when will you stop breastfeeding or pumping?

sleepymama

Hi mommies who have been breastfeeding or pumping for over a year.... when do you intend to stop? When there's no more milk or when you've reached your target?

I have friends who stop 'cos of supply going down, and those who are planning to stop after one year to minimise all the inconveniences of pumping while at work... what about you?

rabbit41

I stopped bf my son 19.5mths when I got to know I am pregnant. Actually me is very reluntant to stop bf. But after I stopped bf, I have miscarriage. Feeling so upset. But in May 08, I got pregnant again. So I am determined to bf my baby son as long as I can. This is my last chance to bf cos I don't intend to give birth anymore.

elaine01

I dont have intention to stop. I intend to BF until DS dont want my milk anymore/tandem nurse if i have #2? As long as DS still wants, even if #2 comes along, I still have milk, even if supply dip, I'll go all out to express whatever I have & give them. Of course I have to take care of my own body as well. Without a healthy body how to give bb my milk le........:tlaugh:

Supply is dipping. Used to get 100ml in 2 days. Now need 3 days but it's not stopping me.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I'll stop when ds2 wants to stop :) no real time limit/target to reach. To me, I've already accomplished what I set out to with ds1 so there's no stress this time round.

Supergirl

I stop breastfeeding when my DD reach 1 year old.

My instincts know that it is time to stop. My health is not good and formula milk might provide more calcium than I do.

DD adapt to FM very well too and overall I feel it is the right time.

JenLee98

For DD1, I stopped at 2.5 yrs......as supply very little.....(maybe with manual pump and hand express)
For DD2 , I intend to nurse as long as she is still drinking milk....(pumping with electric dual pump !) :wong19:

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
I intend to let the kids self wean when they are ready :)

As for pumping, i recently stopped pumping at work but is hand expressing at home as the kids are quite big already hence no need for excess ebm.

AngelLove

I dont have intention to stop. I intend to BF until DS dont want my milk anymore/tandem nurse if i have #2? As long as DS still wants, even if #2 comes along, I still have milk, even if supply dip, I'll go all out to express whatever I have & give them. Of course I have to take care of my own body as well. Without a healthy body how to give bb my milk le........:tlaugh:

Supply is dipping. Used to get 100ml in 2 days. Now need 3 days but it's not stopping me.
To : elaine01

How much do you pump per session and how much does your baby take each time and per day.

AngelLove

As for pumping, i recently stopped pumping at work but is hand expressing at home as the kids are quite big already hence no need for excess ebm.
Understand that you recently stopped pumping at work but you are still hand expressing at home, so how much do you need to hand express for both your kids since they are quite big now ? By the way, if you do not pump at work does it affect your supply ?

Last edited:

AngelLove

Dear Bluechin,

Understand that you recently stopped pumping at work but you are still hand expressing at home, so how much do you need to hand express for both your kids since they are quite big now ? By the way, if you do not pump at work does it affect your supply ?

Are you still expressing to-date ?

sleepymama

My supply has dipped recently, especially after a case of blocked ducts on the right a couple of months ago. I express 3 to 4 times per day with a total of about 17oz or 510ml which my boy drinks over 3 feeds on the next day. He's now 21 months and I figure the amount of milk is still sufficient for him.

And oh, btw, he still wakes about 4x on average every night to latch on, although each latch-on is for only about 5-8 minutes (usually only one let-down). I wonder when he will self-wean or stop waking at night to latch on...... it seems like comfort sucking as he's still very insecured :(

Aix

I stop when my son around 2.5 years old. My supply became very little. My son felt not enough and asked for bottle milk. :embarrassed: