Public transport passengers treats pregnant lady invisible

milkshake

I've given up on mrts. Most of them feign ignorance or fall asleep the moment I enter. I starte taking taxi when I enter 3rd trimester. Taxis aren't any better - got some reckless drivers. I complained one to comfortdelgro where this driver was speedin like as if I was in desperate need of a hospital!! But in fact I never told him to rush. At one point I almost slip off the car seat cos he jammed brake while trying to fight with other taxi driver n bus drivers on the road!! CDG wrote back to say he had bad record and they terminated him after my complain. I shudder to imagine who else sat in his cab before. Or for that matter I don't think it wld stop him from applying to other taxi co

cyberie

i ever encountered this 2 incidents in 1 train ride.

1) an uncle rushed towards the priority seat as i was walking towards me. he sat down and immediately flashed me his senior citizen ezlink card n remarked that he's a senior citizen. I retorted him that i'm pregnant (1st trimester only) w/o the intention of him giving up his seat and he just went "oh..u r pregnant" (say only la, never offer his seat). then at the next stop, the person sitting next to him alighted, and he just chope that seat, and asked his wife from the opposite aisle to come over and sit..

2) after the above, i walked to the opposite aisle to sit.. and all the seats were filled and then i saw a heavily pregnant lady standing in front of me. so i asked the guy next to me, if he can give up his seat to the pregnant lady.. He retorted by saying, "why dont you give up your seat instead?" So i told him, i'm pregnant too. Then he LL stand up and give up his seat.. This guy is only in his 30s-40s. i cannot imagine a guy saying such things to me.. throughout the day, i was like, totally disappointed in the calibre of singapore men...
At least the guy stood up... i met this guy on the train who refuse to give up his seat. When a nice lady standing beside me ask him to give up his seat to me.. he shake his head... gosh...

The issue is not about having to stand... But the train and bus always jam brake.. this is very dangerous for pregnant ladies and elder.. hopefully there will be less ppl fake sleep and give up seat to ppl who really need it more..

engravedx

I think I'm lucky enough that majority of the times, there will definitely be seats for me on the bus/trains. Even if not, there are pple who will give up their seats for me. But same sentiments, it's quite paiseh feel and sometimes I will politely reject if I'm ok with standing or only a few stops.

There was once I got on the train at Orchard/Somerset. As you know, these stations are the most crowded and everyone's snatching any available seats. I wasn't hoping for much or don't wanna purposely stand infront of someone to let them give up their seat to me. Once I got into the train with my hubby and his friend, I immediately stood at the pole and turn around facing door, meaning no intention to sit down. This very kind lady tapped my shoulder and asked me to sit on the priority seat though she was carrying alot of barang barang. Apparently she already prepared to give up her seat to me when she saw me outside the train doors cos hubby and his fren noticed her preparing to give her seat up to me. Really very sweet feeling. :)

But another time when I boarded the train at Tampines, yet another crowded station. Train was quite empty but train station is quite packed. Once the train came, I was standing right at the door yet those behind just chiong in. Okay, nvm, let them chiong. No seat I also don't mind since I'm alighting at Bedok. But it reach my limit when I was about to sit down and someone actually PUSHED ME AWAY and hurridly sat down on the seat. There was still an empty seat beside the seat she sat down which I could have sat, but I was so damn pissed off I just stood infront of her exclaiming loudly to my hubby that some pple so kanchiong must sit down, machiam disabled like that. Too bad she's not local, a pinoy if i rmb correctly. So I don't think she feel really paiseh. But seriously wtf, snatching seat w pregnant lady is alr so omg and still PUSH AWAY. So inconsiderate!

And my babybump is alr very obvious. I was alr 5-6 months pregnant then!

And I really hate those who pretend not to see pregnant ladies or just can't be bothered. So what if you are not sitting on priority seat? Then can't just be polite and give up a seat to them? When I was just 2-3 months pregnant, I had to give up my seat to another pregnant lady cos everyone else pretended to be blind. Funny right? Pregnant lady giving up her seat for another pregnant lady. Hahaha.

engravedx

i ever encountered this 2 incidents in 1 train ride.

1) an uncle rushed towards the priority seat as i was walking towards me. he sat down and immediately flashed me his senior citizen ezlink card n remarked that he's a senior citizen. I retorted him that i'm pregnant (1st trimester only) w/o the intention of him giving up his seat and he just went "oh..u r pregnant" (say only la, never offer his seat). then at the next stop, the person sitting next to him alighted, and he just chope that seat, and asked his wife from the opposite aisle to come over and sit..

2) after the above, i walked to the opposite aisle to sit.. and all the seats were filled and then i saw a heavily pregnant lady standing in front of me. so i asked the guy next to me, if he can give up his seat to the pregnant lady.. He retorted by saying, "why dont you give up your seat instead?" So i told him, i'm pregnant too. Then he LL stand up and give up his seat.. This guy is only in his 30s-40s. i cannot imagine a guy saying such things to me.. throughout the day, i was like, totally disappointed in the calibre of singapore men...
The second incident similar to mine! Just that I didnt ask anyone else to give up the seat to the pregnant lady. She was about 7-9months pregnant, very very very huge babybump, esp since she's so slim! I was also in my first tri, I just stood up after awhile when nobody offered her a seat. But worse is she didnt even say thank you to me. She just sat down like it's her rights. I mean, yah, you have priority but can be courteous also mah. She prolly dint know I'm pregnant too. I wasnt even sitting in priority seat..

engravedx

all preggy mummies got sleepy spell!! it will works super fast when board the trains or buses, cos all sleep when u step in. but will become blind or actor/ actress also.. tat the magic our cuties give us!!

w/ my big 35week bump, i dun always have ppl give up seat also, some even push me to snatch seats!! may karma fall on them soon..

i dun mind not having any seat since we all pay fare, but dun push me..
Yes! Pushing is the worst! Dont offer seats, we maybe still can understand that they are tired, or maybe just plain selfish. BUT SNATCHING SEAT FROM PREGNANT LADIES SHOULD BE LABELED A CRIME!! Esp pushing. -.-"

engravedx

In my 18th weeks (4 months plus), the very first person who gave up seat to me in public bus is a guy.
After that, no one give up seat to me :(

Sometimes if you don't stand beside them, they won't be able to see you. And if they see you and give up their seat to you, they would be cursing you, "bus so big, why you have to stand near me???"

Currently 29th weeks now. So far, 1 lady & 1 guy gave up seat to me without me walking any further in. If not, there are empty seats (those seats which you have to face the rest of the passagers in bus, that mean your back facing the driver kinda seats)

Sometimes, it really depend on your luck. Your luck on meeting nice people.

Before i got pregnant, i always give up seats to pregnant lady and old people. But when i got pregnant, nobody give up seat to me :(
yeah..totally agreed..have to see luck on who u'll meet that day...bt so far, ever since i'm 20 wks pregnant, ppl do give their seats to me most of the time on mrt, but bus is difficult..i ever encounter one malay aunty, i was already 25 wks pregnant, my bum is
so obvious that i'm standing in front of her, she just pretend nv see me..when she going down the bus, she purposely pushed me sm more..I dont understand, she's a women, she probably was pregnant b4, doesnt she noe how a pregnant women feel?

i will always thank those ppl who gave their seat to me with a smile, i really appreciate their kindness..

there was once i was seated at the priority seat & another pregnant women came into the train, her tummy is so big it seems like she's having twins..e train is super crowded, the lady sitting beside me is slping..so i stand up n let the pregnant women sit..there's another lady who's standing show tt i as a pregnant women gave up my seat to another pregnant women, she wake the lady sitting beside & gt her to offer her seat to me..that I was very touched!

There are good people ard, its really ur luck that day whether you'll meet them or nt..
I think us pregnant ladies know how other pregnant ladies feel. So if we can tahan to stand, we will give up our own seats to others who are more in need. Actually doing this right, will make the other commuters feel more paiseh, if they even have any sense of shame.

Tannie

The second incident similar to mine! Just that I didnt ask anyone else to give up the seat to the pregnant lady. She was about 7-9months pregnant, very very very huge babybump, esp since she's so slim! I was also in my first tri, I just stood up after awhile when nobody offered her a seat. But worse is she didnt even say thank you to me. She just sat down like it's her rights. I mean, yah, you have priority but can be courteous also mah. She prolly dint know I'm pregnant too. I wasnt even sitting in priority seat..
Yes I hate it when I gave up my seat to pregnant woman and they just take it w/o saying thank you, on top of that still give black face... I will be so regret giving up seat to these ppl...

engravedx

Yes I hate it when I gave up my seat to pregnant woman and they just take it w/o saying thank you, on top of that still give black face... I will be so regret giving up seat to these ppl...
As if we owe them like that. Chehh!!

climsp

during my 1st trims, i just transfer to new branch, so took straight bus to work place. there was this aunt who is pinoy in her 40s ( from her look) always fake preggy to ask for seat. i give her seat b4, no thank u from her. as weeks passed, my bump had grow bigger, her tummy still the same size... tat when i realise she is fake!! she ask seat from me again, so i just told her i preggy n this is not fatty bump like her. so everytime she saw me in same bus she will walk very far behind.. lol

i been ask to give up seat b4 by a 50plus aunty also, when i say i am preggy, she give me look and say in malay which i dun understand as if i am underage shootgun mummy!! WTF lo!! yes i look young even in my early 30s. but i dun think she got the rite to say tat so loud in bus... think she forget abt this accident as i dun realli makeup nowadays, she dun recognize me, will seat beside me sometime also.

NingNingMummy

Yup, totally agree. Im now in my 35th weeks, ppl on the bus also ignore me.. Lol
Actually Preggy Ladies, why wait for someone to give up the seat to you? Juz go up to the Reserved seating areas and asked whoever (not elderly, not young children, not disabled) to give up the seat to you bcos you are pregnant.

I was preggy 2 times, and 2 times, i did just that. And i make sure i Thank you the person loudly.

and when i am not pregnant, i DID give up my seats to (elderly, young children or disabled) even if i am not seating at the Reserved seating areas.
To be honest, there are certain times i missed giving up the seats bcos i really fell asleep or i simply can't tell whether that lady is preggy or just plain with a fat tummy..

My point is, if you need the seat, Speak up!
Most people are nice or polite enough to give up the seats if you ask them to...whether Singaporean or foreign talenet...

NingNingMummy

Why? people gave up their seat for you, you should Thanks them properly... or she's feeling not good. Be understanding.. Else you can ask her whether she's ok?

I'm 17wks preg now and so far, 2 ppl offered me to sit. The first one was a lady and another was a young guy. I felt so so grateful to them because even tho i'm in my second trisem alrd, i still feel slight giddiness and dizzy when i stand on train, sometimes i even feel breathless and cold sweat will be running from my body. I almost drop fainted 2x when i was on my first trisem (first tri sem was the most suffering time so far!!) and nobody offered me a seat then, but i didnt blame them because my tummy wasnt showing anyway.

The first person who offered me a seat probably see i keep on rubbing and touching my tummy (by then, the bump alrd showing a lil bit). But i sincerely didnt mean it to like "hinting her" that i am preg. I'm very very small size and petite, i just scared those people carrying big bags will bumped into me or my tummy. Everytime i board the train or walk into the train or walk out of the train, i will always cover my tummy with my hands just in case people rushing to get on/off train and bumped into me. But i think the lady noticed that i might be preg and offered me the seat anyway, to that, i'm really really grateful.

NingNingMummy

The lady must have been preggy herself before and so can interprete your actions.
Do take care.
i am big sized myself but i observed that most Petite people even if 8-9 mths preggy, we really can't see their baby bum bcos it's so small...

The lady must have been preggy herself before and so can interprete your actions.
Do take care.
i am big sized myself but i observed that most Petite people even if 8-9 mths preggy, we really can't see their baby bum bcos it's so small...
Yes, that's what i told my hubby too. Most prob she preg before so she can understand. If i wore those baggy dresses with no shape around the hip one, people definetely cannot tell that i'm preg. Until now, none of my colleagues even notice my tummy.

Tannie

NingNingMummy:647010 said:
Why? people gave up their seat for you, you should Thanks them properly... or she's feeling not good. Be understanding.. Else you can ask her whether she's ok?
Precisely I dun understand... even if u are not feeling well, u shld still hv basic courtesy... won't u feel even more grateful when ppl give up seat to u when u really need it? I dun expect anything bt I also dun expect to get black face as if I owe it to her...some ppl jus take things for granted...

Ekari

Wow, it has come to snatching a seat with a pregnant lady already? Some people just do not have the heart.

Kxmum

Actually mummies got to learn to take care of yourself, if you are not well or on a long journey you should ask for a seat, I am sure someone will give up the seat to you. Priority seats are not a form of entitlement, if ppl give up seats for you, they are doing you a favor. I don't think we shld complain if ppl don't do us favors. If you need a seat don't just there and feel sorry for yourself, do what's the best for you and your bb..ask for the seat !

Priority seats in other country like tw is left empty even if its on a crowded train.. No one will sit on it if u're nt e person who nd it.. U'll invite glares if you don't deserve tt seat bt was sitting on it.. I think such thing will nv be seen on sg..

Gloria454

Hi, the theme is very topical cause all the time I see pregnant woman and the reaction of man I feel angry, fortunately I go by car and never had this problem but still...

Janellebb

If we approach them and ask them to give up their seat for us will like very paiseh sia. And especially they give those faces and stares. Wth... Anyway i am a teen mum, i dont dare to ask for seats.. But my bump small not very obvious also.. Sometimes no seats on buses or trains very xinku.. Dont dare to ask for seats! :( seriously dont understand why they so inconsiderate.