Slow cooker

uddermummy

Yup, my mum's lid for her slow cooker doesn't close very tightly as well.

Actually, it should boil on high. Cos that's what my mum does as well, put on high to boil, then put on low to simmer.

Did you check the instructions?

camom

I cheat when I use my slow cooker. To speed up cooking time, I will put the rice + water/stock into the inner clay pot, and boil on the stove. Once boiling, I will transfer the inner pot onto the metal outer casing and on the electricity. Don't know if it'll spoil my pot but if I m in a hurry, I do that.

annie

uddermummy, thats wat my mum said too. i tried the other day, i put on high for 1 hr but it didnt really boil alot. just some tiny bubbles coming up to the surface... then i turn to low after 1.5hrs. the instruction never say anything bout using high or low but it only says i cannot put the pot directly onto the stove...

uddermummy

annie, then maybe you wait a while longer before putting on low? Cos if there are bubbles, it means that the soup is boiling. Probably need some time more to see the really big bubbles. :p

annie

oh? will there be really big bubbles?

hmm that time i started cooking at 11pm then at 12.15am i turn to low cos i want to go sleep... haha. no time to wait for bigger bubbles...:001_302:

uddermummy

:) Hee, actually, I think it should be quite safe even if there are no big bubbles, cos the food is cooked for so long?

camom

can rice cooker be used as a slow cooker? they seems to have similar cooking functions..
Is yours the traditional type or the new fangled electronic type? I saw from Taiwanese shows that they use the traditional type to slow cook food.

suicul

mine is something like the pic below but not so complicated, only got 2 types of navigation, "on" & "warm"

my mom in law told me that i can even use this rice cooker to steam food, as the rice cooker does comes with a tray with holes, not sure what it's called..

will this do??

annie

nowadays there are alot of rice cooker which comes with those functions that u've named eg steaming, cooking rice/porridge etc. mine too. but then those are different from slow cooker. a slow cooker cooks food much more slowly. but if u are looking at making porridge or steaming veg/meat etc then u dun need a slow cooker. your rice cooker is enough

susern

I been using Aikra Pressure Cooker to cook porridge for my kids. Save a lot of time. The porridge is nice.

Justina

I been using Aikra Pressure Cooker to cook porridge for my kids. Save a lot of time. The porridge is nice.
I personally think slow cookers are great kitchen equipment. Been cooking baby porridge for my two kids ever since they went on solids. It gives a peace of mind that you dont't have to watch over cooking. No, i dont't think nutrient is lost. They're still very tasty too! Invest in one. You may see the baby food that i cook using slow cooking at my website below....