How to make baby eat

annie

this sounds like snowbear's alicia lol.my girl was ok all along with mixed up food and she eats alot when she was before 1 yr old. i read that decreasing in appetite after 1yr old is normal as their growth rate slows down as well but i was rather puzzled.. we adults do not grow much as well but we eat much more than them isnt it? its cos we need more food as we burn more calories but isnt toddler the same? the got older and more mobile n burn more calories thus they should need more food as they grow and not less. am i wrong? just feel the information that i read online is kind of strange lol.

anyway i tried giving her the food seperately but she dosent seem to like it. these few days she has started eating again (phew!). though she dosent clear her bowl, she only left 1-3mouth per meal in the bowl. she has been eting well for 4 days.. hopefully it continues.

i seem to hear a lot of baby girls who are either picky or dosent eat much. my mum says all my sisters including me dosent eat much when we are younger too..wonder if its normal that girls are generally more pickier and eat lesser lol

the box of the jing feng san says it can increase appetite. but i didnt give it to her since she is eating well now. im living in tokyo n so far i have not seen any sinseh here thus cant seek medical advise..

boggie

Never attemp to try giving my girl medicine to open her appetite. Cos eventually she will be over eating and hard to stop.

I only try to decorate the food such as making happy face or mickey mouse out of rice or porridge.

And had told her if she failed to finish her meal she will not get wat she want such as biscuit or sweet

camom

Oops sorry, didn't realise you stay in Japan. There are natural appetite boosters like hawthorne (san ja) that you might want to try. If there are chinese herbal stores near you, u can buy the raw form to cook soup with.

annie

there are no chinese shops here.. hehe

boggie, how old is your child? i suppose that only works for older bb? mine is only 14mths..

ping26

here's how my mum bribes/cajoles my 4-year-old niece

a) fantastic dessert (or unhealthy snack) or trip to playground after meals
b) friendly competition -
younger niece is a glutton, so older niece will eat more if they share the same bowl
c) asking her what she wants
(I think it's best to let child choose fr 3-5 dish menu)
d) yes, she also uses "jing feng san" at times
e) replace meal with chocolate cake! (at least some calorie intake:embarrassed:)

what's the interval btw milk feeds and mealtimes?
Small eaters can't eat much after drinking 6 oz milk.
(my niece is never hungry cos she prefers to drink milk & she often drinks 1-2 hr before mealtimes. haiz...)

Or maybe she's teething (molars)? my girl's appetite has gone haywire cos she's having intensive teething now. 3 teeth in 1 month.

My friend will schedule a 30-min session at the playground abt 1.5 hr before lunch to work up an appetite.

hope it helps!

every mama has a different way of coping with picky eaters.

Last edited:

Ting

annie, hv u tried feeding her more meals but in smaller portions??
haha, pin is not a picky eater, she eats everything.
but recently, she chooses her food. like if i give her a ham n cheese sandwich, she will finish the ham n cheese then slowly munch on the bread, finish half n tell me she is full.
hahahaha~
n pin is definately a BIG eater! :D

annie

ting, so good that pin is a big eater n not picky! jumpy is not really picky as well but then i just dunno y that time she dun eat watever i cook for 3 weeks plus n lost so much weight till i was so worried.. now she is eating ok and amazingly, she gained back her weight in just 1 week +! she lost 600g in the 3 weeks n got it back just in 1 week! lol.

She is eating quite well recently. i didnt try giving her small portion cos she eats well n almost clear her bowl every meal (left 1-3mouth usually). phew~ she seems to prefer porridge recently so i cook porridge for all her meals...sometimes she eat a bit then keep shaking head so i got to distract her by giving her another spoon to play with her food while i feed n that usually works for at least 3-4 mouth of food lol. or switch on dvd for her to watch while i feed her... if not she will ran around the place.. tiring to chase her so got to keep her entertain to stay put at one place haha

golimama

The trick to get toddlers to eat is presentation. When I feed mango to my daughter, I cut it into cubes and use those cute animal picks (from Daiso) to make the meal exciting. It really works! She can finish one whole bowl, where else previously, she would only take one or two bites and don't want anymore.

annie

ive read of that too but i just thought my girl is too young to appreciate these. how ld is your girl btw? for older toddler, i agree, to make meals looks attractive sometimes is impt.