PD say she doesnt like milk.. so....

Feliz

was asked to start edlycia on white rice at 4month old.. I ask her issit to do with e milk brand,she say no cos if its is then she would hav reject it long time ago..

PD also say edlycia too small for her age nw, she's 5.9kg 60cm..

anyone baby also like that??

tinkerball

i personally felt 4 month is a bit too early to start on white rice. my boy is 6kg at that age. the nurses who check on him find him a bit small but asked wether my hubby is small built. (im small built myself). and i said yes. sometimes its due to the genes. i only started him on baby rice when he reach close to 5mths by adding a bit of the rice porridge in his milk. but must make sure its soluble enuf to go thru the feeding bottle.

Feliz

i personally felt 4 month is a bit too early to start on white rice. my boy is 6kg at that age. the nurses who check on him find him a bit small but asked wether my hubby is small built. (im small built myself). and i said yes. sometimes its due to the genes. i only started him on baby rice when he reach close to 5mths by adding a bit of the rice porridge in his milk. but must make sure its soluble enuf to go thru the feeding bottle.

me n hub also belongs to those small built.. shld i seek 2nd opinion from other PD?

PinkDiamonds

If your girl doesn't show any signs of teething, nor shows interest in eating solids, then I don't think there is reason to introduce her to white rice. Your PD probably wants you to give white rice because he thinks your girl is too small for her size.

My girl was also around that size at 4 months. Her height was around 25 percentile and the nurse at the polyclinic said she's on the petite side. I'm small size, and my hubby isn't very tall either.

You may want to seek a second opinion, and you may probably want to consider increasing her milk intake if her weight gain worries you. :)

diymummy

My son was around that weight when he was 4 mths too. My son is also small in size.

Doesn't like milk? Milk is very impt for babies below age of 1. Might be wise to seek a second opinion.

Also agree with pinkdiamonds that if your kid is not showing signs of readiness for solids, it would be bad idea to start it.

Maybe you want to change the milk brand? Has she always been fussy with milk? Is she feeling bloated? Does she have a stuffy nose?

These could be some of the reasons why babies refuse to drink.

Feliz

Hi all mummies.. edlycia only drinks 2 hourly 90ML to 120ML max (sometimes only) n also most time she doesnt finish 90ML.. She doesnt feel bloated (i guess) .. That day i tried letting her eat baby biscuit by dissolving it in water till creamy, she enjoy eating n when i stop feeding her, she cried.. so does it means she ready? How to know if she's fussy? If i change milk, which is e recommanded brand?

Wher shld i go to seek second opinion? KK? or another normal PD clinic?

meiteoh

My daughter was the same as yours - around 5.5 kg at 4 mths. My paed just said that it's nothing to worry about because she has the Michelin tyre look but is just petite according to genes.

Personally, age, size and weight is not a good indicator of when to start solid food. I would wait till she's older (which was what I did with Eva as well).

diymummy

You feed using spoon? What do you use to feed?

What brand of milk are you using now? You can get free samples to try from either PD clinic or from the milk brand website. That time I got the Mamil Gold from Dumex website.

Ask around some friends whom you know? Get recommendations for a pd to go for 2nd opinion.

PinkDiamonds

You can visit another PD for a 2nd opinion. I have none to recommend cause I bring my girl to the polyclinic for her check-ups and jabs.

For my girl her signs of interest in eating is when she keep salivating, biting on her toys. We have a habit of making her sit with us during meal times so we knew she was ready when she started making those chewing noises and salivate.

Maybe she cried because she wanted more? If you don't want to introduce her rice, you can introduce her fruit puree. You can make yourself, or buy the Heinz ones which are suitable for 4 months old.

I think her milk intake is quite okay. My girl was feeding about 120ml every 3-4hrs at 4 months old.

Feliz

My daughter was the same as yours - around 5.5 kg at 4 mths. My paed just said that it's nothing to worry about because she has the Michelin tyre look but is just petite according to genes.

Personally, age, size and weight is not a good indicator of when to start solid food. I would wait till she's older (which was what I did with Eva as well).

hi meiteoh, edlycia also has that michelin tyre look on her thigh.. so when doc say she's not gaining enf weight, i was like :eek:..

Feliz

You feed using spoon? What do you use to feed?

What brand of milk are you using now? You can get free samples to try from either pediatrician clinic or from the milk brand website. That time I got the Mamil Gold from Dumex website.

Ask around some friends whom you know? Get recommendations for a pediatrician to go for 2nd opinion.

yup i feed using spoon.. I see the way she eat from e spoon like very experience like that.. :tlaugh:

Im using mamex now.. if get free samples, still mus mix current milk with new milk n etc right? or straight change?

Feliz

You can visit another pediatrician for a 2nd opinion. I have none to recommend cause I bring my girl to the polyclinic for her check-ups and jabs.

For my girl her signs of interest in eating is when she keep salivating, biting on her toys. We have a habit of making her sit with us during meal times so we knew she was ready when she started making those chewing noises and salivate.

Maybe she cried because she wanted more? If you dont't want to introduce her rice, you can introduce her fruit puree. You can make yourself, or buy the Heinz ones which are suitable for 4 months old.

I think her milk intake is quite okay. My girl was feeding about 120ml every 3-4hrs at 4 months old.

Ya edlycia also drool nw n also she like to bite her hand or whatever that comes to her mouth.. when she see us eating, her mouth will move like also eating.. :tlaugh:

hw to make fruit puree? jus boil it till soft n feed? wat fruits u recommanD?

diymummy

Hi felzdown,

Maybe if you really wanna start solids, you might wanna start with cereal and use milk as a base. Since your girl seems to be taking on well with the spoon and has lost her tongue thrust reflex.

If you intend to change, you can interleaf the feeds, eg if you have 5 milk feeds a day, replace 1 feed with the new milk slowly 2 feeds, and so on.

Don't mix two powders together. The taste will be weird. And also it will be easier to weed out allergies. Like my son is highly allergic baby. We only intro one new thing at a time and for a few days to make sure he doesn't have any allergic reactions.

Feliz

Hi felzdown,

Maybe if you really wanna start solids, you might wanna start with cereal and use milk as a base. Since your girl seems to be taking on well with the spoon and has lost her tongue thrust reflex.

If you intend to change, you can interleaf the feeds, eg if you have 5 milk feeds a day, replace 1 feed with the new milk slowly 2 feeds, and so on.

dont't mix two powders together. The taste will be weird. And also it will be easier to weed out allergies. Like my son is highly allergic baby. We only intro one new thing at a time and for a few days to make sure he doesn't have any allergic reactions.

ooh ok.. my hub bought e nestle brand rice cereal with milk, den still need to put milk?

ok i go take sample milk powder.. but go survey e brand first.. :001_302:

diymummy

Hi felzdown, yeah... Still mix with milk. You can mix with milk and once with water and see for yourself which you prefer to feed your girl with.

I didn't really like the Nestle one because it has trace amts of gluten and also sugar.

I started my boy off with Heinz and then with Healthy Times.

meiteoh

felz, some paeds are all about numbers and charts whereas some are more "unconventional". You can seek a second opinion - so far, my encounter with the paeds at Raffles Hospital has all been positive and I know of some mummies who have other paeds they see which are good. Maybe can check out the paed section in the forum for more info.

Re fruit purees - better to steam, then use the water left over to puree; higher retention of nutrients compared to boiling.

Ting

yeah would be good to seek a 2nd opinion.
i just find it weird for your paed to say tt your girl doesnt like milk, bcos, all the while if she only drank milk, how can she not like it?
cos if she didnt, she would hv rejected the first time u gv her.
n IMO, size doesnt matter, as long as they r not boney n looks like they r malnutrition.
i personally do not like nestle, cos i find it sweet when i tried it the first time, cant rmb which one i tried cos too long ago alr.
i only gv pin heinz rice cereal n mixed with her FM.
i think now it is OOS? maybe u can start on organic brands. :)
but i would also recommend to wait another mth or so b4 u start.
n do not mix into the milk n feed thru the btl.
use a spoon to feed instead.
milk btl is solely for MILK ONLY, adding in cereal might result in choking the child.

Feliz

Hello all mummies,

Diymummy,i let edlycia try abit of rice cereal jus now n she likes it.. she ate 10teaspoons in total.. i tried e rice cereal n also find it too sweet.. I saw online there's a spree for organic bellamy rice cereal.. is that ok?

Meiteoh, for e fruit which one is ok to start with? I will go survery another PD for 2nd opinion also..

Ting, actually edlycia hav been drinkin 120ML on e 2nd month den suddenly she rejects n always end up with 30ML balance or sometimes even more..
Doc ask me does either me or hubby don like milk, den i say me lor.. she say thats also e cause of it..

adelynn

My girl at her 4th month check up is somewhat close to your girl's stats. she weighs 5.4KG & is 60CM which slightly below the 25 percentile. Her milk intake is about 90ML to 120ML every 3 hourly (EBM). Doc says she's on the smaller side but if baby is eating well, peeing & pooing well and is happy all's good.

Doc did say that if we want her to gain more weight then mix a small portion of rice cereal into her milk and slowly increase the consistency over time to get her used.

We decided not to do that as she hasn't had that keen interest in using eating and we feel that all babies grow differently and as long as she's happy and eating well, so be it