Nestle Cerelac for baby

2011mummy

Hi all

my baby is about 5 mths old, not on any breastmilk thus dr recommend to let him expose to soild.
bought Nestle Cerelac / Brown Rice for him to try.
I have difficulty dissolving e cereal totally.
as per instructions, using warm water, seems like e cereal cannot totally dissolve.
will like to check those who try this product have same problem?? should e cereal dissolve totally to smooth or normal to have small small lump that cannot be dissolve?
then if stir for too long, cereal become watery instead of sticky too.

marshmallows

Yah nestle cereals are like that. Try stirring slowly as you add in scoop by scoop. Frisocrem is better, no lumps. You may also want to consider non sweet organic cereals like Healthy Times series available in ntuc, those dissolve well too :)

2011mummy

Yah nestle cereals are like that. Try stirring slowly as you add in scoop by scoop. Frisocrem is better, no lumps. You may also want to consider non sweet organic cereals like Healthy Times series available in ntuc, those dissolve well too :)
hihi..
thanks, so it's normal. but can feed baby thou those small lumps dun dissolve??
baby can digest?? i stir till my hand aches still got lump loh.
what kind of texture we should be looking for??
As in how sticky/thick should e texture be?? i try using both warm & hotwater, hotwater will have lesser lump.. but called e service hotline, they say hotwater will destroy e bateria that helps to digest in nestle cereal. E instruction given on was 5 tablespoon with 150ML water, this make e cereal very watery..

i have to finish this tin of cereal before trying another brand.. Cos this nestle cereal was "kind of sweet", will baby wanna take those non sweet after this?

btw since baby is trying to expose to solid food, will 2 tablespoon be enough or too much?? the cereal i make got small small lump, plus he still learning to eat, just a while e cereal become watery liao,(mayb i stir too much cos of trying to dissolve e lumps) how to feed? continue to feed with e watery cereal?

marshmallows

For first few feedings, try to make the cereal more to the sticky-watery type and no lumps because baby may gag and choke. No need to prepare alot, just a bit say like 2 tablespoons as it's more like intro baby to spoon feeding and new taste, not really to fill up his stomach. You can gradually increase the amount or make the texture thicker if baby eats well. Press the lumps against the bowl with the spoon. Or just scoop the no-lumps portion to feed baby.

For keeping the cereal warm while feeding, I prepare cereal in those Avent via cup and put it in the milk bottle warmer. I take another small bowl and scoop about 3 or 4 baby spoonfuls of cereal into the bowl and feed baby. In this way the cereal will stay warm as he eats :)

Oh and whether baby prefer sweet foods or not really depends on individual babies. Most babies I know like it but my boy HATES sweet food haha! You will just have to trial and error with different foods to find his preference :) Also, you need to look for any allergic reactions as always when introducing new food by following the 4-day wait rule. That is to feed the same food everyday for 4 days. Allergic reactions could be rashes, diarrhea etc. If all goes well after 4 days, can move on to try new food like fruit/vege puree.

2011mummy

For first few feedings, try to make the cereal more to the sticky-watery type and no lumps because baby may gag and choke. No need to prepare alot, just a bit say like 2 tablespoons as it's more like intro baby to spoon feeding and new taste, not really to fill up his stomach. You can gradually increase the amount or make the texture thicker if baby eats well. Press the lumps against the bowl with the spoon. Or just scoop the no-lumps portion to feed baby.

For keeping the cereal warm while feeding, I prepare cereal in those Avent via cup and put it in the milk bottle warmer. I take another small bowl and scoop about 3 or 4 baby spoonfuls of cereal into the bowl and feed baby. In this way the cereal will stay warm as he eats :)

Oh and whether baby prefer sweet foods or not really depends on individual babies. Most babies I know like it but my boy HATES sweet food haha! You will just have to trial and error with different foods to find his preference :) Also, you need to look for any allergic reactions as always when introducing new food by following the 4-day wait rule. That is to feed the same food everyday for 4 days. Allergic reactions could be rashes, diarrhea etc. If all goes well after 4 days, can move on to try new food like fruit/vege puree.
thanks again.. btw it ok to give formula milk after e cereal?? since he did not take in much cereal currently.

marshmallows

Yep. Milk is still the main source of nutrition before baby turns one year old. You should top up with milk after the cereal feeding :)

Usually I just add 5 spoons and stir as I pour the water in, nv see instructions, make the texture and thickness I want, sometimes will come up very smooth, sometimes lumpy, just make sure the lumps inside are dissolve not powder can le, my girl also eating cereal brown rice then I just change to healthy times brown rice, although ht brownrice not sweet, my girl love it, I think most babies love it, so u can try! Oh yah! She finish her cereal and after 10-30mibs she will finish her normal intake of milk, I think if yr baby willing to eat finish and drink, go ahead to feed, I know some babies eat le don't want drink, less 1 intake milk.. Got more milk is better. ;)