How to introduce semi-solids?

diymummy

Dear mommies,

What I have decided to do is to give my girl her usual milk feeds but after her lunch feed, I will give her some cereal mixed with EBM - maybe a teaspoon.

I have just given her some sweet potato puree yesterday - about a tablespoon, after a week of white rice cereal. Is it too soon?

My mother in law has also started giving baby water, after she wakes up from nap or after her meal. Is this alright?
Sounds like you've got everything together now. :) Well done.

Usually for every new food, I would observe the 4-day rule to rule out allergies coz I have an allergic baby.

Mummy to Baby V

Introducing Solid Foods to Your Baby |

- Recent research: Introducing solid food before 6 months has no significant advantage to baby, yet carries possible disadvantages. Therefore I waited till about 6+ months.

- Introduce one new food at a time

- Be aware of allergenic foods such as soy, dairy, eggs, tomatoes, wheat, etc., which should be introduced later (Allergy reactions could be from mild to serious.)

- I always let my boy drink some water (max 1oz) after meals to rinse his mouth a little. Take this chance to do cup-training by introducing a sippy cup or open cup.
More about our cup-training experiences at my blog|
(Babies need to be weaned off the bottle someday.)
- After taking solid food, constipation is a common concern, ESP among formula-fed babies. Therefore, offer fruits such as steamed pear during meals. (Again, remember the allergy test.)

paperger85

Sounds like you've got everything together now. :) Well done.

Usually for every new food, I would observe the 4-day rule to rule out allergies coz I have an allergic baby.
Thanks!

I am also very worried about my girl having allergies coz my hubby is asthmatic and has allergies to seafood.

paperger85

When my girl was on the white rice cereal, the skin on her neck broke out in rashes when the cereal dropped on her neck. Is this considered allergic or is this a normal reaction?

diymummy

If you don't clean it off, it will have rashes much like milk rash.

Usually an allergic rash will affect quite a big area, not just localised. Like when my boy was allergic to egg, his back would all be rashes.

apollo

When my girl was on the white rice cereal, the skin on her neck broke out in rashes when the cereal dropped on her neck. Is this considered allergic or is this a normal reaction?
did u clean up her neck for her using wet hanky right aft the feed? cos sometimes my hubby didnt use wet hanky, he used normal tissue to cleran den ds will have light rashes too.

paperger85

My mother in law used a wet hanky to clean it off immediately after it dropped on her neck but it still broke out in a rash and didn't clear off until 3 days later...

Mummy to Baby V

My mother in law used a wet hanky to clean it off immediately after it dropped on her neck but it still broke out in a rash and didn't clear off until 3 days later...
The area around my son's mouth broke into a red rash immediately when he tried tofu at about 11 months old. We suspected soy allergy and my home-visit nurse advised us to try soy again only after a few months. Since I'm breasfeeding him, I am avoiding soy in the meantime.

You may wish to check the ingredients listed on the box of the rice cereal. Some cereal has added milk, which should be avoided for some babies. Appropriate first cereals are those with as few ingredients as possible.

apollo

either is heat rash (cos recently weather is v hot, if not is really allergy), if u suspect is allergy, u might wan to stop tt cereal 1st?

tt time we fed ds some bread and his cheek area had some rashes. we tot is heat rash but pd said is food allergy.

paperger85

oh dear....that means i have to bring darling girl to the pd to have it checked? hmm...i'll be giving her the cereal again tomorrow - after the 4 days for her sweet potato. if it happens again then i'll bring her straight to the pd.

apollo

oh dear....that means i have to bring darling girl to the pediatrician to have it checked? hmm...i'll be giving her the cereal again tomorrow - after the 4 days for her sweet potato. if it happens again then i'll bring her straight to the pediatrician.
actu if her rashes is still bearable, is okay not to see a pd. u try to stop the cereal 1st and see if her rashes will be better. tt time pd checked on him cos he got no appetite and he 'happened' to see his rashes. we did not purposely bring him down to check on the rashes also =P