P6 Maths Question

pokemon97

pls help me also...:eek:15:

1) Yesterday, a farm had a total of 1200 ducks and chickens. Today some chickens were sold and more ducks were brought into the farm. As a result, the number of ducks increased by 50% and the number of chickens decreased by 10%. There is now an equal number of ducks and chickens in the farm. Find the total number of chickens and ducks in the farm now.

stonston

Brain abit dead cos very late already. Had a long day at work.

Yesterday, a farm had a total of 1200 ducks and chickens. Today some chickens were sold and more ducks were brought into the farm. As a result, the number of ducks increased by 50% and the number of chickens decreased by 10%. There is now an equal number of ducks and chickens in the farm. Find the total number of chickens and ducks in the farm now.

Information Given:
At first
TOTAL C + D = 1200

Then
Some chicken were SOLD, - 10%
Some ducks were BOUGHT, + 50%
C = D

By model method:
C [_______________90% of C at first________________][--10% sold--]
D [______100% of D at first______][_50% of D at first_ ]

Comparing the percentages based on C:

Since D's 150% is same as C's 90%,
50% of D is the same as 30% of C.
Therefore D is converted into 60% and 30%:

C [_______________90% of C at first________________][--10% sold--]
D [______ 60% of D at first______][_ 30% of D at first_ ]

Total of C+D AT FIRST:
90% + 10% + 60% = 160%
160% = 1200 (total number of C+D at first)
1% = 7.5%

Total number of CHICKENS + DUCKS now:
180% = 1350 chickens & ducks

To counter check answers:

Total number of CHICKENS now:
90% = 675 chickens

Total number of DUCKS now:
90% = 675 ducks

If 10% of chickens were sold, there would be 750 chickens at first.
If 50% of the ducks were bought, there would be 450 ducks.

750 + 450 = 1200 (as given in question)

yumiao

Those who asking questions, are you the parents? You are facing problem how to teach your children? Haha, maybe the parents here can work together and orgnize a workshop for parents. How about that?

stonston

Those who asking questions, are you the parents? You are facing problem how to teach your children? Haha, maybe the parents here can work together and orgnize a workshop for parents. How about that?
I've conducted workshops on challenging maths problems before. Response was overwhelming as my students' parents brought friends/relatives along! Too bad I don't have time & classroom to do so now.

pokemon97

hi stonston, thanks for helping me to solve the question and with clear working. You are right, the answer is 1350 :)

Last edited:

stonston

Those who asking questions, are you the parents?
I was showing this thread to my colleague & she mentioned that there are TUTORS who do not know how to solve such questions, so go online to seek answers. The tutor she hired for her son previously was an example.

pokemon97

yup, i'm helping my son to ask...i dunno how to teach oredi, the P6 question is too difficult to me.

yumiao

I was showing this thread to my colleague & she mentioned that there are TUTORS who do not know how to solve such questions, so go online to seek answers. The tutor she hired for her son previously was an example.
maybe u can consider to have an open house for your centre, unless that is your own home. nowadays parents do need this kind of knowledge to learn how to teach. u give them one solution, they will still feel lost when facing a new question. what they need, is the system, the skill to analyse the question. when i teach my students (i m not a maths teacher though), i try to category all different types of questions and provide some kind of .... standard procedure. maybe u can also have a class to teach parents. :)

stonston

When I teach my students it's very systemic, covering the different types of questions. Especially for those who follow me up from Lower Primary, by P5 they can tackle very challenging questions on their own already. The parent class has a totally different set of materials.

I'm currently teaching from my home. My previous house was a shop house and our centre was just downstairs. Decided not to continue as it's quite far from where we stay now. Am looking around Punggol area for good location but decided to wait till the shopping centre is up :)

I just finished 1 parent course during June holidays at my place. But my house was 'bursting' because so many more parents came than I expected.

yumiao

sounds good, actually right now my centre is at yishun. and i will open my chinese tuition centre near punngol MRT in a few days time. maybe one day i can learn from u about experience in giving tuition around punggol. :) cheers

Angelmum

Those who asking questions, are you the parents? You are facing problem how to teach your children?
...i dont know how to teach oredi, the P6 question is too difficult to me.
When I teach my students it's very systemic, covering the different types of questions.
.....But my house was 'bursting' because so many more parents came than I expected.
My son got some Maths question. Told him ask teacher permission to see him after sch but he doesnt dare. Explained 1 question dunno may seemed ok but if every mth 1 question dunno ... all pile up, it means problem. u nvr know these tough questions will be in the PSLE n spell the end of his gd foundation/luck.

stonston

Angelmum, that's the same complaint those parents had! They were telling me that every week got 1-2 tough questions that they do not know!

Ting

omg, i think i used to do those sums when i was in pri sch also.
now u ask me to solve, im so lazy to use my brain!

Angelmum

every week got 1-2 tough questions that they do not know!
dont know must ask ... I did that during my sch days, pestering teacher before pm class starts but dear son doesnt want to make his 1st move

I was showing this thread to my colleague & she mentioned that there are TUTORS who do not know how to solve such questions, so go online to seek answers.
is there any on-line Maths eLearning centre or forum?

omg, i think i used to do those sums when i was in pri sch also.
Pri you already doing such tough questions:elvis: .... oh dear, that sound like a hugh age gap .... I really too old ! :embarrassed:

yumiao

Pri you already doing such tough questions:elvis: .... oh dear, that sound like a hugh age gap .... I really too old ! :embarrassed:
how can you all still remember what you did in pri school? what i only remember is + -, dont't even remember any problem sum. not only maths. don't you all feel the science is even worse? more difficult?

Last edited:

tenor

Alpha Male
To answer Angelmum's questions (I'm not sure if correct because I did not counter check my answers):
1) $3600
2) 130km/h
3) {WRONG! 127 customers} Correct = 37 Customers
4) 32cm2
Hello,

I am wondering how did you get 32 cm2 for Question 4.

Angelmum

how can you all still remember what you did in pri school? what i only remember is + -, dont't even remember any problem sum. not only maths. dont't you all feel the science is even worse? more difficult?
see ..... age gap problem!!
My donkey yrs P6 Maths and Science were chicken feet, easier than P2 std these days.

I am wondering how did you get 32 cm2 for Question 4.
Actually I also dunno how but paiseh ask Stonston. Instructed son ask his teacher but till today, he still no guts ask. Some ppl said I over worry, kept telling me, 1 question only mah :nah:

yumiao

haha, let me 班门弄斧。remember the way to get area is 1/2(base)x(height)
compare these two triangles,
1. DF is base of DEF, AD is base of ABD. Therefore, base(ABD) is 4 times of base(DEF).
2. From the base , i hope u still remember how to draw the height, bcoz BE is 3 times of ED, the height(ABD) is actually 4 times of height(DEF), (bcoz BD is 4 times of ED).
3. so area(ABD) is 4x4 times of area (DEF) , which is 16 times.
4. area (ABD) is 16x2=32

I love maths. but bcoz my english is not good, they don't allow me to teach EMS (english maths and science).

:(

yumiao

sorry to trouble you guys, how to change the personal profile? I m not worthy lady, i m a man. :) . In another thread, ppl called me mummy yumiao. :(