Where Do You Store Your BreastMilk At?

soapsoap

i bought mine online. As for removal i twist both sides of the trays slightly and pop them right into the storage bags

the storage bags i used are specially meant for breastmilk , pre-sterilized & BPA free, i get them from US from a friend of mine. she helps me buy and ship them back to me. so its not the typical zip lock bags you see in the supermarkets.

as for storage, 1 pack usually is for a day's feed so minimal in-and-out of freezer.

as for handling, my help uses a tong to take it out and pop right into the milk bottles and put it in the fridge to thaw for use when necessary

alternatively, if you find it too much of a hassle, you can use milk bags as what puppydog recommends. i used that for awhile too before i got my milk trays but i had too much wastage so i changed to milk trays
can i know wat is the storage bag brand name that u use to store the milk bar?

meizhichow

I used Playtext breast milk storage bag for my son. It's cheap n easy to use. $16 for abt 140 pieces bag. but u hav to use rubber band or clamp to secure it. I had bought another freezer for breastmilk storage as the common fridge got not enough space. ILuckily my friend recommended this Play text mik bag, it's really save $$. ucan try to search online. U can find it local shopping centre, n u can buy it online too.
Normally if my son need the milk fr freezer, i will take 1 out fr freezer n keep it in the fridge overnite. Then, my son will finish it next day. As long as u dun keep the milk in fridge for more then 24 hr is safe. They got two diffrent size of milkbag, either 4oz or 8oz...
All the best! N enjoy breastfeeding. I manage to do it til my son was 1 yrs old.

Missy S

Hi Missy S

I had the same experience with you when I used milk trays, the frozen milk sticks very difficult to remove and complete waste of time and milk! Storing ebm in zip lock bags is not a good option too as these bags are not pre-sterlised and BPA-free. In addition, using our hands to handle the frozen milk is not advisable, though our hands are thoroughly washed, there is still traces of bacteria and chemcial residue on our hands! I was advised by my gynae not to use this method of storing our ebm.

We put in so much efforts and time to express our milk. Feeling assured that our ebm is stored at its best is important and I guess it is worth to invest in good milk bags. Many advantages and it makes the process of bf a breeze!
Yes, I totally agreed with you. I just bought my milk trays online and used it for 2 days, but each time I find my milk is waste and a real hassle. Don't why the milk sticks seems so difficult to remove from the trays.

Missy S

i bought mine online. As for removal i twist both sides of the trays slightly and pop them right into the storage bags

the storage bags i used are specially meant for breastmilk , pre-sterilized & BPA free, i get them from US from a friend of mine. she helps me buy and ship them back to me. so its not the typical zip lock bags you see in the supermarkets.

as for storage, 1 pack usually is for a day's feed so minimal in-and-out of freezer.

as for handling, my help uses a tong to take it out and pop right into the milk bottles and put it in the fridge to thaw for use when necessary

alternatively, if you find it too much of a hassle, you can use milk bags as what puppydog recommends. i used that for awhile too before i got my milk trays but i had too much wastage so i changed to milk trays
May I know what is the brand of the zip lock bag that you are using to store your milk sticks?

angelblue

May I know what is the brand of the zip lock bag that you are using to store your milk sticks?
Hi Missy S

I am also very keen to know what type of zip lock bag that adelynn used to keep the milk bars. I tried to google but can't find any zip lock bags that are pre-sterlised and BPA-free. Mostly those available are for domestics and commercial use, none safe for storage of breastmilk. If she got in from States, I can ask my brother who is residing in States to buy for me. But I think the price will be expensive.

I am also bfing now, my milk production is good and I kept my ebm in milk bags. More convenient and my maid can understand which batch to use first as there is a space to date the ebm. I read that ebm can be kept for as long as 3-6 months in freezer. I have tried Lansinoh but lately found a link at this forum, having promotion for Nanny Breastmilk Storage Bags. Bought and very happy with the quality and the price. Maybe you like to check it out :)

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f81/nanny-breastmilk-storage-bags-sole-distributor-41281/

elaine01

hi mommies sorie to ask a stupid question....does we need to store the milk in a diff fridge?
hey, it's not stupid question! for 1st time mummies, we dont know how determine we'll be to express for our child. so usually we just freeze in our fridge. but if #2 pops by, i'll definitely get another mini freezer just for my EBM lor:tlaugh:

Missy S

hi mommies sorie to ask a stupid question....does we need to store the milk in a diff fridge?
Hi Mum2bee, not a stupid question at all... I too have all of this questions and doubts. Hmm... unless you have a huge supply of EBM, you do not need to store in a diff fridge. But, I empty out 2 compartments specially for my EBM. Now, still considering if should invest in a chest freezer, but my kitchen is well too small that I can't think of a space to place it... sigh

cheekyangel

Hi Mum2bee

I dont't think you need to store your milk in a diff fridge unless of course your current fridge does not have enough space. Just keep your fridge organised. As for me, I dont't keep alot of stuff in my fridge and I would set aside one area in fridge and one freezer compartment solely for my expressed breastmilk. And I used storage milk bags to store ebm as glass bottles take up a lot of fridge space. I was recommended to buy from this website, maybe you would like to check it out :

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f103/nanny-breastmilk-storage-bags-pigeon-breast-pads-promotion-41357/

Hope my sharing will ease your mind :)

puppydog

help help, my fridge also filled up with EBM, any deep freezer to recommend? i got no space for milk alrdy..
Hi mummydeedee

You just google 'where to buy deep freezer', it will show you a few good deals. I saw one, letting go at $150.00 but ads placed on March 2010, don't know whether still available. You may want to check it out.

Hope the above helps :)

hapieger

sorry to ask,after thawed,can i keep the milk in the fridge for another 24 hrs??

normally i run the frozen milk under the tap water and once its thawed, i keep it in the fridge for 24 hrs.... is it ok?

puppydog

sorry to ask,after thawed,can i keep the milk in the fridge for another 24 hours??

normally i run the frozen milk under the tap water and once its thawed, i keep it in the fridge for 24 hours.... is it ok?

Assuming you are using bm storage bags, yes milk once thaws can be placed in the chiller compartment of the fridge for another 24 hours max. Normally what I do is to bring the milk to thaw naturally overnight in the fridge, instead of running under tap water. I find the below link useful. Hope it helps:

Breastfeeding: How to Pump and Store Your Breast Milk -- familydoctor.org

Last edited:

hapieger

Assuming you are using breast milk storage bags, yes milk once thaws can be placed in the chiller compartment of the fridge for another 24 hours max. Normally what I do is to bring the milk to thaw naturally overnight in the fridge, instead of running under tap water. I find the below link useful. Hope it helps:

Breastfeeding: How to Pump and Store Your Breast Milk -- familydoctor.org

thanks.. i am using glass bottle and it takes a longer time to thaw the milk in the glass bottle.. and my fridge is super cold that it will not thaw if i leave it overnight in the fridge...

JP12

Hi mummies,

I am currently using AVENT VIA cups to store EBM. How many times can these be re-used, even after being sterilized? I see the recycle no. is 5 - so best to use only up to 4 times and throw them out? Feel it's such a waste.

Will it be better to store EBM in glass bottles? Anyone has bottle caps for Similac glass bottles? I got a few small bottles without caps.
Thanks

hpc

Can take from new bottles or else buy from any shop selling baby product eg Kiddy palace,maybe giant,NTUC,etc