Priority Seat - Rude and Inconsiderate woman. Please help to pass the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtan

Dear all,

I hope we can stand together in this.

I'm not sure how many of you are in the same position as I am.
I try my best to get a seat in trains ever since I found that I'm pregnant. I'm not afraid of myself falling, but, I'm afraid of people falling on me when the train brakes suddenly.

My latest trip to Japan made me realise how fortunate pregnant Japanese women are. Train operators give out a tag for them to tag to their bags so that other passengers know that they are expecting even though the tummy is not showing yet. I brought one back, but, that hardly work here.

Over the last two weeks, I'm really frustrated as I'm already into Week 26 and my tummy is already very obvious for my small build. I decided to start a photo album of inconsiderate people who did not offer their priority seats.

Today, I met one and took a picture of her. She did not offer me the seat even after finishing her sms and after one stop. However, she realised that I was taking a picture of her and ask me very rudely if I want the seat. I answered yes and she stood up and started hurling vulgarities at me and calling me a bitch. I scolded her back as I think she should be embarassed of herself! She walked away after about 20secs of cursing.

However, before she alighted at Novena station, she stopped by my seat and started cursing at me and my unborn baby! I'm speechless as I'm wondering if she is even ashamed of herself!

My husband just told me that I do have the rights to sue her for abusing me with language.

I'm posting her picture here and I intend to put this message up in Stomp and also to send this to SMRT.

If there are any lawyers reading this message, please kindly advise.

I seriously cannot tolerate actions like this and from someone who is obviously educated.

Attachments

sugarcookie

I don't really take trains very often but the few times I have, NO ONE gave up their seat to me. And I am obviously pregnant. People would start sms-ing or start falling "asleep" or just pretend they didn't see me. It really is frustrating.

As for this horrible woman who hurled vulgarities at you and your baby, she is really one crazy, inconsiderate b*tch!

Yuki Miaka

I am in my 5 months of pregnancy... same thing, hardly get a seat in mrt..even though my stomach already showing i am pregnant. They just ignore me or falling asleep within secs. but of course not all are like tht, there are still some who are very considerate and offering the seat. depends on luck ba i think...

I think quite a lot of ppl in singapore are still not used to giving up seat to someone that needed more.

I went to Taiwan, they also have seats for old ppl & pregnant, when me and my husband first took the train, we were wondering why there are some seats empty and ppl are standing at the side not sitting it.. so we sat down.. after that we realised that it's a special seat for old ppl or pregnant ppl so we quickly stand up again hehee.. however we do see ppl sitting at those seats in the peak hour but they are very willingly to give up seat when they see old ppl entering the train.

xtan -
i'm afraid there is little you can do to track this woman down or reprimand her for her actions. i believe in karma though - just believe she'll be punished elsewhere for being so rude!

i hate to say it but etiquette on trains in singapore is just really bad. i'm originally from the uk and find people there are much more willing to give up their seats if you're pregnant/old/with kids. here, people just fall asleep or run on the train to beat you to the seats. i find it one of the worst things about living here. the other day my hubby was on the train and a woman passed out. he bent down to help her and told someone to push the emergency button but no-one helped! one person even said that if they pushed the button the train would stop and they would be late for work. my hubby was so angry. he literally had to carry the woman himself off the train and make sure she was ok.

i travelled a lot on the mrt when i was pregnant. all the way up to 37 weeks and i think someone offered me their seat ONCE. even schoolkids who i would assume would be taught better wouldn't even flinch when i walked on. in the end, i just used to stand, usually by the doors so i could lean against something. the fact is people don't have to give up their seats - if you want to do something about it you should write to smrt and tell them that they should have some firmer rules about giving seats up to people who really need them....

MizfitMumma

Dear all,

I try my best to get a seat in trains ever since I found that I'm pregnant. I'm not afraid of myself falling, but, I'm afraid of people falling on me when the train brakes suddenly.

My latest trip to Japan made me realise how fortunate pregnant Japanese women are. Train operators give out a tag for them to tag to their bags so that other passengers know that they are expecting even though the tummy is not showing yet. I brought one back, but, that hardly work here.

Over the last two weeks, I'm really frustrated as I'm already into Week 26 and my tummy is already very obvious for my small build. I decided to start a photo album of inconsiderate people who did not offer their priority seats.

Today, I met one and took a picture of her. She did not offer me the seat even after finishing her sms and after one stop. However, she realised that I was taking a picture of her and ask me very rudely if I want the seat. I answered yes and she stood up and started hurling vulgarities at me and calling me a bitch. I scolded her back as I think she should be embarassed of herself! She walked away after about 20secs of cursing.

However, before she alighted at Novena station, she stopped by my seat and started cursing at me and my unborn baby! I'm speechless as I'm wondering if she is even ashamed of herself!

My husband just told me that I do have the rights to sue her for abusing me with language.

I'm posting her picture here and I intend to put this message up in Stomp and also to send this to SMRT.

I seriously cannot tolerate actions like this and from someone who is obviously educated.
She look veeeeerrrry inconsiderate to me. No one will offer their seats thou my tummy is showing too.:nah:

newmummy

i totally understand ur feelings....i'm 35 weeks preg n i take de train every single day...n i oways make sure tat i stand in front of de piority seat...n ppl can juz ignore n continue dth their things (eg chatting, slping) n occasionally glare at mi...lyk as if i'm an alien

i'm not saying tt all singaporeans r bad...some give their sets up when they see u...but some r really terrible...i was pushed out of the train door ytd when i was alightning...coz de person in front of mi refuse to move out n de person behind mi was so kan choing...

if i were u i would juz stand up n shout right in her face tat i wont want her stupid seat n be cursed by her...no matter how swollen my feet is...coz she totally have no right to...i hope tat when;s she preg noody gives her seat too...then she'll rmb wat she did to u

i think smrt should really do something abt it...sticking de preg n elderly pics is no use le...mayb they could announce it instead...lyk "pls give up ur seats to ppl who nd it more than u do"...how's tat? :tlaugh:

jojoki

i'm 35 weeks preggy and yes for as long as i took the mrt only 3 ever did gave up seat for me and out of that 3 times, twice someone else literally snatched the seat before I can put my bum down. Once was an indian lady and another time a 40 year old chinese lady... I'm like.. "Fine go ahead and seat... honestly I cant be bothered as i think face it, thats the kind of courtesy level that we have here in singapore... and I'm blessed enough to be fit and its no problem for me to stand during my long mrt journeys... take it as exercise lor.." But out of 3 times, its always the male who will ever stand up, the females.... forget it!

CanCanMum

HOW CAN SHE DO TAT??????!!!!! Giving up seat will die meh???? Does she really need it?????

YES! Please do so....hey....why u neber snap her face.....hahahha....wonder if i will recognise her when i travel in mrt....but she seems familiar ley.....

Anyway something i find quite funny oso....i take mrt to work everyday....there are woman who will go all out to snatch a seat....like run or walk from one cabin to another.....and guess what??? They only sat down for ONE STOP!!! Their bums have not even warmed the seat....dun understand their rationale from snatching....funny pple....and all happened to be woman in their mid 40s or late 30s....still young and mobile....

perrier

Dear all,

haha.. i am surprise why that lady did not die of shame after saying such words in front of the public. if she thinks she deserve the seat more than you, she can jolly-well continue to act that she is sleeping or totally ignore you...

my expectation of someone giving up a seat for me is so low that i usually stand at the side to avoid people from knocking onto me or from train stopping suddenly. if not most of the time i would choose to take a bus and i try to go home after peak hour so i can guaranteed myself a seat. too tired and lost any hope that someone will give up their seat for me. :)

jojoki

Anyway something i find quite funny oso....i take mrt to work everyday....there are woman who will go all out to snatch a seat....like run or walk from one cabin to another.....and guess what??? They only sat down for ONE STOP!!! Their bums have not even warmed the seat....dun understand their rationale from snatching....funny pple....and all happened to be woman in their mid 40s or late 30s....still young and mobile....
u r right... the lady who "snatched my seat" at bishan alighted at ang mo kio!! i was like .. huh????????

perrier

ha. just took the train from airport to boon lay after sending my husband off. guess what, not surprise that no one bothers to give up their seat to me, EVERY one on the train seems extremely tired, all were sleeping..

anyway i met a nice young man who was on a look out for seat for me during my journey... so nice of him! all thanks to him, i got a seat at raffles place station. :)

irene95337

I agree! Only man will be more willing to give up their seats for pregnant women. But u know what that piss me off? Those men who willing to give up their seats to me are all foreigner such as: China or Bangla worker taking the train. So far non of the pple who offer their seats are local :( What a shame!! BTW, XTan do u know why the woman did not give up her seat to u?? Coz her Gucci bag is heavier than ur baby mah!! wahahaha

xtan

Dear all, I'm glad that I have more humanly replies from fellow mothers & mothers-to-be here. I posted in stomp and there are many people there who scolded me for taking the picture, mentioned that we should ask for the seats (why don't they just say beg), we don't deserve the seat because they are fare-paying etc. But, they missed the part of this woman scolding me in public.

I give up on those people. Despite the more than 20 years of courtesy campaigns, they don't know the meaning of priority seats.

Like what I mentioned. I have taken many other pictures not to shame these people but to show to SMRT and SBS Transit that they have to do more.

From my recent trip to Japan, I found that train operators give bag tags (picture attached) to expecting mothers when their tummies are not showing yet. The tags are very well received by mothers-to-be and the general public there. I will continue to do this though many of my colleagues and friends think that it is useless.

My colleagues and husband asked me not to go to Stomp as those replies might upset me. I'm ok because I think those people are not really thinking when they write certain things. I do hope that they can talk to their mothers and wives before posting. Some mothers have also made negative comments and I don't understand why they are thinking that way.

I think inconsiderate people should be ashame of themselves. If I'm them, I will definitely not forgive myself should a pregnant woman be pushed to the ground while standing simply because I did not give up my seat.

Attachments

dyna

Hi all,

me too whenever i take the train or bus ppl will juz look at me instead of giving me seat.....am i doing a circus show!!!! worse is there is tis 1 time i board a bus, it was full wif ppl but i have no choice i nd to go to work.......the driver look at me & say 'hello, pls move inside' expecting me to squeeze with my big tummy.......

I am very dissappointed as during school times we were thought to be considerate, courtesy & give in to the needy. But now it seems that educated ppl everywhere is being selfish & inconsiderate.

AnXanne

This lady is really too . . . much, look at her arrogant and tuck up face -
"Arrogant woman, you are reminded here, you yourself will get pregnant one of these days, pls be consider to all mummy to be."

During my pregnancy, I really felt upset and awkward standing in public transport with my big tummy and most of the time, I was not offered with a seat . . . not only that, one incidents really piss me off . . . it was drizzling one morning on my way to work, the bus had just stopped at the bus stop, the nice lady in front of me stepped a side to the right inorder for me to board the bus first, then this guy on the left just squeezed himself in front of me and climbed up the bus.

Well, I did come across 2 really kind and nice guys during my previous pregnancy, the first happened in a DBS bank during the peak period, I was queuing at the back of the long queue (about 20 people infront of me), a guy in his early twenties (about the 5th in the queue) waved at me and offered to swopped his place with me . . . The next incident happened actually after my delivery, my tummy still showed, a guy in office wear sitting near to the bus exit quickly stood up to offered me his seat when he saw me, even though i was not pregnant then, I took up his offered gracefully and returned with a smile and "thank you". . . Thank you again guys!

CanCanMum

ha. just took the train from airport to boon lay after sending my husband off. guess what, not surprise that no one bothers to give up their seat to me, EVERY one on the train seems extremely tired, all were sleeping..

anyway i met a nice young man who was on a look out for seat for me during my journey... so nice of him! all thanks to him, i got a seat at raffles place station. :)
yeah....pregnant ladies has a special power...can hypnotise pple...weird hor....LOLs

my colleague used to tell me tat....so many pple fall asleep when she walked past....lols

CanCanMum

My colleagues and husband asked me not to go to Stomp as those replies might upset me. I'm ok because I think those people are not really thinking when they write certain things. I do hope that they can talk to their mothers and wives before posting. Some mothers have also made negative comments and I don't understand why they are thinking that way.
wheres the link?

or i just go search under Stomp???

CanCanMum

Hi all,

me too whenever i take the train or bus ppl will juz look at me instead of giving me seat.....am i doing a circus show!!!! worse is there is tis 1 time i board a bus, it was full wif ppl but i have no choice i nd to go to work.......the driver look at me & say 'hello, pls move inside' expecting me to squeeze with my big tummy.......

I am very dissappointed as during school times we were thought to be considerate, courtesy & give in to the needy. But now it seems that educated ppl everywhere is being selfish & inconsiderate.
my school motto was "Honesty, Perseverence and Courtesy"....wonder how many from my sec school still remembereD????? LOLs....

Porukadotzu

Dear all, I'm glad that I have more humanly replies from fellow mothers & mothers-to-be here. I posted in stomp and there are many people there who scolded me for taking the picture, mentioned that we should ask for the seats (why don't they just say beg), we don't deserve the seat because they are fare-paying etc. But, they missed the part of this woman scolding me in public.

I give up on those people. Despite the more than 20 years of courtesy campaigns, they don't know the meaning of priority seats.

Like what I mentioned. I have taken many other pictures not to shame these people but to show to SMRT and SBS Transit that they have to do more.

From my recent trip to Japan, I found that train operators give bag tags (picture attached) to expecting mothers when their tummies are not showing yet. The tags are very well received by mothers-to-be and the general public there. I will continue to do this though many of my colleagues and friends think that it is useless.

I think inconsiderate people should be ashame of themselves. If I'm them, I will definitely not forgive myself should a pregnant woman be pushed to the ground while standing simply because I did not give up my seat.

hi, i agree with you that this type of things need to be highlited.. but how the transport operators know that this women really pregnant or they just want more facility available?

over in japan maybe women won't lie when she not being pregnant but here ppl very kiasu one?

that women tat you snap the photo look so troubled.. maybe she just got dumped n can't even see the sign behind her hahaa..stress!!

i tink we have to encourage our children to give up seats to those who needed since they are very young... some mothers are just so kiasu they teach their kids to be kiasu also, ya know, like .."always be the fastest and don't give in to other ppl otherwise you get nothing in the end etc"...

Status
Not open for further replies.