slow weight gain and asked to wean at 5 month

andieluv2

my girl will turn 5months tml and today i brought her for vacinnation. and the gp said her development is good. in fact its pretty fast for her age. but her weight gain is pretty slow. 1month ago she is 6.4kg. today she is only 6.85kg. only gain 400g in 1 month!!

she is currently taking 130mlsx5 everyday. and she still cannot finish and we gotta force feed her. then the gp say some baby prefers solids over milk hence ask.me to start weaning her. what should i do? to increase her feed but worry that she cant finish? or jist wean her? i started.to give her 2 feeds of heinz rice cereal and she seems okay with it. anyone know where to get organic baby food?

Rye

Millenia level 2 vitakids have them in store. I bought the happy bellies brown rice cereal. It's not sweet at all that's why I feed that. I started mine at 5.5 mths.

I find it a little weird that the doc is suggesting you wean baby off milk. cos I still think be it bm or fm, it should still be the main source of nutrients till 1 yr old.

Regarding the part where you said baby doesnt seem to want milk anymore, there could be many reasons. One could be she's teething and doesnt like to suck on teats cos is painful. Another reason could be she's self regulating herself. some babies will like "jian fei" if after some time they realise they have been drinking or eating too much. Another could be that the hole at the teat is too small and she gets frustrated with the slow flow. So, my take is dun reduce the milk intake. (130x5 = 650) is actually not a lot. i rem my boy was drinking 800-900ml of ebm when he was about 5 mth. if you reduce the intake, you got to replace the nutrients esp calcium thru other means like diary products which may be too fast to intro to your gal who just started on solids.

try to change the teats first or increase feeding frequency (with smaller milk qty). you can start to slowly increase the solid intake but i do not think it is wise to totally replace a feed with solid at this initial stage.

i buy organic food from this online seller.

AgapeBabies, your baby essentials store

I find her prices quite reasonable. you need to quote "SMH promo" to get about 5-10% off. I always buy stuff from her. she's quite prompt and reliable.

Lana17

130mlx5 is actually not a lot for a 5 mths old bb.. my bb is 4mths old n is drinking 200-210ml x 4 per day... is yr bb drinking at every 2.5 or 3 hrs??. if u r feeding her 130ml every 3hrs n she cant finish it (i would presume she is not hungry anymore or for any other reasons) maybe can increase her feeding interval to 15 min to 30 mins, like 130ml for every 3h15 or 3h30min n c if she manage to finish it.. if so, then slowly increase her intake n then stretch yr feeding interval...

andieluv2

thankz.munmy for ur replies... The doc suggest me to introduct solids. As in wean baby. So.wat.i am doing now is to give her abit.of brown rice cereal together with her usual milk. I have also.increased her milk feed to 140-150mls x5. planning to give her fm for 1 more feed at night before bed so she could slp thru the night. So that makes 6feeds a day. (5ebm +1fm) which will work.up to abt 800mls perday. I think she cant take large.amt.of.milk at 1 go. Whn she slping she can drag up to 5hrs without milk during the day and 9hrs at.night.

Anyway i checked with a doc friend.of.mine who works in rhe.pediatric setting, baby shoild.double.her birth weight at 6months and her birthweight is 3.296 so by 6 month she.should be 6.6 kg and.she.has hit.it already at 5month.so she is okay. Dun know why the gp say she slow growth. Guess.i wont go bck to him anymore.

celineyap88

My dd weight gain also slowed down at 4 months at around 400g but then 700g in 5 month. As long as your bb's weight gain is maintain at the same quartile of the weight, that should be fine. I think sometimes they grow more and sometimes they grow less.