Listening to Old Wives' Tales from parents and parents in law

momi

for the part of no sewing, cutting etc on the bed, i choose to believe. it might end up as a coincidence but i dont want to blame myself for the rest of my life if anything happened. i would rather play it safe. anyway sewing on the bed is dangerous too, what if u drop a needle n didnt know? it might poke u when u slp. so for me, all these cutting and sewing, i will just do at the table. safe and easy to pack up.
also, i have heard of true stories that hv happened, so i believed. my mum's friend sewed the crotch area of her husband's trousers on the bed, and when her baby girl was born, she didnt hv a vagina hole.. maybe it was a coincidence? but then, who knows?
from what my mum told me, the chinese believe that when a woman is preg, there is a 胎神, and sometimes when u do XX thing then the timing might clash with the 胎神, and thats why the thing will kena on the baby. its up to each n every individual to believe, but some things, u shldnt joke and laugh about it when it comes to religion. i believe that some old wives tales might hv some truth in it as some ppl might hv experienced it, while others, were made up along the way. to be believe or not, it is up to u.
Oops that is sad :( the worse is the mum will forever be guilty that her actions led to any of these deformities in her babies.
Ok I really shouldn't laugh about the makeup thing in that case, never heard of such misfortunes but there really might be some.

apollo

ya sometimes is just coincidence but i'm sure the mother will bl;ame herself (if anything really happens) and guilty for the rest of the life.

Ting

Oops that is sad :( the worse is the mum will forever be guilty that her actions led to any of these deformities in her babies.
Ok I really shouldn't laugh about the makeup thing in that case, never heard of such misfortunes but there really might be some.
yes, sometimes it is just a coincidence, and if anything happened, u might just think: if i didnt do this n that, maybe it wont happen?
n if it does happen even u nvr do anything, then i will take it as destined.
i nvr heard abt the MU thing b4 either, but i only know that when u r preg, dont laugh or speak ill of other ppl like: why his ears so big? one eye big n small? crooked mouth? all those things, as it will befall upon ur own child.

Carisella

sometimes things are just inevitable. My hubby has been suffering with a bad chair for months.. we had wanted to go get one last year but in the end put it off due to some reasons that i forgot.. Then last week, we went to ikea to get a chair for him and also shelves for the upper deck table to make more space and those plastic boxes to keep all my junk to make space for baby's clothes in the wardrobe.

I was screwing, nailing, packing, cleaning with my hubby as he can't possibly do all alone and due to space constraint in the house and stuff.. i also cut my nails on the bed, take my insulin on the bed, prick my finger on the bed.. everything on the bed.. but of cos when i do all these I'll "inform" my baby first :D

I heard of a lot of old wive's tale also like cannot eat beef else baby come out got niu pi qi (bull's temper?) cannot eat lamb (cos will get seizure <-- this one pass down since my granny days), cannot shift bed (cos will hurt tiok baby's limp) but i still shift.. not the big shift but just push back into position, every morning wake up dunno why the bed will slanted, maybe night before shake too much *shrugs*, oh!! cannot eat sotong or rub belly too much (cord will wrap ard baby's neck - this one damn rubbish!! but i kenna scared until i dare not eat sotong =.=)!!

ling.er

sometimes things are just inevitable. My hubby has been suffering with a bad chair for months.. we had wanted to go get one last year but in the end put it off due to some reasons that i forgot.. Then last week, we went to ikea to get a chair for him and also shelves for the upper deck table to make more space and those plastic boxes to keep all my junk to make space for baby's clothes in the wardrobe.

I was screwing, nailing, packing, cleaning with my hubby as he can't possibly do all alone and due to space constraint in the house and stuff.. i also cut my nails on the bed, take my insulin on the bed, prick my finger on the bed.. everything on the bed.. but of cos when i do all these I'll "inform" my baby first :D

I heard of a lot of old wive's tale also like cannot eat beef else baby come out got niu pi qi (bull's temper?) cannot eat lamb (cos will get seizure <-- this one pass down since my granny days), cannot shift bed (cos will hurt tiok baby's limp) but i still shift.. not the big shift but just push back into position, every morning wake up dunno why the bed will slanted, maybe night before shake too much *shrugs*, oh!! cannot eat sotong or rub belly too much (cord will wrap ard baby's neck - this one damn rubbish!! but i kenna scared until i dare not eat sotong =.=)!!

Cannot shift bed?? My hubb shift as well.. Nth ah.. But he shift abit only.. if from this end to another end i tink Better not to ba.. As for dun rub tummy cos of the bellycord? Eh i rub also ma.. Sotong i also gt eat lei but nt every time wor..

The make Up thing is i see from a webby wan.. as i also make up when i pregg lei.. Attending Hubb DND .. If nt then Yellow face go meh.. all ppl sure FAINT hahzz

I heard before is not to put bb's shoes on the table before the bb has learnt how to walk coz the bb will take a longer time to learn how to walk. Then cannot praise newborn bb if not they will become the opp. Lol!!

I dun really believe la and when I gave birth to my kids my hubby's frens n relatives all said must shave hair, I just told hubby child is mine, I had her in my tummy for 9 mths n I went thru shit delivering her out so y shud I listen to their unproven and silly tales??

It's not easy too when my hubby n his family are overly superstitious, but for me I just listen to those that wun harm or affect my kids in any ways, if it will then forget it, I'll never do it!!

lsy

I heard before is not to put bb's shoes on the table before the bb has learnt how to walk coz the bb will take a longer time to learn how to walk. Then cannot praise newborn bb if not they will become the opp. Lol!!

I dun really believe la and when I gave birth to my kids my hubby's frens n relatives all said must shave hair, I just told hubby child is mine, I had her in my tummy for 9 mths n I went thru shit delivering her out so y shud I listen to their unproven and silly tales??

It's not easy too when my hubby n his family are overly superstitious, but for me I just listen to those that wun harm or affect my kids in any ways, if it will then forget it, I'll never do it!!
About shaving baby hair i heard of 2 reasoning. Firstly baby hair will grow more evenly and fuller. Else u will notice baby hair will be scarce and soft for most toddlers Secondly also heard that baby hair people are not welcome by sacred temples. Only god can tell. If u r not taoism or buddhism perhaps wont be bothered.
Have u all also heard of aunty's road on baby's hair? Baby who have an aunt tends to have the back of their head a band like stripe with lesser hair.

xicloudix

About shaving baby hair i heard of 2 reasoning. Firstly baby hair will grow more evenly and fuller. Else u will notice baby hair will be scarce and soft for most toddlers Secondly also heard that baby hair people are not welcome by sacred temples. Only god can tell. If u r not taoism or buddhism perhaps wont be bothered.
Have u all also heard of aunty's road on baby's hair? Baby who have an aunt tends to have the back of their head a band like stripe with lesser hair.
yes hear of "aunty's road" my niece have it... happen after her hair was shaved after 4mths old or 1 mth old i think.... my sis in law kinda of regret shaving it.... but ok lah now grow back the hair liao... so not necessary shave hair = fuller and more even...

xicloudix

I have a friend, she believes in these, but her husband does not. and moved the bed, nail the wall etc... baby has a limp leg and has to undergo alot of treatment and its very painful.... she kinda blame her husband for it... and relationship went bad...

rub belly = cord around neck???
I like to rub my belly when iwas preggy... n my baby came out cord around neck tightly... lucky manage to loosen it fast... mayb
coincidence ba... haha

but my hubby shift and nail wall during my pregnancy, i would try to avoid seeing it directly.... hide a bit...

Ting

i havent heard of aunty hair b4, n im sure it is not true cos i hv 2 sisters but my child doesnt hv that at all. as for the shaving part, scientifically, it is NOT proven that shaven hair will grow out more evenly and by fuller, do u mean thicker? the fact here is shaved hair does not = thicker hair.

noelsmum

as for the shaving part, scientifically, it is NOT proven that shaven hair will grow out more evenly and by fuller, do u mean thicker? the fact here is shaved hair does not = thicker hair.
LOL! Ting, that's so true. Like that all the balding uncles will be shaving their heads with hope that their hair will grow back thicker!

Ashbaby

"Aunty hair", aunty = Gugu(Hubby's sis). My son have "aunty hair", but my hubby has no sister only 1 elder brother.

Cannot stand old these old wives tales.

Ting

LOL! Ting, that's so true. Like that all the balding uncles will be shaving their heads with hope that their hair will grow back thicker!
yeah! thats why! the those ppl who hv hair loss prob just hv to shave n regrow their hair! why spend so much on hair treatments? o_O"

Ting

"Aunty hair", aunty = Gugu(Hubby's sis). My son have "aunty hair", but my hubby has no sister only 1 elder brother.

Cannot stand old these old wives tales.
my ex also hv an elder sister, so it doesnt count too! haha~

apollo

My hub has a younger sister but my son dont have the 'aunt hair' so i think it depends on individual kid's hair grow.

Carisella

I have a friend, she believes in these, but her husband does not. and moved the bed, nail the wall etc... baby has a limp leg and has to undergo alot of treatment and its very painful.... she kinda blame her husband for it... and relationship went bad...
rub belly = cord around neck???
I like to rub my belly when i was preggy... n my baby came out cord around neck tightly... lucky manage to loosen it fast... mayb coincidence ba... haha
but my hubby shift and nail wall during my pregnancy, i would try to avoid seeing it directly.... hide a bit...
Cord around neck actually quite common to hear of it nowadays. i believe it's just that baby turn too much.. not some OWT problems.. i find it very difficult to uphold all these OWT :(