mi full night sleep..mi boi wakes up like min 5 times!! haix..

i guess since we cant see hw much our babies are takin in, so we worry..i was pretty much the same..kept taking weight daily!!!! till the 3rd mnth check in clinic..the doc was like hw much u give ur boi? i was like TBF n den he kept quiet..bt after a while he told mi to try nt to latch on so frequently,ehehe..
den i wasnt satisified till i saw tt he was at the 97% mark..

bt i feel tt maybe too big isnt gd as well,thou its a boost to TBF mothers..i feel tt his 'beer belly' is a hindrance to him achieving his milestones marks..like turning over,he used to cry cz maybe he was uncomfortable on his tummy(i nearly took him A&E for tt,ahahah!) bt he doesnt cry nowadays..n when he sits(wid support) he luks so uncomfortable yet again..n he doesnt move much..

i also take fenugreek bt i want to stop takin it thou i am afraid tt mi supply will drop..i hope to stop it soon..so are u preggy nw again? congrats if u are=D
Yes I am pregnant! Thanks!!

It's alright, your boy sounds healthy! Every baby is different and achieve milestones at different rates. Once he starts being mobile he will burn more calories and he may slim down a bit as he grows. Anywhere on the growth chart is healthy :) My boy was on the 3rd% for a while and the doctor made me worry! She told me to supplement with formula, but the Breastfeeding Association assured me that TBF 3% babies are as healthy as TBF 97%. He is alert, content and achieving milestones and that's all that matters. They told me to relax because stress affects supply! Anyway, I didn't give him formula after realising how healthy he is and till now he has never gotten sick.

If you want to drop some night feeds maybe you could ask your other half to settle baby when he wakes up? Because daddies don't smell like milk. It may take longer to settle baby though because when a baby breastfeeds the hormone (CCK) is released which helps baby and mummy to go back to sleep. Naturally it does get better. I met a lady who was breastfeeding 2 hourly at night till her son was 16 months, then it started to get better after that! But let's hope it doesn't take that long for your boy!

If you're feeding on demand and your boy is growing well, there's no real need to take fenugreek. Even if your supply seems to drop when you stop taking fenugreek your baby will determine how much milk he wants and your breasts will make milk according to his needs. Babies and breasts are smart things! hehehe :) My supply has definitely dropped now that I am pregnant but my son is 15 months so there's no real need to try to increase supply and he's not too bothered by it. I just feel sad I don't have much milky goodness for him :(

I hope it does get better for you with the night feeds so you can get more much needed sleep!

maichiang

congrats dear!!!! 1 more precious happiness on the way!

indeed..tts hw pacify miself..hope he will lose his 'lazy' attitude b4 he starts going sch and all..

oh man!!! i hope mine is not the same case as that lady,poor her

shall slowly stop taking fenugreek..bt i still cant help feeling so insecured wen mi breasts feel soft at times,so i will pop the pills..thou its onli like 1 pill twice a dae..& secured when its full [-_-]

so you are still bf?? i though i read sumwhere tt bf whilst pregnant is not gd for baby or something?

ast0212

congrats dear!!!! 1 more precious happiness on the way!

indeed..tts hw pacify miself..hope he will lose his 'lazy' attitude before he starts going sch and all..

oh man!!! i hope mine is not the same case as that lady,poor her

shall slowly stop taking fenugreek..bt i still cant help feeling so insecured wen mi breasts feel soft at times,so i will pop the pills..thou its onli like 1 pill twice a dae..& secured when its full [-_-]

so you are still bf?? i though i read sumwhere that bf whilst pregnant is not good for baby or something?
Thanks Maichiang!!

Breastfeeding during pregnancy is safe because the amount of oxytocin that is released is not enough to cause contractions. Only if a woman has had a history of miscarriages or other complications, then best to stop :)

It's normal for breasts to feel soft once your supply has stabilised, usually around 4 months your breasts know how much milk to make to suit your baby's needs, hence the softness. It's sad but many women stop at this point thinking they don't have enough milk for bubs but it's quite the opposite! Trust your breasts hehehe :001_302:

maichiang

Thanks Maichiang!!

Breastfeeding during pregnancy is safe because the amount of oxytocin that is released is not enough to cause contractions. Only if a woman has had a history of miscarriages or other complications, then best to stop :)

It's normal for breasts to feel soft once your supply has stabilised, usually around 4 months your breasts know how much milk to make to suit your baby's needs, hence the softness. It's sad but many women stop at this point thinking they don't have enough milk for bubs but it's quite the opposite! Trust your breasts hehehe :001_302:
i used to feel that way too! so insecured and all when mi breast was soft..gald that i was 'stubborn',eheheh..and i noe of a friend who felt the same and is giving 50-50 to her boi..i've reduced to takin jz 1 pill per day..hope to stop it soon..

enjoy ur pregnancy and wishing u all the best for the present n future..take care dear!=D

lyra

Hi, mummies. What Is forefeed n hindfeed? And there's such thing as lactation muffin? Fenugreek also seem to b very impt! Most mummies r taking it. Is it recommended n prescribed by gynae?

maichiang

Hi, mummies. What Is forefeed n hindfeed? And there's such thing as lactation muffin? Fenugreek also seem to b very impt! Most mummies r taking it. Is it recommended n prescribed by gynae?
foremilk is the milk that is 'transparent' and 'watery'..this is apparently the onli 'water' that babies under 6mnths need..it quench their thirst..hindmilk is the 'thicker' and 'white' milk that fulfills their hunger..

i've heard of ple who tried it bt didnt work for them..i'm not realli sure if it worked for mi anot cz i started takin it after mi supply was enuff for mi boi..i took it onli to increase mi supply..diff bodies diff results..depends on gynae,i asked mine when i was very insecured abt mi supply..bt c said to leave it to mi body to decide when n hw much it wana produce..bt wid baby latching on,they are the 'decider'..

ast0212

Thanks for your well wishes Maichiang! All the best to you and your boy too...it will get better! :001_302:

Lyra, lactation muffins are a little something I invented hahaha... it's made with some galactalogues such as brewers yeast, linseed meal and oats made into a muffin. I found it helps for a bit of a boost...and it's healthy too.

Fenugreek is used to help boost milk supply, but as Maichiang said, it works for some people. If your baby is getting enough milk (wetting enough nappies, putting on some weight over time, is happy and content after most feeds), then there's no need to take it. The best way to boost milk supply is to feed feed feed! :001_302: Tiring but it definitely works because the more milk your baby drinks, the more milk you will make.