1 week old baby making grunting and groaning sound

sherz4628

My 1 week old baby keep making sounds like "urrrrgh!" and "arrrrgh!" all day long. Be it day, night, when burping, when pooing, or simply lying on bed, we'll keep hearing these noise. Sometimes accompanied by body stretching, hand n leg stretching. He's nt crying but we wonder if he is in discomfort. Any one experience this before?

marshmallows

It's normal. My boy used to make these stretching sounds too, most of the time stretch til his face turned red too haha! In fact he sounded like a horse neighing at times. My mum says baby had been all curled up inside our tummy, so after they come out they like to stretch :)

sherz4628

Really? It gt worse last night.. Whole night he making these sounds while kicking his legs.. Sometimes he'll grunt so hard that he chokes. Sounds like when we're constipated in the toilet n trying to poo..

Shiawase

My baby is 2 weeks old.. I also realize that he is making groaning sounds very often till his face is all red.. Is it okay to leave him to groan? The confinement lady says tt it's due to gas in the tummy.. Is there any way to help him relieve the gas? So far we tried to apply oil on his tummy.. Still he groans pretty often..

MamaPo

My little baby girl is 43 days old and she used to make such noises too. Being a first time parent I was really concerned too.
I was also told that it might be due to gas. My mother in law would rub medicated oil on her tummy to help release the gas.
It helped a little, but be sure to mix it with baby oil because with the medicated oil will be too hot for the little baby.
Another thing is I spent longer burping her.
I also went to buy a better anti colic feeding bottle for her. It has been 2 weeks since, and I have seen a vast improvement.

ast0212

Yep it's normal. They're getting used to their bodily functions. It's not very comfortable feeling milk digesting and pooing or gas if you've never felt those sensations while in mummy's tummy! :p

durianfan

My little baby girl is 43 days old and she used to make such noises too. Being a first time parent I was really concerned too.
I was also told that it might be due to gas. My mother in law would rub medicated oil on her tummy to help release the gas.
It helped a little, but be sure to mix it with baby oil because with the medicated oil will be too hot for the little baby.
Another thing is I spent longer burping her.
I also went to buy a better anti colic feeding bottle for her. It has been 2 weeks since, and I have seen a vast improvement.
Can I know what brand of feeding bottle are you using ?

Mummy to Baby V

Ha, both my boys do that, and it's very noisy at night. I call it the horse neigh too. Now, the baby is 3 months old and sleeps quietly.

To relieve tummy gas, do tummy massage several times a day. Both my boys were very gassy. Every time I observe that he's trying to pass gas, will start to massage his tummy, and he'll pass a lot of gas, and smile! :) check YouTube videos for instructions.