Where Do You Store Your BreastMilk At?

Vone

Hi Mummies, i'm currently bfing my baby.

However,it seems like im running out of advent milk bottles lol

Any suggestions on where i should store my ebm at?

And another question sometimes i express more then 100ml of milk and kept them in the freezer but it seems like a waste whenever my ds doesnt finish all 100ml of it. What should i do?

lisa_ng

vone, i use avent via cups. quite useful i find. moreover that's a part where u can use marker to label them & it can be wash off. the cups can use for other storage purpose also. i use it as a milk powder container sometimes. but remember to buy those with lids. some package are without lids. i pour ebm in smaller amount in each cup after each pump so that won't waste if baby can't finish all. :)

Last edited:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
If your baby is only taking 100ml each time... then split the milk up into two portions. Make sure the milk is mixed up first (ie you can't see separate layers of milk before you pour the milk out) otherwise one portion may end up having more fore/hind milk than the other.

I used to use Avent milk bags but I understand they're not being sold anymore. BMSG sells both Lansinoh and Kaneson milk bags (prices here)

Alternatively, you can go to the hospitals and ask for glass milk bottles... you can steralise them each time you use them. I know many moms who do this.

Mum2Matty

Playtex milk bags is another good alternative to Avent milk bags. These are w/o ziplocks.

Ziplocks bag like lansinoh is good for storing larger quantity.. if not I very heart pain! hahaha..

I do not store in bottles as it takes up too much space.

stonston

i use Playtex after my stock of Avent liners finish..for playtex dunnid to double pack...n for a pack of 140 liners, i onli pay $16....which is onli $0.11 per bag....

Avent is $0.16 per bag, some more v thing, need to double pack....

Lanisonh works out to be ard $0.70/bag..heartpain!!

btw, i use rubber band to tie, then put into a milk bag holder to freeze into a rectangular block...e holder u can buy fm taka or robinsons, brand is 1st few yrs...i got it during taka fair for $30 (got 2 trays, u can share with some1 else)....
cos when it is rectangular blks, it is easier to stack up or put nicely in a large container to store....
i keep my milk in milk bag, then arrange in large container then put in freezer....prevent contamination from other foods...
but now my mum bought me a chest freezer to store milk cos her freezer got no space for milk liaoz....dun even have space for food....so no choice...

Last edited:

CynCyn

When I was breastfeeding I bought alot of those no brands milk bottle and store them inside .

viki

Hi Vone,

Hope bb is doing well!! For me in the past, what i did was to pump and store in various quantites ranging from 30ml to 60ml. I did it becoz my bb drank up to 90ml-100ml each time. In, addition becoz u can't measure how much the bb drinks from the breast, sometimes my bb is quite temeperamental.I also have a habit of emptying my breast by expressing out after i finish bf her, ie. i pumped out remaining say, 20-30ml. Personally i don't mix but store them up indv.
I remember the nurses and lactation consultant telling me, if want to combine EBM, can do for max 2 feeds and don mix the cold one with the freshly pumped one. Instead, cool both in fridge then pour them up in one bag to freeze. Can't mix warm EBM (freshly pumped) and cold/frozen directly.I found it very cumbersome so I ended freezing the smaller qtties individually. Hope this helps.:Dancing_wub:

elaine01

It is advisable to store EBm inproportion of 2~3 oz, easier to thaw when we need to feed baby.

I like ziploc milk storage bags. Avent milk bottles very expensive. I use VIA cups too.:tlaugh:

jut

I freeze excess only in milk bags. - Saves space in the freezer.
I store in refrigerator for daily feeds. - Refrigerated milk is better than frozen ones. I store in feed sized bottles, so that there will be no wastage. At any one time, there will only be 4-5 bottles for milk - just nice for the day.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
another way to tie your milk bags is to use those wire twist that bread shops use to tie some of their bread packets. there is a harder & thicker version available at hardware shops too. not very ex.. 2 plus a roll if i recall correctly.

elaine01

another way to tie your milk bags is to use those wire twist that bread shops use to tie some of their bread packets. there is a harder & thicker version available at hardware shops too. not very ex.. 2 plus a roll if i recall correctly.
is the inside wire? i think after a few "re-uses", the wire will break?:err:

stonston

i stopped using this wires after my fren shared with me that her wires actualli broke quite a few bags of milk while they were thawing in the fridge....for me rubber band still safest n cheapest method :)

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
is the inside wire? i think after a few "re-uses", the wire will break?:err:
i don't recycle my wires twists. just one use only. it's quite cheap for a row that lasts a long time for someone who gives away my ebm pretty often when my kids were younger.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
i stopped using this wires after my fren shared with me that her wires actualli broke quite a few bags of milk while they were thawing in the fridge....for me rubber band still safest n cheapest method :)
ohh.. that's bad. hasnt happened to me though. usually i will put the fresh ebm milk bags in an empty ice cream tub so it balances and will not topple while waiting to freeze. The wire twists i use are the thicker version.

stonston

ohh.. that's bad. hasnt happened to me though. usually i will put the fresh ebm milk bags in an empty ice cream tub so it balances and will not topple while waiting to freeze. The wire twists i use are the thicker version.
i have a milkbag holder from first few years...it is v good...makes e shape of e frozen milk into blocks so easy to stack up n store...

clairebear22

Hi Ladies,
I have been breastfeeding my child for the last 7months and thankfully my mother travels for business in Bangkok regularly and helps me to buy breastmilk bags there. They are a lot cheaper than the ones we are able to find in Singapore. The brand is Nanny by Picnic (picnic.co.th - manufactured in Thailand). The bags are pre-sterilised, with double zipper seal and can take up to 6oz. Anyone interested to buy? I have a few spare boxes. Selling at $8 for 25 bags. Please email me at to_teresa@hotmail.com if you are interested

elaine01

Hi Mummies, i'm currently bfing my baby.

However,it seems like im running out of advent milk bottles lol

Any suggestions on where i should store my ebm at?

And another question sometimes i express more then 100ml of milk and kept them in the freezer but it seems like a waste whenever my ds doesnt finish all 100ml of it. What should i do?
Vone,

You can purchase milk bags. Takes up less space.

You may want to store in proportions of 2~3 oz. Easier to thaw & probably wont have any wastage.:tlaugh:

Anaqi

i oso separate my ebm into portions (abt 2 oz) in avent via cups and store them in the fridge. when i'm @ work, i told my mom (who is taking care of my boy) to warm 2 portions of my ebm.
the thing is that,sometimes when he finish the 2 portions and is still hungry, he'll be very angry as my mom nd time to warm the other portion of the ebm. if this happens, she'll sometimes give him plain water while warming the milk, hoping to cool him down. or will warm 3 portions at one go but at times, he couldnt finish it all... *sigh*
any mummy face the same prob? plz advise...