Translucent Crystal Prawns

diymummy

Hi all, I'd just like to ask if anyone knows how to prepare prawns in such a way that they are crunchy and somewhat translucent, like the prawns we eat at dim sum places.

I have heard of a few methods:
1) Sprinkle with salt and stand for 1 min then rinse away the salt under cold running water. Repeat for 3-5 times
2) Sprinkle sugar on the prawns and freeze
3) Soak in sugar solution in the fridge

I've not tried steps 2 and 3 coz I don't think thawed prawns can actually be springy and for step 3, I am not sure how many parts sugar to how many parts water.

So if anyone has any ideas or had tried anything, could you please share it here? Thanks!!

noan

Hi Diymummy,

it's easy to make prawn crunchy.. U juz need to soak the prawn in baking soda:)

AugBoyz

Hi all, I'd just like to ask if anyone knows how to prepare prawns in such a way that they are crunchy and somewhat translucent, like the prawns we eat at dim sum places.

I have heard of a few methods:
1) Sprinkle with salt and stand for 1 min then rinse away the salt under cold running water. Repeat for 3-5 times
2) Sprinkle sugar on the prawns and freeze
3) Soak in sugar solution in the fridge

I've not tried steps 2 and 3 coz I don't think thawed prawns can actually be springy and for step 3, I am not sure how many parts sugar to how many parts water.

So if anyone has any ideas or had tried anything, could you please share it here? Thanks!!
method 2 is more of keeping the prawns fresh for a longer period of time.