Need advice for weaning a 7.5mth-old baby

wynce

My baby is 7.5 mths old now... I started to introduce her with rice cereals when she was 6 mths old. Till now, carrots, banana and potato have been introduced.

HOwever, my biggest problem is she doesnt eat much... everytime, she will open her mouth when I start to feed her. She will then move away from the spoon after a FEW spoons! She will also close her mouth. Worse, she will 'protest' if I continue to feed her.... Why is that so? How come it is so difficult to feed solid foods to a baby.....

Can someone tell me how I can encourage my gal to eat more? Is it because she doesnt like the food? Will she get enough nutrients since she doesnt take in enough solid foods?

One last question... currently I am using Nestle rice cereals... Are there any other baby rice cereals available in the market? Where can I buy?

REally appreciate if someone can advise me... Thanks!

apollo

My baby is 7.5 mths old now... I started to introduce her with rice cereals when she was 6 mths old. Till now, carrots, banana and potato have been introduced.

HOwever, my biggest problem is she doesnt eat much... everytime, she will open her mouth when I start to feed her. She will then move away from the spoon after a FEW spoons! She will also close her mouth. Worse, she will 'protest' if I continue to feed her.... Why is that so? How come it is so difficult to feed solid foods to a baby.....

Can someone tell me how I can encourage my gal to eat more? Is it because she doesnt like the food? Will she get enough nutrients since she doesnt take in enough solid foods?

One last question... currently I am using Nestle rice cereals... Are there any other baby rice cereals available in the market? Where can I buy?

REally appreciate if someone can advise me... Thanks!
u can intro her more varieties. if she eats v lil, den seperate into more meals. u can let her try tofu, peas, avocado, sweet potato... try to change her menu daily. and if she get sick of cereal, make her some porridge. some baby is not interested in cereeal but mayb prefers porridge? =)

wynce

Thanks apollo! But I need to follow the 4-day rule when I introduce new food right?

Making porridge? Hmm... I just found out how to make homemade stock for porridge from the forum recently... other than using silver fish powder, chicken bones, what else can I use for making the stock? Totall have no idea how to cook tasty and nutritious porridge...

apollo

Thanks apollo! But I need to follow the 4-day rule when I introduce new food right?

Making porridge? Hmm... I just found out how to make homemade stock for porridge from the forum recently... other than using silver fish powder, chicken bones, what else can I use for making the stock? Totall have no idea how to cook tasty and nutritious porridge...
yes still hav to follow the 4day rule =)

usually i will use ikan bilis, chk bonee or yellow beans to make stock. but for yellow beans i only started using it aft ds turned 1yo..

allycat

I never used stock to make porridge, just brown rice, veg n fish/pork. But i blend e porridge thereafter to have a smooth consistency.

wynce

Thanks allycat!

Hmm... put rice, veg and fish/pork together to make porridge? what kind of veg?
"i blend e porridge thereafter to have a smooth consistency." What do u mean? Is that I have to cook until all ingredients become very very soft... then I mash them? If use pork... I dont think it will be very soft if boil for too long...

Pardon me if my questions are too stupid... I have no experience and I look after baby myself... really need help...

apollo

Thanks allycat!

Hmm... put rice, veg and fish/pork together to make porridge? what kind of veg?
"i blend e porridge thereafter to have a smooth consistency." What do you mean? Is that I have to cook until all ingredients become very very soft... then I mash them? If use pork... I dont think it will be very soft if boil for too long...

Pardon me if my questions are too stupid... I have no experience and I look after baby myself... really need help...
actu i didnt blend ds porridge. unles i used brown rice, den i will blend it. if normal white rice, i will just throw the rice into the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hrs, textures will be soft enough. i had been using slow cooker for a few mth b4 ds can take thicker texture..

and i dun throw everything into the pot. i will make sure the porridge is fully cooked until the texture suitable for ds and leave it.. den when ds' meal time is reaching, ard 30min b4, i will on the 'high' or 'cooking' mode for ard 10min to let it boil again den throw in the ingredients for another 10min and off the slow cooker switch. 10min later scoop and serve. =)

wynce

Thanks apollo again! Just to clarify this... when u put the ingredients to boil for 10min, do the ingredients become very soft after that? or not necessary for the ingredients to be very soft? baby can chew them if they are not soft?

WinnieL

Thanks apollo again! Just to clarify this... when you put the ingredients to boil for 10min, do the ingredients become very soft after that? or not necessary for the ingredients to be very soft? baby can chew them if they are not soft?
depends on what you cook. some vege take longer to become soft, like potato & carrot. the food for your baby still needs to be soft enough to be mashed. you can try different kinds of food, eg pumpkin, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, apple, pear, papaya, etc. for fruits like apple, just scrape the flesh & feed your baby. Or you can bake/boil it till soft and then mash.

there's this guy on youtube who does great baby food. He has a baby himself as well. Do a search for nickosbabyfood. he's got nice recipes like apple & raspberry puree, pumpkin & corn puree, etc etc.

since you're looking after your baby yourself, you may want to prepare the food first, then freeze them in ice cubes, so you don't have to prepare them every day. This site is good www.wholesomebabyfood.com