What is the folic acid dosage prescribed by your Gyna ?

mum321

Hi, I am now 10-week pregnant. My gyna had asked me to take 5mg folic acid tablet per day since I last seen him at 7-week.

I have checked thru internet. The recommended dosage of folic acid shall be 0.4mg ( 400 mcg ) daily for normal pregnant woman. 5mg ( 5000 mcg ) is used only for those with high risk for Spinal Bifida such as those with family history of that.

My family is not high risk for that yet my gyna ask me to take 5mg folic acid per day.

I just wonder fellow forumer can share their experience. Were you asked to take a high dosage 5mg folic acid during your 1st trimester ??

-SRI-

Mum321, my gynae oso instruct me to take 5mg of folic acid. 1 tablet for every morning. she gave me 2mths supplies of folic acid... but i rarely ate it.. hahaha.. like sianz.. alot of pills man.. gt Multivitamins & Dydrogesterone too..... she said all tis is impt for my bb n me.. if HB noe i nvr take it regularly, sure kena scold..:001_302:

naze

I have taken 5mg of folic acid for the first trimester, started with iron, multi-vitamins & fish oil from second trimester till now. Same goes for my first pregnancy.

Amulet

5mg for me too.. i guess every doc prescribe 5mg ba.. takin in extra folic acid is harmless.. it will only do good no bad..

mum321

Hi all, looks like 5mg folic acid daily is the norm in Singapore. When do you all have to take such a high dosage until ?? Is it untill end of 1st trimester or is it throughout the whole pregnancy ??

Amulet

Hi all, looks like 5mg folic acid daily is the norm in Singapore. When do you all have to take such a high dosage until ?? Is it untill end of 1st trimester or is it throughout the whole pregnancy ??
only 1st tri for me.. after that i only took the pre-natal vits..

SweetieCat

Hi

I also 5mg. Am first time pregnant at 6 1/2 wks now. May I ask what pre-natal vits consist of? Is it a all-in-1 pill or many different pills?

-|MiN|-

its a all in one pink big pill.. :Dancing_wub:
I took that too from 2nd tri till now. It's Obimin-mulltivit for preggies - high in iron and includes folic and other vits and minerals too. Gynae prescribed solely the 5mg folic in tiny round yellow pill only during 1st tri for me.

Amulet

I took that too from 2nd tri till now. It's Obimin-mulltivit for preggies - high in iron and includes folic and other vits and minerals too. Gynae prescribed solely the 5mg folic in tiny round yellow pill only during 1st tri for me.
same here.. :D